Curator For Soul Nights/allnighters

Recently noticed that the 100 Club Allnighters are going to use a curator for some of the Allnighters.  I believe that other non soul clubs do this on occasion.  I'm not sure what it means TBH......I think that Ady has probably found a great way to promote the 1OO Club in a different way, but I'm not sure what happens & how it works....just curious. 

Is this something that we might see happen at other Soul Clubs ?.

Thanks

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I guess 'curating' simply means choosing the DJs.

As far as I know when festivals are curated e.g. All Tomorrows Parties, the guest curator pretty much chooses or helps choose the line up of bands.

So up till now Ady has 'curated' for 34 years or so!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I just don't get it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.

At a regular nighter, if there's a DJ that's not playing stuff to your taste you can usually live with it.  If that DJ is also the 'curator' the chances are he's gonna go for other DJ's that are to his taste but perhaps not yours.  He might not have as balanced an overview as a long standing promoter. :g:

Maybe I've got the concept wrong and am jumping to conclusions.  Any other clubs tried or considered this?

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

I think with regard to the 100 Club at least, the curators will be people who are long standing regulars, who know & understand the club, for example the person curating the August 100 Club (maybe more), is Matt Bolton, Matt will know 100% what makes a great 100 Club Allnighter, I also think, that it helps Ady tap into DJ's who may normally be off his radar....I'm not sure about this, but the curator will also have a vested interest in the promotion, therefore ensuring the event gets max visual to the right people....I think that it could be a good thing & certainly worth investigating....

Best Russ    

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to organise festivals, and in essence it has two function. 

1. It harnesses someone else's knowledge and contacts to broaden the content of the venue/event often within the same 'vain', (I say vain and not genre, because it's a flexible thing usually) - essentially it takes away Ady's responsibility to pick the DJ's.

2. It harnesses someone else's creditability to further build the reputation of the night/event - freshens things up and brings in new punters who follow a specific night e.g. Sean Haydon picks...or a Inner City Soul presents a night at the 100 Club, The European Soul Weekender vs The 100 Club. 

That'd be my guess, the ATP suggestion by Stu is a good template. 

Different Strokes do it with the back room; making feature events, or having other clubs play - generally works well. 

**edit** sorry for the original grammar, I was using my phone  :(

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I quite like the sound of that....a stroke of genius on Ady's part really, cos he now only has to remember to choose the curator lol...I'm asuming this would be more of an occasional thing anyway....Ady ???

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

So have I got this right Ady will pick people he trust with The 100 Club's ethos to pick there personal perfect night of dj's to go along side the residents?Think this sounds a briliant idea & will bring slight twists to each night & keep it fresh,plus it will give a chance to some dj's who aren't on Ady's radar..............or have I got it all tits up?

If I have got it right other nighters should do it.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thats my perception Martyn, I'm sure Ady will put us all right at some point, but in essence sounds like a brilliant idea, as long as you keep the 'essence' of the club & the curators are aware of the vibe, then can only enhance what is already a great Nighter IMO.

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I quite like the sound of that....a stroke of genius on Ady's part really, cos he now only has to remember to choose the curator lol...I'm asuming this would be more of an occasional thing anyway....Ady ???

Best Russ

Russ

With any great idea there's always the odd snag :D

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best Russ

Thats only my view on things, he might have a different idea, but in principle, I think that's how it'd work. 

Social source share

So have I got this right Ady will pick people he trust with The 100 Club's ethos to pick there personal perfect night of dj's to go along side the residents?Think this sounds a briliant idea & will bring slight twists to each night & keep it fresh,plus it will give a chance to some dj's who aren't on Ady's radar..............or have I got it all tits up?

If I have got it right other nighters should do it.

Cheers

Martyn

That's about it Martyn. They get the whole night but as I said in the blurb, Butch is his favourite DJ anyway and he's lumbered with me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I forgot to put the flyer in my recent mail out which was thus.

In an effort to keep things fresh, after 35 years, down the soul-drenched basement, we’ve come up with the currently in-vogue notion of employing a curator for the 100 Club all-nighter.

For the first of these occasional endeavours in August we’ve chosen Matt Bolton a regular fixture on the 100 Club dancefloor and a noted DJ, collector and promoter to boot. It’s not a complete revolution at the palace as Matt’s #1 DJ is Butch and he’s stuck with me; in my dotage I need to spin a few to stay awake.

Matt has an impressive collection of black music of all genres, accumulated over his years of soul scene participation — he’s young but he ain’t no chicken. He has chosen two guests that are largely new to me, but of whom I am hearing great things.

In Matt’s words:

An ardent collector of all things soulful through the ages, renowned veteran compiler Darren 'Red Greg' Griffiths sends ripples of joy through all that hear him play. Renowned in 70s circles for his exquisite taste his personal predilections encompass the sweet female soul of the 60s. We can't wait to hear what gems he pulls out of his fabled walls of wax. 

Steve 'Mr Fish' Clancy's sales lists alone are the envy of many DJs, so just imagine what wonders his playbox holds! Prepare to be dazzled with a glutch of hen’s teeth, in-demand monsters and a sprinkling of Mr Fish exclusives. 

Matt will be going the extra mile in promoting the night and the event will no doubt draw some new ears and feet to our venerated establishment.

Ady

post-1321-0-73282100-1405322171_thumb.jp

Edited by ady croasdell
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Chalky

Just gathering the troops to see who's up for it,so might be a few of us :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

"Hark" I can hear the Bus passes coming out of their wallets.

Social source share

The difference is it's not the bloke who's put on the do this time.

And I don't think the DJs are particularly Matt's mates, he has more class than that; that's why I chose him for this.

Sorry Ady I was thinking more along the lines of if someone did it round here, you could name the DJ's before it's even been announced.

Social source share

A good move indeed Ady... Thinking on your feet...

Its not easy keeping up with whats going on in the soul world if we have a busy other life to lead, i am in the same position myself...... Its takes time and lots of it to keep in touch of whats on in this crazy little world of rare soul..... :hatsoff2:

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its a great choice. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Matt (I don't want to be a DJ :D  ).

Hopefully this will be a roaring sucess.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Matt is a dancer he dances all night and a 100 Club regular so to help Ady tap into other djs possibly not known to him that could help keep the 100 Club fresh and exciting as ever then its a great idea as Matt will have the 100 Club regulars and dancers in mind that's for sure.  Bold move but a good one I thinks. 

Social source share

We did this a few years back with a Yorkshire Vs Lancashire thing, which Ady actually DJ'd at (and was supposed to judge but he bottled it). It added an extra dimension to the promotion but invited another club into the line up on the night. It works well at Different Strokes in their second room, and im sure there's other examples too.

So whilst it's not a new concept, what i applaud Ady for is having the balls and ambition to do something different with arguably the best (certainly most long standing) niter on the calendar.

I think it will work tremendously well, and now knowing Ady's reasoning for it, that just goes to show the drive is still there to keep things fresh, try something different and keep a flagship niter ahead of the game. Not to rest on your laurels.

I'm sure Matt will do a fantastic job. The guy is serious about anything he does, for example his Move On Up night in Leeds at the HiFi has been running as long as i can remember, and that's a WEEKLY mid week event. To promote that type of club night running for so long, and it's always packed, is remarkable. He's got great taste in soul music too, and the line up is one that commands respect before the night's even began. It WILL be a success.

Azza

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!