Records That Go Well Together

Patto

Hi Guys

Dont know if this has been touched on before but here goes.What records do you DJs out there play in complimentary pairs.Are there any records that you always spin back to back because they just sit well together in a set.One pair off the top of my head

Irene & the Scotts--Stuck on my baby

Irma & the Fascinators---Lost Love

Any more suggestions

Edited by Patto
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Guys

Dont know if this has been touched on before but here goes.What records do you DJs out there play in complimentary pairs.Are there any records that you always spin back to back because they just sit well together in a set.One pair off the top of my head

Irene & the Scotts--Stuck on my baby

Irma & the Fascinators---Lost Love

Any more suggestions

What a fine pair !!!  :wicked: ooh er missus !

:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest miff

Jerry Fuller - Double Life, with, Ron Holden I'll Forgive and Forget

Jo Amstead - Stone Good Lover, with, Tata Vega - I need you now

Wille J & Co - Boogie with your baby, with, Black Nasty - Cut your motor off

Social source share

here's four that grow from the off...just a tad more every time in the tempo.... had these put aside for a tape as they just go really well in this order.. not obvious in any way..

Lulu - Leave a Little Love

Valarie & Nick - Lonley Town

B. J. Thomas - I Dont Have a Mind of My Own

Chris Calloway - Your Something Else

and then you have to change direction with the fifth, rack it up another level from Chris Calloway....and keep it going... may I suggest 'Little Willie John - Home at Last.... :wink: '

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Think It Over And Be Sure - Liz Verdi - Columbia

Hush Don't Cry - Bonnie Herman - Columbia

Both big about the same time and seem to go well together!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I know this is gonna sound weird but here goes... whenever I dj I try to follow one record with another that I think connects, so by the end of the set the first and last have no connection, but they all somehow follow each other... Maybe I have OCD though ;)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I also try to always relate each track to the last when djing and so end up with common pairings or sequences.

Not that imaginative, as they share the same backing track, but we've been making a feature of playing Johnny Barnes on jaba and Mel williams on chipper together at the Pow Wow room at Lifeline - two of the best 45s ever made imo, and great how they make completely different tunes out of the same backing, and both rare as fuck too - a real treat for me at least.

Edited by pow wow mik
Social source share

Some nice combinations mentioned previously.

A few combinations that I sometimes spin include:

Fred Hughes = I keep tryin with Mel Wynn & Rhythm Aces = Stop sign

Loretta Williams = Baby Cakes with Patti Austin = Music to my heart

Wally Cox = This man with Johnny Moore = Walk like a man

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

San Remo Strings -- Festival Time

Kurt Harris -- Emperor of my Baby's Heart

Checkerboard Squares -- Double Cookin'

Superlatives -- I Still Love You

Sometimes I just play two or three of them, but have been known to play all four in a row together...  Order doesn't matter...

Social source share

I know this is gonna sound weird but here goes... whenever I dj I try to follow one record with another that I think connects, so by the end of the set the first and last have no connection, but they all somehow follow each other... Maybe I have OCD though ;)

I'll be listening extra carefully on Saturday Nev ...

Social source share

here's four that grow from the off...just a tad more every time in the tempo.... had these put aside for a tape as they just go really well in this order.. not obvious in any way..

Lulu - Leave a Little Love

Valarie & Nick - Lonley Town

B. J. Thomas - I Dont Have a Mind of My Own

Chris Calloway - Your Something Else

and then you have to change direction with the fifth, rack it up another level from Chris Calloway....and keep it going... may I suggest 'Little Willie John - Home at Last.... :wink: '

Malcolm

I'll get me coat.

Social source share

A sort of "Chain", as in Radcliffe & Maconie on Six Music. Now there's an idea for a never ending thread. :)

Social source share

Surely asking a forum of collectors and DJs if they can piece 2 tunes together should be a given, however I've witnessed sets before that rely on the laurels of the individual tunes rather than creating a fluidity and consistency over their set, I've been guilty of this too.

It becomes a lot more interesting when a DJ is able to create a set that flows and works together encompassing a variety of sounds but then interjects an 'oddball' (new discovery, cover up, whatever) that fits in perfectly with the more commonly known.

Just my two pennies worth, here's two tunes I think work well - elois scott - broadway love into al glover - till the end of time ;)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!