Need Some Ideas - What To Do About A Problem

Pete S

I've got this annoying problem and it's been happening for years and I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to go about solving it.

The problem is as follows.

I put a list out at say 10am on a monday morning. At 10.15, someone emails me and says "have you got the ray pollard record" so I email back saying yes I have, please let me know if you want it.

I hear nothing from the person who emailed me and meanwhile 3 other people have asked about the same record.

Usually I give it an hour and then offer it to the next person.

Right, there's a second version of this and it's exactly the same except in their original email, they say "have you got the ray pollard record, if so please reserve it", so I email back saying I have got it and I have reserved it.

I then hear nothing else. They never bother to pay for it and meanwhile I have to put people off because it's reserved for someone.

This is something I should have resolved years ago but I don't know how to get round it. Should I say "If you email me to ask about a record, I will take that as a definite order and charge your card"?

What if I haven't got their card details?

Should I tell everyone that I will not accept any orders unless they are accompanied with either permission to charge their card, or their actual card details?

Or maybe only accept orders over the phone?

I've got records here I pulled for people on monday and they haven't bothered to get back in touch, even if just to cancel the order. So I now have to chase the second person who ordered to see if they still want it.

I realise that this is not a major problem in worldwide terms but it's f*cking annoying.

Any ideas on how to get together a method that actually works?

(Oh, and why do people order records when they have no intention of buying them?)

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got this annoying problem and it's been happening for years and I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to go about solving it.

I put a list out at say 10am on a monday morning. At 10.15, someone emails me and says "have you got the ray pollard record" so I email back saying yes I have, please let me know if you want it.

I hear nothing from the person who emailed me and meanwhile 3 other people have asked about the same record.

Right, there's a second version of this and it's exactly the same except in their original email, they say "have you got the ray pollard record, if so please reserve it", so I email back saying I have got it and I have reserved it.

I then hear nothing else. They never bother to pay for it and meanwhile I have to put people off because it's reserved for someone.

This is something I should have resolved years ago but I don't know how to get round it. Should I say "If you email me to ask about a record, I will take that as a definite order and charge your card"?

Should I tell everyone that I will not accept any orders unless they are accompanied with either permission to charge their card, or their actual card details?

I've got records here I pulled for people on monday and they haven't bothered to get back in touch, even if just to cancel the order. So I now have to chase the second person who ordered to see if they still want it.

I realise that this is not a major problem in worldwide terms but it's f*cking annoying.

(Oh, and why do people order records when they have no intention of buying them?)

pete

if it is someone you are not sure of ask for a 10% non refundable deposit to hold it for 1 week, if not re-contacted by then it will be put up for sale again,

mark

Social source share

I don't think it would be unreasonable to have an order secured with credit card details. Must be really annoying and undoubtedly time consuming doing it the way you are at present.

Hey, it's a tough world out there... if they really want it, they won't mind paying for it!

Good plan Mark.B!

Social source share

Pete

I've actually had the first problem a couple of times with you in the distant past - we solved it by me stating in emails 'if you've still got xxxxx, charge it to my CC card. I'll ring later to confirm the number' As you had a valid CC numbe, you replied saying that you'd charged it and the record was mine. This worked OK, and it gives the vendor 'written' (if you needed to print out the email) of confirmation of a non face-to-face CC transaction.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Hi Pete,

I've been buying stuff from you for years and I don't know why people have to reserve things. You either want it or you don't. You have my card details and you charge me, straightforward. I don't mind paying by CC because you always enclose the slip and it never has the card number displayed so it is totally secure. If people haven't got the money to buy it they shouldn't contact you.

If they prefer to pay by cheque then give them 3 or 4 days otherwise it goes to the next person who asked for it.

Kev

My only complaint is the self adhesive glue on those mailers you use is a b*****d to get open and you can never re-use them - I end up tearing them to shreds.

Social source share

Hi Pete,

I'd go along with those that suggest a deposit be charged to hold the record.

You offer a Professional service. Customers should be prepared, at least, to pay a deposit if they are unable to commit outright to the purchase (for whatever the reason).

You're simply asking them to put their money where their mouth is.

If you dont operate such a system, people will take advantage... and you'll end up with an ulcer!.

Look on it like running a Hotel.

If you saved a room and didn't take a deposit, while turning others away because guy number one made a 'reservation' you'd simply go bust... if he didn't show!

Deposit = Reservation. Otherwise it's on the market to the next person who wants it.

Thats good business!

On the other side of the coin Pete, you are the best dealer I've had the pleasure of doing business with in years - but I wont say why on here.

You deliver the goods mate. You dont deserve the grief.

Implement a deposit scheme asap. Good advice.

Sean Hampsey

:shades::shades:blush.gif

Social source share

Hi Pete,

I've been buying stuff from you for years and I don't know why people have to reserve things. You either want it or you don't. You have my card details and you charge me, straightforward. I don't mind paying by CC because you always enclose the slip and it never has the card number displayed so it is totally secure. If people haven't got the money to buy it they shouldn't contact you.

If they prefer to pay by cheque then give them 3 or 4 days otherwise it goes to the next person who asked for it.

Kev

My only complaint is the self adhesive glue on those mailers you use is a b*****d to get open and you can never re-use them - I end up tearing them to shreds.

What, those white mailers?

They're good those, and they cost less than the brown ones from covers 33. I get them from Tramiki supplies, best in the business I reckon. If you slit them down the sides you can reuse them

Social source share

Just going back to this original problem. Thanks for the suggestions. It's happened again today. Someone ordered a record monday night, I told them it was available in an email sent at 8.30 tuesday morning, by midnight last night (wednesday) I hadn't heard, so I sold it to someone else. I now have an email from the original person saying he is no longer a customer of mine as I sold it after six hours. It was 36 hours.

What about if I just announce that I won't take email orders from the UK anymore so people have to ring through with a definite order?

Social source share

Hi Pete

I have had this in the past, particularly with tickets for events. I dont reserve anything nowadays, get them to pay at the time they order.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Hi Pete

I have had this in the past, particularly with tickets for events. I dont reserve anything nowadays, get them to pay at the time they order.

Cheers

Paddy

The problem is though mate, they send an email to ask if the item is available and I reply either yes or no - it's then that the problem starts because if I hold it, waiting for a reply, I then get others asking for the same record but feel obliged to wait for the original enquirer to get back to me. If I could get people to make their initial enquiry the actual order, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Social source share

Just going back to this original problem. Thanks for the suggestions. It's happened again today. Someone ordered a record monday night, I told them it was available in an email sent at 8.30 tuesday morning, by midnight last night (wednesday) I hadn't heard, so I sold it to someone else. I now have an email from the original person saying he is no longer a customer of mine as I sold it after six hours. It was 36 hours.

What about if I just announce that I won't take email orders from the UK anymore so people have to ring through with a definite order?

I agree with the points raised so far.....You're running a business.

But just thought I'd point out a flip-side.. :lol: ...to the arguement.

Your records are always priced well, so it's near on impossible, as you well know, to get to you quick enough to snap up that well wanted single.

The first time I managed to be the first to get one....I replied straight back with my card details and waited for the postman.

After a few days, being the impatient person I am.. :D , I e-mailed you back asking where it was...

My e-mail bounced back..... unsure.gif

I posted up on ss to find you, thought the aliens had wisked you away.... :D

Turns out you hadn't receive my e-mail with the details and had sold said record.... :(

I didn't throw my toys outa the pram, as I realised sh.. happens...

I will fone next time..... :shades:

So, a thought might be....if someone is the first to ask for a record, they should then fone you with payment straight away or risk losing it.

PS.....I did tongue in cheek, ask how you wanted payment at the beginning of the e-mail....serves me right.... :shades:

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The problem is though mate, they send an email to ask if the item is available and I reply either yes or no - it's then that the problem starts because if I hold it, waiting for a reply, I then get others asking for the same record but feel obliged to wait for the original enquirer to get back to me. If I could get people to make their initial enquiry the actual order, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Make it clear, no reservations, send your payment details with the e.mail if you want a record or confirm that a cheque will be sent immediately, if someone doesn't then respond by giving them an hour to stump up. You have always been excellent at getting stuff sent out, it isn't that hard to make a card payment immediately. Sure a few people might not have a card and need to send a cheque so they should make that clear.

You may want to allow a few people deposits until payday fair enough, but I guess that'd be people that you know already and who won't p#ss about?

Social source share

Make it clear, no reservations, send your payment details with the e.mail if you want a record or confirm that a cheque will be sent immediately, if someone doesn't then respond by giving them an hour to stump up. You have always been excellent at getting stuff sent out, it isn't that hard to make a card payment immediately. Sure a few people might not have a card and need to send a cheque so they should make that clear.

You may want to allow a few people deposits until payday fair enough, but I guess that'd be people that you know already and who won't p#ss about?

Yeah that sounds about right mate, if I put something together will you have a read of it for me, I don't want to word it so people get put off!

Social source share

How about this, when you email to confirm you have a record still available, you say it will be reserved for 24 hours, and then if you haven't received payment it will become available to anyone again. That way, using me as an example, I could email you Monday night asking if you still had a record, you would reply Tuesday morning, but I'm at work and don't get home till 5 pm so don't see your email until then. But when I read it, I can either pay within the 24 hour period, ie when I get home from work, or at least email you to say I'm sending a cheque, or it becomes available to anyone else.

ps have you still got the Ray Pollard ?

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Why dont you just do instant payments from the website?

AND if they ask you if youve got something just say "yes" but all records are first come first served - call me with your credit card now to guarantee it"

Punters generally pay immediately if they want it

I don't know how to do website stuff mate. I can't even put up an updated list of records.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Don't put recods On Hold.

It's annoying for punters too when you see a list only to be told the record you really want is 'on hold'.

With the option of both paypal and credit cards people have the ability to purchase instantly.

First come first served.

Social source share

How about this, when you email to confirm you have a record still available, you say it will be reserved for 24 hours, and then if you haven't received payment it will become available to anyone again. That way, using me as an example, I could email you Monday night asking if you still had a record, you would reply Tuesday morning, but I'm at work and don't get home till 5 pm so don't see your email until then. But when I read it, I can either pay within the 24 hour period, ie when I get home from work, or at least email you to say I'm sending a cheque, or it becomes available to anyone else.

ps have you still got the Ray Pollard ?

Ah but could you not have phoned me on monday night, or send the order attached to one of your racing pigeons?

Social source share

I agree with the points raised so far.....You're running a business.

But just thought I'd point out a flip-side.. :lol: ...to the arguement.

Your records are always priced well, so it's near on impossible, as you well know, to get to you quick enough to snap up that well wanted single.

The first time I managed to be the first to get one....I replied straight back with my card details and waited for the postman.

After a few days, being the impatient person I am.. :D , I e-mailed you back asking where it was...

My e-mail bounced back..... unsure.gif

I posted up on ss to find you, thought the aliens had wisked you away.... :D

Turns out you hadn't receive my e-mail with the details and had sold said record.... :(

I didn't throw my toys outa the pram, as I realised sh.. happens...

I will fone next time..... :shades:

So, a thought might be....if someone is the first to ask for a record, they should then fone you with payment straight away or risk losing it.

PS.....I did tongue in cheek, ask how you wanted payment at the beginning of the e-mail....serves me right.... :shades:

I've got another copy now Sian :(

Social source share

OK this is what I'm going to send out, reckon this is ok???

PLEASE READ - CHANGES TO ORDERING SYSTEM

Hello,

I'm having to make some changes to the way that the lists are run, notably in the process of ordering and reserving items.

The problem is that I will often receive an email asking if an item is available. I email back to say that it is. Meanwhile other people ask about the same record, but I am still waiting for confirmation from the first enquirer, and in many cases I hear nothing back at all.

In other cases, I am asked to reserve a record for someone, I put everyone else off as I am presuming that it is sold, yet I never receive payment for it from the first enquirer.

I also get asked if I have an item, I reply that I have, I hear nothing so I sell it to the next person and then the original person comes back wanting to know why I have sold it.

So once and for all I am going to have to sort this out, it's been going on for 8 years now and it's getting ridiculous.

From now on, there will be no reservations. It's first come, first served. If you order via email, then that will be considered a sale and you will have to enclose your payment details if I don't already have them. If you don't enclose payment details, then I will not regard that email as an order. (You can ring me any time between 10 and 5 to register your details with me if you wish - I do have a large percentage of peoples details already but many are missing the 3 digit code from the reverse of the card).

Obviously it is preferable if people in the UK phone as opposed to emailing. If you don't want to pay by card (or paypal), then I will need confirmation that a cheque will be sent that day and I will save the record for 4 days, if the cheque hasn't arrived within that period then the record will be re-advertised.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences anyone but as you may or may not know, selling records is my only source of income, I don't have massive stocks of records, so each sale is important, and I am constantly losing sales because of this reserving and not receiving payment problem.

Thanks for reading.

pete

Social source share

Guest rachel

why do they have to email - i know if i wanted something on his list i would ring and have my card handy there and then

Not always convenient to phone - e.g. if at work :shades:

Social source share

From now on, there will be no reservations. It's first come, first served. If you order via email, then that will be considered a sale and you will have to enclose your payment details if I don't already have them. If you don't enclose payment details, then I will not regard that email as an order. (You can ring me any time between 10 and 5 to register your details with me if you wish - I do have a large percentage of peoples details already but many are missing the 3 digit code from the reverse of the card).

Obviously it is preferable if people in the UK phone as opposed to emailing. If you don't want to pay by card (or paypal), then I will need confirmation that a cheque will be sent that day and I will save the record for 4 days, if the cheque hasn't arrived within that period then the record will be re-advertised.

Thanks for reading.

pete

Sounds good to me that Pete.

One thing though, to me ordering by email if infinitely easier then phoning for a record (how many of us have memories of trying to contact Soul Bowl for an hour only to find it'd gone when you finally got thru!).

However, ordering by email means that the dealer has to have a certain etiquette. The most important thing to me when ordering records by email is that the seller honors the first person who contacts them whether it be by email, snail mail or phone. And that's an etiquette you definitely have :shades:

Keep up the good work mate and keep them tunes flowing :shades:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

PLEASE READ - CHANGES TO ORDERING SYSTEM

Hello,

I'm having to make some changes to the way that the lists are run, notably in the process of ordering and reserving items.

The problem is that I will often receive an email asking if an item is available. I email back to say that it is. Meanwhile other people ask about the same record, but I am still waiting for confirmation from the first enquirer, and in many cases I hear nothing back at all.

In other cases, I am asked to reserve a record for someone, I put everyone else off as I am presuming that it is sold, yet I never receive payment for it from the first enquirer.

I also get asked if I have an item, I reply that I have, I hear nothing so I sell it to the next person and then the original person comes back wanting to know why I have sold it.

So once and for all I am going to have to sort this out, it's been going on for 8 years now and it's getting ridiculous.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences anyone but as you may or may not know, selling records is my only source of income, I don't have massive stocks of records, so each sale is important, and I am constantly losing sales because of this reserving and not receiving payment problem.

Thanks for reading.

pete

Hi Pete

That reads fine to me mate. It is exactly what is needed for you.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Pete,

I have a similar (?) problem in my business, I have only 5 tables in my dining room in my pub which can accomodate a varying maximum number of people between 16 and 20 depending how the tables and seating are arranged. People phone and book tables for certain times and a specific number of people. We stagger the booking times so that we manage the workload in the kitchen.

What actually happens is that a table for 2 booked for 7.30 turns up with 4 people at 7, the 4 booked at 7 also turn up at 7, the 2 at 8 don't turn up at all, the 6 booked for 8.30 ring at 6.30 and ask if its OK to make it an 8 then turn up at 9 with only 4.

A prime example was last night when a 4 booked at 7.30 turned up at 7.45 and wanted to eat in the Garden, the 9 for 8 o'clock rang to say there were now an 11 (!!!), I turned a 4 away at 8 because I didn't think we could cope with 15 people all at once then the 11 turned up eventually at 9 o'clock and there were only 9 of them.

My business would run a lot smoother if it wasn't for the customers.

:shades:

Social source share

Pete,

What actually happens is that a table for 2 booked for 7.30 turns up with 4 people at 7, the 4 booked at 7 also turn up at 7, the 2 at 8 don't turn up at all, the 6 booked for 8.30 ring at 6.30 and ask if its OK to make it an 8 then turn up at 9 with only 4.

don't forget the three before eight.

re deposits etc, on the odd occasions i sell records (obviously not really comparable to someone whose business it is, but principle is the same) and people say, will you hold it, i always say i will but if someone comes in with a firm buy i'm going to let them have it. that allows people to hold if haven't got the money, while taking the risk it might go, and for the vendor it removes the risk of losing a sale. simple enough.

Social source share

Guest rachel

sorry like, but if it's convenient to read the email list then it's convenient to call. and if it isnt then it's tough if it's already gone innit :lol:

But nobody can hear you emailing... :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Ah but could you not have phoned me on monday night, or send the order attached to one of your racing pigeons?

How could I send you an order attached to one of my racing pigeons ? the bloody thing would come back to me, not you.

You would have to supply all your potential customers with pigeons so that they would come back to you.

Shheeeesh, I thought you would have known that :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert