Marvin Gaye

Marvin Gaye is no doubt near the top of most soul lovers 'best vocalist'

So not much chance for a debate there!

But what is best ever recording?

I'll start the ball rolling with my nomination "Where Are We Going?"

Which is his best & most under rated.

I expect of course you all to fall in line & agree with me........

Col

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mine has got to be this,i just love it :rolleyes:

personally, I think his most underrated is 'Just a little love (before my life is gone)' :(

I'd post it up but I keep getting error messages after I look to 'add this attachment' :(

Can anybody direct me to an idiots guide on posting soundfiles up pse

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Two of my faves....

"When I had your love"

"Tear it on down" :thumbsup:

marvin_1.mp3

marvin_2.mp3

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

"Tear It On Down" from the "In The Groove" Album.

Been playing it since I was a Schoolboy and still love it.

A first rate Motown dancer. You can hear the 'ache' in his voice!

Can't fault tho'.....

"Little Darling"

"Wherever I Lay My Hat"

"I'll Be Doggone"

"My Love For You"

"At Last"

"Darling You're Wonderful"

"You're The One"

"Please Stay"

"If I Should Die Tonight"

"Whats Going On"

and the most underrated Marvin track of all.... the MAGNIFICENT..........

"It's Madness"

He just knew it, didn't he.

Listen... and weep.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

....Let's just leave behind, for a while, all the obscure B sides and album cuts/tracks that sat in the can for decades, deemed unworthy of released by Motown's Quality Control department, and marvel again at this stellar streak of Marvin Gaye singles, 1964-69 :

Baby Don't You Do It

How Sweet It Is

I'll Be Doggone

Ain't That Peculiar

One More Heartache

Take This Heart Of Mine

Little Darling (I Need You)

It Takes Two (W. Kim Weston)

Ain't No Mountain High Enough (w. Tammi Terrell)

Your Unchanging Love

Your Precious Love (w. Tammi Terrell)

If I Could Build My Whole World Around You (w. Tammi Terrell)

You

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing (w. Tammi Terrell)

Chained

I Heard It Throught The Grapevine

Too Busy Thinking About My Baby...

...it's indeed a fairly pathetic collection that doesn't have at least a dozen of these records in it.

TONE :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Don't think he ever made a bad record, though not so keen on show type numbers.

My two top favourites are I Want You and I'm Gonna Give You Respect. Still rate What's Going On as the best soul album ever.

And Come Get To This always pulls me on to the dance floor.

Social source share

Check out some great videos of Marvin on www.youtube.com

The guy is my all time favourite male vocalist and pretty much like all his stuff.

A few of my faves that havn't been mentioned so far:

Two Can Have A Party (With Tammi Terrell)

Lucky Lucky Me

Can I Get A Witness

Hanging On

So Long

When I Feel The Need

Abraham,Martin & John

Can't listen to What's Going On without getting goosebumps all over. Truly a seminal record.

Guess what I'll be listening to for the rest of the day?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't think he ever made a bad record

...Yes, I'm afraid that he did, and more than once - there's plenty of crap in the post "What's Going On" era to counteract the near faultless seven years that preceded it.

For every "Distant Lover", there's a "Sancified Lady", for every "When Did I Stop Loving You, When Did You Stop Loving Me" a "Got To Give It Up", for every "Come Get To This" a "Joy" etc.

For all his pre-1970 brilliance, Marvin was generally a wildly erratic artist who needed a Smokey, a Norman Whitfield, a Mickey Stevenson, a Leon Ware or whoever to keep him on track, and to stop him overindulging his musical fantasies. OK yes, I know he did WGO on his own, but it was the only cohesively consistent work he ever did without a co-producer.

His was really a wayward talent, especially compared with the consitency of almost all of his Motown peers (Smokey and Willie Hutch especially). Thank God his producers usually knew what suited Marvin better than he did himself...

Social source share

Guest Simon

Most crucial to mankind without a doubt is 'What's going on', take a look around the world at the moment & see how spot on this record is!

As for tunes to dance to at a club don't think you can beat 'Ain't that peculiar', that amazing start very similar to the Furys 'I'm satisfied with you'.

For shear beauty though i like 'Desperate situation' & 'Sunny', just pure perfection!

Simon

Social source share

Guest Soulgroova

Col

I agree with you that it is a really good tune, but then there are so

many, too many of his tunes to choose from to say which are best.

I believe the album "What's goin on" has some excellent tunes and of course the

lively "Tear it on down", wonderful dance tune. :unsure:

Social source share

Most crucial to mankind without a doubt is 'What's going on', take a look around the world at the moment & see how spot on this record is!

Simon

Bought a new version of 'What's Going On' CD at the airport on the way to holiday. Loved the bonus track, an alternative vocal version of 'God is Love' by the end of the week I prefered it to the original. Superb singer.

Social source share

....Let's just leave behind, for a while, all the obscure B sides and album cuts/tracks that sat in the can for decades, deemed unworthy of released by Motown's Quality Control department, and marvel again at this stellar streak of Marvin Gaye singles, 1964-69 :

Baby Don't You Do It

How Sweet It Is

I'll Be Doggone

Ain't That Peculiar

One More Heartache

Take This Heart Of Mine

Little Darling (I Need You)

It Takes Two (W. Kim Weston)

Your Unchanging Love

Your Precious Love (w. Tammi Terrell)

If I Could Build My Whole World Around You (w. Tammi Terrell)

You

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing (w. Tammi Terrell)

Chained

I Heard It Throught The Grapevine

Too Busy Thinking About My Baby...

...it's indeed a fairly pathetic collection that doesn't have at least a dozen of these records in it.

TONE biggrin.gif

No mention of Sexual Healing yet I see. :unsure:

I'm fine on that front thanks Tone btw yes.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

You

Was about to say nobody had mentioned this one but I see they have biggrin.gif Hadn't heard it till I bought a 'greatest hits' type LP from a charity shop a few years ago.. wow... now have it on a lovely white Tamla demo yes.gif

Impossible to pick one favourite though... lately been listening to 'Darling You're Wonderful' lots... "'cause when you look at me, I get weak in my knees" :unsure:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Dont ya remember me playin it Belfast rach! biggrin.gif great track and lovely flip ' change what you can'... yes.gif

L

Think I bought it before that, but, er, honestly, no, don't remember - it was a while ago :unsure:

Social source share

...Yes, I'm afraid that he did, and more than once - there's plenty of crap in the post "What's Going On" era to counteract the near faultless seven years that preceded it.

For every "Distant Lover", there's a "Sancified Lady", for every "When Did I Stop Loving You, When Did You Stop Loving Me" a "Got To Give It Up", for every "Come Get To This" a "Joy" etc.

For all his pre-1970 brilliance, Marvin was generally a wildly erratic artist who needed a Smokey, a Norman Whitfield, a Mickey Stevenson, a Leon Ware or whoever to keep him on track, and to stop him overindulging his musical fantasies. OK yes, I know he did WGO on his own, but it was the only cohesively consistent work he ever did without a co-producer.

His was really a wayward talent, especially compared with the consitency of almost all of his Motown peers (Smokey and Willie Hutch especially). Thank God his producers usually knew what suited Marvin better than he did himself...

TONE :yes:

I think you are right, He always wanted to be a crooner and I have to confess that "Try it Baby" is a particular favourite of mine for that style of record, not his best but a firm favourite.

"I heard it through the grapevine" had the biggest impact on me as I had just started to buy soul music and I remember leaving the arm up on the record player to that one. Also "wherever I lay my hat". Most of his early stuff didn't get to me until I started collecting and looking back at his career.

Having said all that I kind of stopped listening to him after Trouble Man and totally hated his duet album with Diana Ross. It is a problem I have, that I go off people when they get mass appeal and you hear their stuff on the radio all the time.

wink.gif

Social source share

I still think this is the most uplifting record I've ever heard. Absolute genius.

Great post Pete :yes:wink.gif ..I love topics like this,all good and positive..Makes a nice change from all the bull shit we get sometimes.....I too feel the same Pete when i hear that tune,it just makes me happy....

Social source share

Guest realsoulfan

Col

Got to admit 1 of my all time favourite artist whether comercial or non comercial he kept to very high standards in all of his recordings.

1 of my personal favourites is "what's happening Brother" Marvin doing the harmonizing like only he could :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

he kept to very high standards in all of his recordings.

...Yeah, right. You've obviiously never heard Marv's early 1980s garbage like "Savage In The Sack", "Sanctified Pussy" and "My Masochistic Beauty", have you?

Like I said, for every "I Want You" there's nonsense like any and all of these. Let's not let our admiration for his many good records cloud that fact...

TONE :shades:

Social source share

Great post Pete :shades::shades: ..I love topics like this,all good and positive..Makes a nice change from all the bull shit we get sometimes.....I too feel the same Pete when i hear that tune,it just makes me happy....

Yeah it makes a change from the rather depressing freebasing room doesn't it.

By the way, I know I was off list for 2 to 3 weeks but can anyone tell me what happened to the SSCDT? There doesn't seem to be any Janine, Dave, Karen, John & Ali, all that lot - what happened to them, why did they leave and I have to say that the list is a lot less upbeat without them and their extremely silly posts and sillier avatars. I really miss Janine.

Social source share

Yeah it makes a change from the rather depressing freebasing room doesn't it.

By the way, I know I was off list for 2 to 3 weeks but can anyone tell me what happened to the SSCDT? There doesn't seem to be any Janine, Dave, Karen, John & Ali, all that lot - what happened to them, why did they leave and I have to say that the list is a lot less upbeat without them and their extremely silly posts and sillier avatars. I really miss Janine.

sscdt was moved back into freebasing about 3 months ago

all karenc c's accounts on here were closed due to the way she was using them

she was using at least 6 different ones

janine asked for her main account to be closed a couple of months ago, she was using other accounts but when karen c started using them they were closed as well

only person that has left recently was kev roberts

mike

Social source share

sscdt was moved back into freebasing about 3 months ago

all karenc c's accounts on here were closed due to the way she was using them

she was using at least 6 different ones

janine closed her main account a couple of months ago, she was using other accounts but when karen c started using them they were closed as well

only person that has left recently was kev roberts

mike

Thanks Mike. One minute they were there, then they were gone, I thought something had happened buy nobody told me anything so thats why I asked. You mean they were impersonating other people?

Mike I want to ask you a question, when you have read this can you look in on freebasing please?

Social source share

Thanks Mike. One minute they were there, then they were gone, I thought something had happened buy nobody told me anything so thats why I asked. You mean they were impersonating other people?

Mike I want to ask you a question, when you have read this can you look in on freebasing please?

Pete

Not so much impersonating but joining up under false ids and then using them and site features in such a way that has caused a lot of grief to members and the site itself

will post facts on this later on,

what was the thing in freebasing ?

new section or bad lads ?

mike

Social source share

soo many to chose from, i like Darlin your wonderful, desperate situation and of course the first song to get me into soul when i was a young boy WHATS GOIN ON..still puts me in the groove...timeless...

L

"Darling Your Wonderful"

my no 1 Marvin song

excellent

:shades::shades:

Social source share

Not so much impersonating but joining up under false ids and then using them and site features in such a way that has caused a lot of grief to members and the site itself

So the darts were confiscated.

What happened to the dart board?

Social source share

Pete

what was the thing in freebasing ?

new section or bad lads ?

mike

Oh just about bad lads. Forget the other thing, they just said I was moaning.

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Col

For me it as to be his track "At last" pure class brilliant vocals :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest malayka

Hi Tone

Even on this set he did not truly work on his own. I remember talking to Ernest Kelly and David Van DePette about the album. Ernest had been brought over from Atlantic by Berry to help them develope the album concept, better.

When Marvin started work on the project his reputation for being prickly to work with, was already well know in the company. At first no one wanted to work with him on the project. Berry started to worry the whole thing was going nowhere, so he asked Ernest to act as Marvin's internal manager. Then David stepped forward to work on 'arrangements', in truth, he and Ernest had alot more to do with the project arriving as a finished item, than was ever published.

But what a stunning set it turned out to be, just about any track from the album would be up there in my top 5 tracks from the guy.

Dave

Social source share

Hi Tone

Even on this set he did not truly work on his own. I remember talking to Ernest Kelly and David Van DePette about the album. Ernest had been brought over from Atlantic by Berry to help them develope the album concept, better.

When Marvin started work on the project his reputation for being prickly to work with, was already well know in the company. At first no one wanted to work with him on the project. Berry started to worry the whole thing was going nowhere, so he asked Ernest to act as Marvin's internal manager. Then David stepped forward to work on 'arrangements', in truth, he and Ernest had alot more to do with the project arriving as a finished item, than was ever published.

But what a stunning set it turned out to be, just about any track from the album would be up there in my top 5 tracks from the guy.

Dave

Hi Tone

Sorry for any confusion, trouble with two people in one house using the same computer, above reply was mine.

Dave

Social source share

Col

" I Worry ' Bout You " : In my estimation , is quite simply the most soulful track the man ever recorded : the brilliance of MPG's vocal phrasing over / working with the stunning orchestral / big band backing are an absolute joy to listen to . Only problem with the track is .... it is too short !!

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert