Bag For Carrying 12" Records

Paulb

So I'll stick with my heavy duty Red Bull Music Academy trolley bag which is better than Greg's 'cos I can nonchalantly wheel it through airports whilst locating my limo......

I actually looked for a trolley bag for this tour mate, and it seems they're really tough to find at the moment. Most models I used to use aren't made anymore, so what's good about the bag I picked up, is that it slots nicely onto the top of a wheely piece of carry on/laptop bag etc. Plus pockets for hardware, and rain proof flaps on the top....nice feature for the UK!   :lol:

Social source share

I actually looked for a trolley bag for this tour mate, and it seems they're really tough to find at the moment. Most models I used to use aren't made anymore, so what's good about the bag I picked up, is that it slots nicely onto the top of a wheely piece of carry on/laptop bag etc. Plus pockets for hardware, and rain proof flaps on the top....nice feature for the UK!   :lol:

Trolleys are just much more practical for Albums & 12"s these days. I can't believe that I used to lug 2 x 200 count crates of 12" vinyl to every gig 10 years ago. These days I choose carefully and select the 50 that I wanna play. Same with 7"'s. I used to take a 400 count box minimum. I've now whittled that down to a 200 count box which fits in a suitcase.

Naturally I also have my portable hard-drive with another 200,000 tunes as backup.  :lol:

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Record bags are so1990's... Why not invest in a smart 12 inch record case, available from HMV before they all close down. Be the man of mystery and carry a case to avoid looking like a delivery boy or raver...

Hmmm.....be the man of mystery..... I like the sound of that. This could be the change of direction I've been longing for. My life is depressing and I don't really have any friends. Becoming a man of mystery would change all that. Women would want me and men would want to be me. Yes....man of mystery......

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Haha LOL. Tremendous answers.

However, I'm not sure that that being a man of mystery with a nicked paper boy's bag ticks all the boxes. Half the point of wielding a big bag of albums and 12"'s is the subliminal message that you're carrying records, therefore must be a DJ, therefore must be cool and therefore women will want you and men will want to be you.....no point in disguising the records with a unfeasible bag.....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney

A "record bag"....ffs!

Whatever happened to a bag with some records in it?

....a record bag...... Christ!!!

Nothing new, been around and available on the high street since 1990. Designed to protect the records - why would that be a bad idea. Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Yes exactly, it is a self reinforcing pretense of significant truth........................didn't people carry  records around in bags before 1990 then?

I used an old gasmask case................

Edited by scal
Social source share

Haha LOL. Tremendous answers.

However, I'm not sure that that being a man of mystery with a nicked paper boy's bag ticks all the boxes. Half the point of wielding a big bag of albums and 12"'s is the subliminal message that you're carrying records, therefore must be a DJ, therefore must be cool and therefore women will want you and men will want to be you.....no point in disguising the records with a unfeasible bag.....

The big metal lockings one are still the dogs b*llocks, until you try and lift them, and I suspect they would take up a whole families luggage allowance on a plane. But they look the business and you can get lots in and some CD's in the front so they win for me, especially as the one I have was free, aka borrowed from a mate, about 4 years ago!

As an aside, I did my first DJing of a memory stick last weekend, and apart from the fact it included Calvin Harris and David Guetta, I think I could get used to 4000 tracks in my pocket! OVO, pah I stomp on it, OWHDO from now on.....

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yes exactly, it is a self reinforcing pretense of significant truth........................didn't people carry  records around in bags before 1990 then?

I used an old gasmask case................

Of course they did, in 1990 someone decided to sell bags designed purely for that purpose. I wouldn't let that wind you up though.

Social source share

That's great................protect those records.............................on the move....................................peace of mind..................................there were only 10 significant years  in the 20th Century.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

That's great................protect those records.............................on the move....................................peace of mind..................................there were only 10 significant years in the 20th Century.

Erm... yep, 1970 to 80 for some.

Social source share

To keep this thread a bit more balanced and reduce the carbon footprint.....lets ditch the bags and talk bike panniers.

You could have fun packing your left and right containers.

Yee har..... saddle bags.......what about those then, Hombres!?

Social source share

I think the guy just wanted a bit of advice mate,

'An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion'.

Best Russ

Social source share

I think the guy just wanted a bit of advice mate,

'An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion'.

Best Russ

In Yorkshire slang a troll is a tw*t, I would use the "C" word but some don't like it  :wicked:   :)

Social source share

To keep this thread a bit more balanced and reduce the carbon footprint.....lets ditch the bags and talk bike panniers.

You could have fun packing your left and right containers.

Yee har..... saddle bags.......what about those then, Hombres!?

Off topic, I know, but worthy of a reply, I feel...

You may jest, and as comedic as it may sound, living in the Netherlands and occasionally playing records at the Amsterdam Soul Club and other places, that's exactly what I do. I don't have a car and so cycle everywhere. Pannier choice is made entirely with record boxes and 12" vinyl in mind.

My bike can take a 120 count singles box on each side. Or I can mix and match with smaller 45 boxes & some 12's if needed.

Before moving house last December, the cycle ride to the Amsterdam Soul Club was 8 miles, and half of that's through the pitch dark Amsterdam woods. Now that I've moved it's 11 miles there and 11 miles back - and it's not always a smooth ride, particularly when it's tipping it down and you can't see where you're going.

Always relatively easy on the outbound journey, but often a bit tricker after a good few beers at three or four in the morning!

It may seem trivial to some, but how to transport records from home to venue is actually of quite some importance to me and to others - hence why this whole discussion about record bags is taking place.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A "record bag"....ffs!

Whatever happened to a bag with some records in it?

....a record bag...... Christ!!!

Bit of a stupid comment.  Surely even if you've never needed one yourself you can think of a scenario where you might need one?  eg if you were a DJ and needed to transport 12" singles or LPs anywhere for DJing, in which case a dedicated bag for records is pretty much essential as you'll be carrying your 45s case, headphones etc with your hands.   Unless you were not bothered about keeping the records in a decent condition in which case you can just shove them in any old  bag with your fishing tackle / football boots etc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!