Record Sellers/dealers

Was just wondering if the site could/would warrant a seperate section  laid over to feedback from buyers for record sellers/ dealers, whether large or small?

now I know there is feedback on ebay, discogs, gemm etc  but from a purely soul music point of view I think it would be great on the Soulsource  forum site to have an individual feedback page for soul sellers. This  comes from a 2 pronged thought

1.  We within our own Soul music circle know the main dealers/sellers

and

2. There are the lesser/ individual seller who we don't all know.

The main train of thought, is that, on this forum we can ( if we didn't know now). Gauge trustworthiness, based on condition of record,delivery, postage etc for won't of a better word on  individuals.

In essence, an individual, ( now I'm not saying a Tim Brown, John Manship, Craig Moroer, Lew etc) that we all know but including them in this.

That way, not being in anyway a yard stick,but as a body, we can as individuals make a judgement on purchases from said sellers.?

just a thought?

NB. This train of thought has come from two recent record buys where the sellers, while known to me and I assume they know me have taken my word on purchases and come through. It would be nice just to acknowledge this as a buyer and and hopefully promote confidence in future sales from said sellers and buyers.

if the administrators think this needs a separate section then I'm with them but only if the sellers are individuals and not say a company?

Dave H

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi - I am one of the lesser mortals you refer to. I am essentially a collector who sells a few to feed the habit. I have just started selling on SoulSource in the last few weeks. The feedback system doesn't seem too intuitive.

I would welcome a more structured feedback mechanism like the one on EBAY, but guess this is a forum not a sales portal, so maybe we are expecting a bit much if we ask for that.

I like many selling on SS I suspect have a long history (10+ years 4000 feedback) on EBAY. Maybe a way to point to that may make it easier for folks to judge if they are going to get a G+ when they order a VG ? 

Social source share

The site currently has a feedback system. The problem I personally experience is that very few sellers leave feedback for buyers. 

The other way around is also true. And so it is the role of either party to ask/remind (not like begging or imposing) the other to leave a feedback and maybe how to proceed. It's not hard but it does take some searches, copy & paste manipulation.

Social source share

the feedback feature on here does completely depend on members actions

unlike ebay there is no current way that the site can tell what you bought or sold on soul source  as there is no mechanism

so the only way you can connect it to a sale is manually

to do this you can do it off the sale thread (via the link) or via the sales topic number 

Hi - I am one of the lesser mortals you refer to. I am essentially a collector who sells a few to feed the habit. I have just started selling on SoulSource in the last few weeks. The feedback system doesn't seem too intuitive.

I would welcome a more structured feedback mechanism like the one on EBAY, but guess this is a forum not a sales portal, so maybe we are expecting a bit much if we ask for that.

I like many selling on SS I suspect have a long history (10+ years 4000 feedback) on EBAY. Maybe a way to point to that may make it easier for folks to judge if they are going to get a G+ when they order a VG

if you goto your profile settings

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=usercp

there is a ebay seller name

if enter your current ebay seller name , then that will then result in your ebay account showing  linked plus a list of current ebay sales on your profile

the thinking is that most people  would check out the profile before buying/selling

as well as the feedback on profile other features like soulmap, website links etc can be used to show more 

cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was just wondering if the site could/would warrant a seperate section  laid over to feedback from buyers for record sellers/ dealers, whether large or small?

now I know there is feedback on ebay, discogs, gemm etc  but from a purely soul music point of view I think it would be great on the Soulsource  forum site to have an individual feedback page for soul sellers. This  comes from a 2 pronged thought

1.  We within our own Soul music circle know the main dealers/sellers

and

2. There are the lesser/ individual seller who we don't all know.

The main train of thought, is that, on this forum we can ( if we didn't know now). Gauge trustworthiness, based on condition of record,delivery, postage etc for won't of a better word on  individuals.

In essence, an individual, ( now I'm not saying a Tim Brown, John Manship, Craig Moroer, Lew etc) that we all know but including them in this.

That way, not being in anyway a yard stick,but as a body, we can as individuals make a judgement on purchases from said sellers.?

just a thought?

NB. This train of thought has come from two recent record buys where the sellers, while known to me and I assume they know me have taken my word on purchases and come through. It would be nice just to acknowledge this as a buyer and and hopefully promote confidence in future sales from said sellers and buyers.

if the administrators think this needs a separate section then I'm with them but only if the sellers are individuals and not say a company?

Dave H

Dave

am wondering why is it that you seem to be unaware of the current feedback system

we do have a problem on here with getting out useful info to members

the feedback does show quite prominent in the sales forums (on every post), pms  and profiles

obviously somethings not quite working as you seem unaware

have you any suggestions regarding this aspect ?

cheers

mike

Social source share

Was thinking just a simple area on here, where say I could type in the "real name" of a seller and just say thanks openly and  so that other buyers can perhaps type in the sellers name and view those comments, know who made them and perhaps take that on board before during or after they have purchased something.

I think we all take the top sellers or even people we know, who we buy off a little bit for granted, over recent months/years I have had some cracking deals and saying thanks to them personally is one thing but just feel it would be great to say it openly on here without hiding behind avatars etc.

Nothing in depth like "I think I really stole that record of you" price wise or "I'm think I slightly overpaid for it but really wanted it " type of post, just a simple "great deal " or "great service" type post. Perhaps I'm asking to much when a simple thanks has done the trick , it's just sometimes I just really want to sing the praises of people I have had records off, even though I have known them for years!

Even buying records from people that are not connected or via this site could be included as it's a mutual thing, that's probably why I'm not aware of the feedback thing on here. I don't know, I really just posted an idea in me head that I think would be great, but would only work if others thought the same way. 

Maybe  it's an age thing or getting soft in me old age because of living too much in this southern air and need too get back up north!

Dave H.

Social source share

Was thinking just a simple area on here, where say I could type in the "real name" of a seller and just say thanks openly and  so that other buyers can perhaps type in the sellers name and view those comments, know who made them and perhaps take that on board before during or after they have purchased something.

I think we all take the top sellers or even people we know, who we buy off a little bit for granted, over recent months/years I have had some cracking deals and saying thanks to them personally is one thing but just feel it would be great to say it openly on here without hiding behind avatars etc.

Nothing in depth like "I think I really stole that record of you" price wise or "I'm think I slightly overpaid for it but really wanted it " type of post, just a simple "great deal " or "great service" type post. Perhaps I'm asking to much when a simple thanks has done the trick , it's just sometimes I just really want to sing the praises of people I have had records off, even though I have known them for years!

Even buying records from people that are not connected or via this site could be included as it's a mutual thing, that's probably why I'm not aware of the feedback thing on here. I don't know, I really just posted an idea in me head that I think would be great, but would only work if others thought the same way. 

Maybe  it's an age thing or getting soft in me old age because of living too much in this southern air and need too get back up north!

Dave H.

dave

there is already a feedback system where you can do what you say/request

as in comment on recent sales/purchases

thanks

mike

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/profile/9676-reforee/?tab=feedback

Edited by mike
Social source share

dave

can you please read my above post and answer that please

there is already a feedback system where you can do what you say/request

as in comment on recent sales/purchases

thanks

mike

Looks to me like everything you need for a more detailed feedback is already there. The only thing I'd suggest is some way to get more people to give feedback, as I don't think a lot of buyers are aware that the system is there to be used. Having said that, not everybody is inclined to leave feedback.

Social source share

Mike

To be honest I never really noticed the feedback section until just now, when I went in and was looking for it! again perhaps old age.

I think my main point was perhaps meant for when purchases have been made outside of this forum and was just brainstorming an idea.

I was not trying to criticise or pick holes in anything. I think other comments on this post have said it all and  it's down to the individual to either leave feedback or not as the case  maybe. Case closed methinks,

Dave

Social source share

Mike

To be honest I never really noticed the feedback section until just now, when I went in and was looking for it! again perhaps old age.

I think my main point was perhaps meant for when purchases have been made outside of this forum and was just brainstorming an idea.

I was not trying to criticise or pick holes in anything. I think other comments on this post have said it all and  it's down to the individual to either leave feedback or not as the case  maybe. Case closed methinks,

Dave

thanks for the reply Dave

as I said in an earlier post an ongoing major problem we have on here is getting across to members information such as in this example -the feedback feature etc

and so was just wondering if you had any suggestions on that side of things

no probs  :thumbsup:

mike

Social source share

thanks for the reply Dave

as I said in an earlier post an ongoing major problem we have on here is getting across to members information such as in this example -the feedback feature etc

and so was just wondering if you had any suggestions on that side of things

no probs  :thumbsup:

mike

I think because people don't have to use it or are not reminded like other places, ebay, amazon etc then they aren't going to use it.  I'm not sure if you can set this up to remind individuals to use it on the forum set up?  Maybe a shop type set up if available where individual sellers have their own page?

Social source share

I sold three records in the last few weeks on SS

None of the buyers have let me know that they even received the record safely

Not complaining - Just saying  

Leave neg feedback then, Mick. As a buyer myself, I automatically contact the buyer at every stage, for the sake of a few seconds of typing I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't. if people receive records and don't acknowledge that, it's pretty crap... however might be worth leaving it a while before sticking the boot in in case they are on holiday or some such.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Leave neg feedback then, Mick. As a buyer myself, I automatically contact the buyer at every stage, for the sake of a few seconds of typing I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't. if people receive records and don't acknowledge that, it's pretty crap... however might be worth leaving it a while before sticking the boot in in case they are on holiday or some such.

I don't care if people leave me feedback or not.  I know I've done a good deal with the buyer, and so does the buyer.  If he doesn't send the record back, then I know it's ok.  Sometimes people return records for no reason whatsoever...usually because they had a deal set up with the reciord they were buying, moving it on at a profit.  This deal breaks down and they are stuck with a record they don't want, so they make something up.  I don't leave them negative, I just remove them from my list or tell them the record has gone if they ever ask again.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

No way would I do that

Im thankful they have bought the record and paid for it.

They must receive it and think great, end of.

I personally would and do notify seller that it got here safe and sound

Some of us may be a dying breed - but a sale is a sale and I wouldn't

leave neg feedback for that...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have bought a few thing in the last month or so and tried to leave feedback for the sellers pete smith and KJW who both provided great service, but I couldn't work out how to do it.

Maybe a straight Leave feedback button, sorry if Ive missed it Mike

Rob 

Social source share

No way would I do that

Im thankful they have bought the record and paid for it.

They must receive it and think great, end of.

I personally would and do notify seller that it got here safe and sound

Some of us may be a dying breed - but a sale is a sale and I wouldn't

leave neg feedback for that...

Fair point Mick, just appreciating your frustration about not getting any responses.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have bought a few thing in the last month or so and tried to leave feedback for the sellers pete smith and KJW who both provided great service, but I couldn't work out how to do it.

Rob 

The fiddly bit is finding the original place where it was posted and copying the url, in that url is a number and that's what you have to paste in, it's actually quite easy but Rob, I just tried to leave feedback for you and ridiculously, I couldn't find my original post!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rob 

You just go to the ad where you bought the 45, Rob and there is a "Add Feedback" button. Just click on that and fill in comment.

For sellers it is a bit less straightforward but I use "Add Feedback" button which appears when answering buyer's PM. You have to copy the URL [as Pete says] from the ad and paste it into "Deal Topic/Topic Number"

As Mick says no reason to leave a negative if you are not left feedback. It's not compulsory to do so though it is recommended that you do.

ROD

Social source share

I don't care if people leave me feedback or not.  I know I've done a good deal with the buyer, and so does the buyer.  If he doesn't send the record back, then I know it's ok.  Sometimes people return records for no reason whatsoever...usually because they had a deal set up with the reciord they were buying, moving it on at a profit.  This deal breaks down and they are stuck with a record they don't want, so they make something up.  I don't leave them negative, I just remove them from my list or tell them the record has gone if they ever ask again.

I have sold a few bits on here recently, and have noticed on two occasions where the buyers have relisted the records a week or so later at a much higher amount than what they paid me for.   I wonder if anyone has any opinions on this?       Personally it has left a bad taste, I suppose naively I was hoping the 45's would be going to other collectors to enjoy, not just to someone looking to make a fast buck.   I know business is business and all that but I find it a bit cheeky - They could at least try and sell it on somewhere else!      Or am I just being a bit soft?   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have sold a few bits on here recently, and have noticed on two occasions where the buyers have relisted the records a week or so later at a much higher amount than what they paid me for.   I wonder if anyone has any opinions on this?       Personally it has left a bad taste, I suppose naively I was hoping the 45's would be going to other collectors to enjoy, not just to someone looking to make a fast buck.   I know business is business and all that but I find it a bit cheeky - They could at least try and sell it on somewhere else!      Or am I just being a bit soft?   

Am afraid you are being a bit soft - once they've bought it, they can do what they like with it.  I sold one on here to someone who told me straight out he would be listing it in a weeks time for at least £200 more than he bought it off me for.  And he did.  MY fault for selling it too cheap!

Social source share

I think if you want your records to go to someone who won't sell them on you will reduce your market considerably! :-)

People buy and sell records all the time and for various reasons. If I didn't buy the odd record to sell on at a profit I wouldn't be able to buy the records I want. My record collecting is pretty much self funded so buying and selling is part of the fun.

Once you put your records up for sale, what happens to them after the sale is pretty much out of your hands, you got what you wanted for them presumably?

Let them go .......

Edited by paultp
Social source share

once you,ve paid for an item, its entirely up to you what you do with it,(its now your legit property) many record s i,ve sold get listed for more than they paid me elsewhere regulary and vice versa so what, its all part of the record collecting/dealing scene...suppose any touchy sellers could add a clause in there sales listing stating only for sale to person who will keep this for his/hers private collection never to be resold traded etc........but good luck with that one.

Edited by Mach
Social source share

If you sold it for the amount you asked I don't see that it matters - you got what you wanted and it's up to the buyer what they do with it

However, If the buyer knocked you down in price, asked for free postage and told you it was something they had been looking for for years to add to their collection, then I could understand you having an issue with it

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!