Anyone Got A Year For The Tomangoes?

Recorded and released in 1968 according to Gino Washington the label owner.

Claude Williams aka Dusty Wilson sang lead.

OK, that seems a good bet. Cheers Kev - I wanna get the (P) date right on the label copy as it's on the Northern Soul film soundtrack.  :thumbsup:

Coincidentally, I got my original copy off you way back in '75 I think, but who did you get it off I wonder......? There were only 2 or 3 at that point I think.......

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Claude Williams aka Dusty Wilson sang lead.

It's covered in another thread, but Dusty Wilson did not sing on this record. The artist's name was Dusty Williams, and Gino had gotten it mixed up with Wilson for a number of years. There's also a video on youtube that was recently posted with Gino and Dusty signing copies of the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUKdGT3Mtg

Btw, is that discography linked above actually correct? The "Jumping" Gino Washington record looks and sounds way earlier than anything else on the label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The clue is in the thread title Robb........ :lol:

Most  of you already know that I'm old and my short term memory is shot.  But now you'd wonder if the doctor would let me out of the asylum.  But, it's possible to see only part of the title on the "Look in your Box" page (highlighted 1st thread) , and then, quickly scroll down the posts without looking at the initial post.  You would only read the first X number of letters in the thread title each time.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's covered in another thread, but Dusty Wilson did not sing on this record. The artist's name was Dusty Williams, and Gino had gotten it mixed up with Wilson for a number of years. There's also a video on youtube that was recently posted with Gino and Dusty signing copies of the record.

Btw, is that discography linked above actually correct? The "Jumping" Gino Washington record looks and sounds way earlier than anything else on the label.

That makes sense Claude 'Dusty' Williams . Gino obviously got it wrong! 

Social source share

LOL, nothing like a hard-sell. Did anyone buy a signed copy and, if so, what was it? A re-press of some type presumably?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!