Need London Record Shop Recommendations

Hello! I am going down to London, and I need some good recomendations for soul/funk Record shops? I am looking for mostly original soul/funk 45's. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elguapo.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Honest Jons

276-278 Portobello Road, W10 5TE, Tel: 020 8969 9822, Website: www.honestjons.com, Tube: Ladbroke Grove,

Intoxica

231 Portobello Road, London, W11 1LT, Tel: 020 7229 8010, Website: www.intoxica.co.uk, Tube: Ladbroke Grove,

Reckless Records22

6/30 Berwick Street, W1V 3RF, Tel: 020 7434 3362, Website: www.reckless.co.uk,

Soul Brother

1 Keswick Road, Putney, SW15 2HL, Tel: 020 8875 1018, Website: www.soulbrother.com, Tube: East Putney

Crazy Beat

87 Corbets Tey Road, Upminster, Essex, RM14 2AH,

Tel: 01708 228678 Fax: 01708 640946

www.crazybeat.co.uk

Social source share

BOOGALOO ON BROADWAY. 161 DAWES ROAD. FULHAM. LONDON. SW6 7EE - ALL TYPES OF MUSIC - pop. punk. funk. jazz. latin. 60's 70's soul. rock'n'roll. country and northern. open fri 11 - 7 sat 11 - 6.30 sun 12 - 5 - tel 0207 385 6593

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

two shops behind mcdonalds on the corner of

oxford st and tottenham court road

normally have a few 45's and lots of lp's

downstairs in soul jazz has lots of 45's too

basically just trawl the streets of soho and you cant go wrong.

stay clear of the paul raymond revue bar!!!!

Social source share

these are all local shops for local people, there's nothing for you here :D

Good luck on the hunt - I've always found london to be a bit useless for quality soul or 60's 45s, lot of overpriced dregs around but hard to find 'the good stuff'. Is Out on the Floor still there in Camden Town? (Inverness Street) - might be worth a look - there's also a guy who was doing camden market with a load of 45s, again, hit and miss but you never know....

Also Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill Gate can be worth a look (upstairs) but rarely any decent soul 45s in my experience..... but a nice diversion on the way to a wander round Portobello market :(

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

Is the record shop in Hanway street still there? Just off Oxford Street Tottenham Court road end next door but one to Bradleys Spanish Bar. They have a few boxes of singles in there.

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

shame to say in my graffiti hey day on the london underground used to go robbing records at notting hill record exchange

they had these 10p 45's with all bric-a-brac and clothes

got tons of stuff, all down my coat which was especially designed to rob paint.

loved those days..more funks tuff

freddy wilson on eastbound

dr john 45's

countless others, damn i didnt know what i was getting but if it was a yank 45 it was going inside the coat.

now thats was i call digging!!

like i said was a little bit naughty but kids i guess

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Is the record shop in Hanway street still there? Just off Oxford Street Tottenham Court road end next door but one to Bradleys Spanish Bar. They have a few boxes of singles in there.

The legendary record shop where Ady Croasdell and Ian Clarke used to sell records, was it called Rock On? Its not the same anymore. That road used to be the street of dreams for me, loads of decent and/or interesting vinyl. Then off to Berwick Street to Daddy Cool to buy some ska and rocksteady records off old misery guts. :D

Sadly there is sod all of any great merit left in London nowadays that I can think of. Used to be some strange underground shopping mall in the New Kings Road where you could get UK issues, always funny little places like that but all seem to have gone now. :(

Even the M&V used to have a box of decent Jamaican stuff behind the counter back then. You couldn't take your bags upstairs because of thieving wotsits, clearly they should have had a cloakroom as well.

Social source share

Hello! I am going down to London, and I need some good recomendations for soul/funk Record shops? I am looking for mostly original soul/funk 45's. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elguapo.

Record Corner

27 Bedford Hill

Balham

SW12

A bit of a way out but worth the trip. Huge stock of new & nearly new stuff which should meet your criteria. Best to get overground train to Balham then it's 5 minute walk from station.

If you do go down that way, you would do well to continue into Croydon afterwards, loads of record shops there.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

John.

Social source share

The legendary record shop where Ady Croasdell and Ian Clarke used to sell records, was it called Rock On? Its not the same anymore. That road used to be the street of dreams for me, loads of decent and/or interesting vinyl. Then off to Berwick Street to Daddy Cool to buy some ska and rocksteady records off old misery guts. :rolleyes:

Sadly there is sod all of any great merit left in London nowadays that I can think of. Used to be some strange underground shopping mall in the New Kings Road where you could get UK issues, always funny little places like that but all seem to have gone now. :(

Even the M&V used to have a box of decent Jamaican stuff behind the counter back then. You couldn't take your bags upstairs because of thieving wotsits, clearly they should have had a cloakroom as well.

'rock on' was in Camden Town (unless there were two Rock On's - quite possibly?) it was brilliant and did stock a lot of decent quality 45s along with good taste new indie vinyl. They also used to sell all the Medway stuff (which I also collect), in fact Nick Garrard (hope I'm remembering the name correctly) used to be the manager of the Milkshakes and other various Medway bands in the mid 80's IIRC. Isn't it a fried chicken shop or something now... great shame.... but that's Camden Town for you, yet 'the kids' still dig it....

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

'rock on' was in Camden Town (unless there were two Rock On's - quite possibly?) it was brilliant and did stock a lot of decent quality 45s along with good taste new indie vinyl. They also used to sell all the Medway stuff (which I also collect), in fact Nick Garrard (hope I'm remembering the name correctly) used to be the manager of the Milkshakes and other various Medway bands in the mid 80's IIRC. Isn't it a fried chicken shop or something now... great shame.... but that's Camden Town for you, yet 'the kids' still dig it....

Pretty sure the shop in Hanway Street was also called Rock On, but not certain, I never really noticed the name, used to sit in Bradleys afterwards admiring our purchases with a bit of Dusty or Elvis on the jukebox. Stand to be corrected but maybe they were related. At the Camden one a mate got a load of British EPs with Guy Stephen's name written on them. All at a good price. I'd decided to go straight to the pub that day... :rolleyes:

Camden? The piss smelling tramps with dogs on string also still dig it. Terrible place.

Social source share

Record Corner

27 Bedford Hill

Balham

SW12

A bit of a way out but worth the trip. Huge stock of new & nearly new stuff which should meet your criteria. Best to get overground train to Balham then it's 5 minute walk from station.

If you do go down that way, you would do well to continue into Croydon afterwards, loads of record shops there.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

John.

==============================================================

I thought RC had closed ? And was only doing mail order? Hope not - bloody excellent shop..

Second hand wise - Cheapo Cheapo records (off Leicester Sq I think) - if its still there there (was) masses of LPs/12s to wade thru - Theres a lot of crap but me and a couple of mates used to pull some great 70s LPs outta there.

Rich

Social source share

Pretty sure the shop in Hanway Street was also called Rock On, but not certain, I never really noticed the name, used to sit in Bradleys afterwards admiring our purchases with a bit of Dusty or Elvis on the jukebox. Stand to be corrected but maybe they were related. At the Camden one a mate got a load of British EPs with Guy Stephen's name written on them. All at a good price. I'd decided to go straight to the pub that day... :rolleyes:

Camden? The piss smelling tramps with dogs on string also still dig it. Terrible place.

The Shop in Hanway Street was called Rocks Off. Owned at that time by legendary miserable old git Stan Brennan.

Shane McGowan used to work behind the counter in those days (about 80-81?). Indeed it was him that first introduced me to the joys of the Clark and Croasdell boxes. When I was looking through the Shop's own stock he said "Don't look at that old bollocks, look through these". If only I knew then what I know now! Still, got some very nice things out of them which I still have.

Social source share

Rock On was pretty good, but they didn't really like you looking through Soul 7s for some reason. Possibly snobbery, but every time I asked for the 60s Soul box one of the staff would tut loudly. Camden had some great shops for records then (Early 80s) Sea of Tunes, Popbeat, the Record and Tape Exchange, The Market itself. All yielded many great finds.

Social source share

Record Corner

27 Bedford Hill

Balham

SW12

Good luck and enjoy!!!

John.

As John says Croydon has a few record shops, try upstairs at Beanos, "the worlds largest second hand record shop" loads of boxes in various catogories (US 60s,UK 60s, Ska etc etc) but be warned, Ray the guy with the long greasy hair huffs and puffs a lot after bringing 3 boxes to the counter, pull one or two out even if you dont want 'em. This place used to be utopia in the 80s when it was in Surrey St....tons of 45s at 10p (or 20 for a pound honest). If I knew then..... :rolleyes::(

BH

Social source share

:rolleyes: Alan's record and CD shop ..out of East Finchley tube turn left up the hill over the lights down the hill shop is on right hand side,next to the H&S hire shop..

open on Wed,Thurs ,Fri , Sat & Sun..at approx 11.30 ish.

nice bits a bobs in there tons of reggae jazzy type stuff,

not cheap thu'

but worth a look if you have about 3 hours to spend along with a good few quid.. :(

Social source share

As John says Croydon has a few record shops, try upstairs at Beanos, "the worlds largest second hand record shop" loads of boxes in various catogories (US 60s,UK 60s, Ska etc etc) but be warned, Ray the guy with the long greasy hair huffs and puffs a lot after bringing 3 boxes to the counter, pull one or two out even if you dont want 'em. This place used to be utopia in the 80s when it was in Surrey St....tons of 45s at 10p (or 20 for a pound honest). If I knew then..... :rolleyes::(

BH

Yep, I remember it in Surrey Street, good stuff to be had ........until that is you went anywhere near anything remotely 60's Northern! High prices and you had to practically beat him to a pulp before he started to see sense. He pulled out a "price guide" once and pointed out the "prices" - I laughed and started to walk away, "I agree" he said, "these guides are crap" and asked what I'd offer. :(

He had no idea on modern though and that is where you could really clean up!

Heard a few months back back that Record Corner (Balham) was still open, worth a trip in case it is and if it ain't, carry on in to Croydon!

In fact, I may come with you! :ohmy:

John.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert