2 Huge Box Sets Coming Up - Average White Band & Chairmen Of The Board

These could be of interest to Soul Source readers...

Average White Band - All The Pieces — The Complete Studio Recordings 1971-2003

3DPackshotAverageWhiteBand.jpghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Pieces-Complete-Recordings-1973-2003/dp/B00KJJSFU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1403703126&sr=1-1&keywords=average+white+band

Average White Band are widely and rightly regarded as one of the best ever soul and funk bands.

Although probably best known for their global hit, the US #1 single ‘Pick Up The Pieces’, this extensive anthology delves back into their musical history, from the early sessions in 1971, right up to the most recent studio album released this millennium.

‘All The Pieces…’ features the band’s entire catalogue of recorded material on a 19CD box set, which includes all of the original studio albums (and ‘spoilers’ ‘Put It Where You Want It’ and ‘Volume VIII’) in mini-vinyl replica wallets, alternate versions and selected mixes, in this 172-track collection.

The box set includes the collectable re-packaged debut album ‘Show Your Hand’ — ‘Put It Where You Want It’ — whilst ‘Person To Person’ is packaged as a 2 disc gatefold wallet — to reflect the original 2LP set, ‘Feel No Fret’ is packaged as a gatefold release.

The bonus CDs wallet artwork has been created by the legendary John Pasche.

AWB’s repertoire has been a source of inspiration for many R&B acts, who have sampled their material and who cite AWB’s grooves as a major influence.

The 52-page booklet includes an 11,000+ word liner note by US musicologist, Justin M. Kantor and includes recent historical recollections undertaken with Alan Gorrie and Hamish Stuart.

Chairmen of the Board - The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings 1969-1978

COTBOX01-ChairmenOfTheBoard3Dpackshot.jphttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Invictus-Recordings-1969-1978/dp/B00JYDGJG8/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1403703264&sr=1-3&keywords=chairman+of+the+board

Motown’s legendary songwriting/production team, Holland-Dozier-Holland, left the fold in 1967, to establish their own Invictus/Hot Wax group of labels.

They had worldwide hits with their flagship act, Chairmen Of The Board, debuted the first album by Parliament, as well as scoring a UK #1 with Freda Payne’s ‘Band of Gold.

Chairmen Of The Board were unusual at the time, with all the group members being featured vocalists in its line-up.

This 9CD, 97-track anthology includes Chairmen Of The Board’s four studio albums for Invictus, as well as the Invictus solo albums released by General Johnson, Danny Woods and Harrison Kennedy.

The two bonus discs include alternate versions, non-album singles and selected mixes, including two Tom Moulton remixes of their two biggest UK hits ‘Give Me Just A Little More Time’ and ‘(You’ve Got Me) Dangling On A String’, which were first released in 2014.

The 36-page booklet includes a 6,500+ word liner note by Dean Rudland.

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

These acts released a lot of stuff, but have they done anything for the deeper 'musicologist' (person with good taste).

Only awb track I can remember liking is 'stop the rain' back in the acid jazz days, and even then, Lena Conquest made a better track out of it.

similarly, I only remember liking one cotb track a bit - 'when will she tell me she needs me'

Social source share

Nearly there Frank....the word "could" should be replaced by 'isn't'!!!!

What next Joey Dee and The Starlighters compilation, Gary Lewis and The Playboys tunes for American teens of the early '60's, a Foundations or Hot Chocolate anthology???

Social source share

These acts released a lot of stuff, but have they done anything for the deeper 'musicologist' (person with good taste).

Only awb track I can remember liking is 'stop the rain' back in the acid jazz days, and even then, Lena Conquest made a better track out of it.

similarly, I only remember liking one cotb track a bit - 'when will she tell me she needs me'

Oh, I don't know about that. I'm pretty partial to the Average White Band. So many 70's classics to their name and some wonderful stuff - "Queen Of My Soul", "A Love Of Your Own", "If I Ever Lose This Heaven", "Atlantic Avenue" are all great records to me. Very popular in the U.S. but they hardly had any hits over here. In fact, I'm looking forward to listening through their stuff again. Managed to blag one, so I'll report back in a few months when I've digested it all. I also like Chairmen Of The Board for mainly nostalgic reasons - "Everything's Tuesday" and "I'm On My Way To A Better Place" especially.

But I should point out that I'm posting these up for a colleague who asked me nicely if I could post 'em up. I had nought to do with these personally.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Nearly there Frank....the word "could" should be replaced by 'isn't'!!!!

What next Joey Dee and The Starlighters compilation, Gary Lewis and The Playboys tunes for American teens of the early '60's, a Foundations or Hot Chocolate anthology???

Actually these aren't mine Scal. I'm posting 'em up for a colleague. And I'd do a Foundations anthology in a second! Although this one does the trick at the moment:-

https://www.discogs.com/Foundations-The-Foundations/master/672571

Social source share

Oh, I don't know about that. I'm pretty partial to the Average White Band. So many 70's classics to their name and some wonderful stuff - "Queen Of My Soul", "A Love Of Your Own", "If I Ever Lose This Heaven", "Atlantic Avenue" are all great records to me. Very popular in the U.S. but they hardly had any hits over here. In fact, I'm looking forward to listening through their stuff again. Managed to blag one, so I'll report back in a few months when I've digested it all. I also like Chairmen Of The Board for mainly nostalgic reasons - "Everything's Tuesday" and "I'm On My Way To A Better Place" especially.

But I should point out that I'm posting these up for a colleague who asked me nicely if I could post 'em up. I had nought to do with these personally.

Ian D :)

"I'm on my way to a better place" top, top, tune my friend who passed away a few years ago had this played at his funeral (not a dry eye in the place) got request's to play it for about 2yrs after in that area!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"I'm on my way to a better place" top, top, tune my friend who passed away a few years ago had this played at his funeral (not a dry eye inthe place) got request's to play it for about 2yrs after in that area!!! :thumbsup:

I played on the show when General Johnson passed away. Not a dry eye there either. Probably one of the best funeral songs ever.....

I'm On My Way To A Better Place - Chairmen Of The Board

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

The CoB set is £19.99 on Amazon. For 9 CD's worth. :ohmy: Having bought the H-D-H box, I wasn't sure I would need this but at that price? Pre-ordered!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Invictus-Recordings-1969/dp/B00JYDGJG8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405497670&sr=8-2&keywords=chairman+of+the+board

That price is nuts. Gotta be worth it just to have 'em on the shelves I'd have thought......

Ian :)

Social source share

That price is nuts. Gotta be worth it just to have 'em on the shelves I'd have thought......

Ian :)

I ran out of shelf space some time ago. It'll end up in one of the precarious piles of stuff that I shuffle around occasionally to try to make it look less obvious where all my money goes........

Social source share

I ran out of shelf space some time ago. It'll end up in one of the precarious piles of stuff that I shuffle around occasionally to try to make it look less obvious where all my money goes........

But think about the archive you're accumulating. Those precarious piles of stuff are worth more than money can ever buy. Being surrounded by indiscriminate piles of music formats makes you a much better person and will guarantee you a long and happy life. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had the pleasure of having a pint with Hamish Stuart last year in Hale. Always have the white album on my play list.

How can you not like this

https://youtu.be/wXiNIrUL1zw

I just remembered that I saw 'em live in the late 70s somewhere (maybe Manchester?) and they were just exceptional. Hamish Stuart is the most soulful Scottish vocalist of all time in my view. He's just incredible. I was lucky enough to be living in the U.S. when they ruled the airwaves, so I've always had a lot of regard for 'em, for songs like this:-

"Queen Of My Soul" - Average White Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62VdWyfy6E

"If I Ever Lose This Heaven" - Average White Band

"Work To Do" - Average White Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEDC52o0nk

And my favorite of 'em all....

"Atlantic Avenue" - Average White Band

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Skin I'm In is a good album. Almost like a lost Parliament album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFTssM_eG8#t=43

Social source share

I just remembered that I saw 'em live in the late 70s somewhere (maybe Manchester?) and they were just exceptional. Hamish Stuart is the most soulful Scottish vocalist of all time in my view. He's just incredible. I was lucky enough to be living in the U.S. when they ruled the airwaves, so I've always had a lot of regard for 'em, for songs like this:-

I saw them at the Odeon on Oxford Rd in Manchester (I think it was the Cut the Cake tour) so I guess 1975. They were terrific. I have a vague memory that they were supported by Osibisa but I might be making that up....

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

But think about the archive you're accumulating. Those precarious piles of stuff are worth more than money can ever buy. Being surrounded by indiscriminate piles of music formats makes you a much better person and will guarantee you a long and happy life. 

....or a guarantee to end up a 'Hoarders' TV programme

Social source share

Average  White  Band , 19 c.d.s ???  come on , whos going to buy that ? surely a greatest hits package of 25 tracks or so would cover that base .  Dont get me wrong , they had a great sound and there material still sounds good today ,but  19 c.d.s  ,dearie me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!