Levi Stubbs - Prison?

I watched the top Motown hits thing on ITV and it's been bugging me for some time. Did Levi go to prison in the late 70's? I'm sure I went to see The Tops in Manchester just after he got out but I can find no record of it on the net. Maybe it's something to do with Google having to erase history for rehabilitation of offenders or maybe I'm just getting to that age where memories invent themselves. I have the greatest respect for Levi and mean no harm by asking this question. Anyone else with similar memory of this event?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Can't remember ever hearing that.

He's so well known I'm sure it would be so well documented if he had.

Recorded "One Chain (Don't Make No Prison)" around '74 in case that's put a seed of something in yer head

Social source share

Levi Stubbs was arrested on a tour of the UK ....for drugs and fire arms offences. About 1970/71 I think.

He was released, without charges as I recall. But I don't think he was ever imprisoned.

Social source share

March 1970....Mayfair Hotel, London...arrested for possession of cocaine and 12 rounds of ammunition. Later acquitted at Inner London Sessions for drug charge, small fine for ammunition.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Here's a couple of little articles from the Times Newspaper of 12th & 13th March 1970. (click to enlarge)

There doesn't seem to be any report of Levi's court appearance.

post-6836-0-70815800-1405202982_thumb.jp

post-6836-0-18264600-1405203004_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!