John Manship Auction Results 18 - 6 - 2014

9064_1sm.jpg9064_1sm.jpg9064_2sm.jpg
Tan Geers Let My Heart And Soul Be Free C/w What's The Use Of Me Trying

Your challenge for the weekend!

Find two better NS sides on one disc, if you can.

This Promo is in stunning condition.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 606.00

9076_1sm.jpg9076_1sm.jpg9076_2sm.jpg
J. B. Troy Live On C/w I'm Really Thankful

The slumbering guitar & horn intro gives no indication of what is about to rampage from the speakers.

An almighty beast is gonna be unleashed; as Ralph Bailey & Johnny Northern craft hard-driving Northern Soul, beefed up by one of the most-impressive horn breaks you could ever wish to dance to. Snarling vocal sounds very much like Johnny Northern himself under a pseudonym, that rasping pleading style is kinda familiar and the perfect partner to the blaring in your face backing.

Who ever J. B. Troy is? this is one mightily memorable 45 as the flipside provides the Deep Soul aficionado with a beseeching ballad accompanied by all the upbeat side’s qualities. Punchy Horns, Squealing Girl choir and a Memphis inspired arrangement.

Either dance you ass off or be comforted by an on-your-knees Deep Soul..the choice is yours if you own this super-elusive disc.

The winning bid was £ 232.00

9078_1sm.jpg9078_1sm.jpg9078_2sm.jpg
Mary Wells Cancel My Subsrciption C/w If You Can't Give Her Love (give Her Up)

The Rare WITHDRAWN stock copy with the highly sought after flipside.

The flipside of this pre-disco 1974 is a stock copy is invariably “Don’t Keep Me Hangin’ On” but a few escape with “Cancel…” as the flip.

This stealthily-stalked and currently played “Cancel My Subscription” is a delicious mid-tempo groove with Mary gently rapping the intro before she submerges herself into a sultry Soulful Stepper of the highest order; a tune most have been keeping quiet.

When quality-conscious DJ’s of the calibre of Steve Guarnori are championing the sound you can expect the value to go only one way.

You’ll agree this is certainly an essential early doors or late, late night spin…as you listen to the Superior-Soul Ms Wells serves.

Totally fabulous, and well done Steve for yet again dropping-the-needle on a beauty during your must-listen Radio Shows… this is a beauty.

And just for double the pleasure the lead side is a fabulous Soulful dancer…

The winning bid was £ 75.00

9066_1sm.jpg9066_1sm.jpg9066_2sm.jpg
Andy Fisher And The Encores My Heart's Beating Stronger C/w A Wee Bit Longer

New Orleans meets L. A. to craft two sides to die for!

A meeting of Cliff Goldstein & Arthur Wright, a collaboration that so often set the standard for Los Angeles Soul. We have grown to expect something special from this pairing, but when that work is done with members from New Orleans premier Soul Group “The Barons” then you just know nothing can go wrong.

Andy teams up with Capitol lyricist Lester “House Next Door” Carr to craft a mid-tempo groove that matches up to, such magnificent NS floaters as Buddy Smith, Chuck Holiday and the like. An atmospheric session with few equals… as Andrew Fishers seasoned gravel-coated vocal is softly cradled by “the Encores” who could easily be other members of The Barons (who knows?)

Flip it over Mr. Fisher and Barons team mate George Bonney write the lyrics for a bold brass driven Northern Soul stomper - again enriched by slick vocal-group backing and Goldsmith boosted blaring horns! Terrific stuff!

Two awesome examples of perhaps a “moonlighting” session, crafting a pair of Northern Soul belters sitting here in that standard of condition you’ve always dreamed of owning…

EXCEPTIONAL & ESSENTIAL rare-soul…

The winning bid was £ 881.00

9080_1sm.jpg9080_1sm.jpg9080_2sm.jpg9080_3sm.jpg9080_4sm.jpg
Jimmy Mcgriff Gospel Time

Some listings require no embellishments from me…

If the scans don’t do it for you nothing will..

So rare - it hurts

Condition erected the hairs on the back of my neck… so very near to M-/M-/M-

another thing of beauty that the real collectors of rare vinyl will be purring over..

The winning bid was £ 408.00

9075_1sm.jpg9075_1sm.jpg9075_2sm.jpg
Hyperions Why You Wanna Treat Me The Way You Do C/w Believe Me

Yes it’s the other title variation

“Why You Wanna Treat Me The Way You Do”

What can we say that we didn’t say last time about this fabulous example of West Coast vocal group Northern Soul..

Never been bootlegged and guaranteed to fill that dancefloor, every time… it’s all been said before another irresistible listing that needs no extra push from us…whatsoever

The winning bid was £ 713.00

9071_1sm.jpg9071_1sm.jpg9071_2sm.jpg
Bessie Banks I Can't Make It (without You Baby) C/w Need You

A real British head-turner…

How sumptuous are mid-60s British MGM Demo’s. The label scan does not do justice to the “Brilliant Pink” label with the flashing “Silver A” scything it way across the label.

A THING OF BEAUTY

But paling in comparison to Bessie Bank’s indomitable vocal as she powers her way through TWO immense productions in this 100% New York family affair.

Produced by Bessie’s husband Larry Banks and both sides written by Larry’s brother-in-law Jazz influenced Ross “Tony” May the relatives are joined by iconic arranger Horace Ott and the result is dynamic!

Click the soundfile and be prepared to be blown away by a sadly under-recorded talent strutting out uncompromising Northern Soul… twice over. Then check the label scan and consider can your collection live without it’s stunning beauty..?

The winning bid was £ 117.00

9069_1sm.jpg9069_1sm.jpg9069_2sm.jpg
Charles I V Doctor Love C/w The Girl Next Door

Let’s get serious..

The chance to own an unissued Capitol Acetate of staggering proportions.

Danny Brantley guided Northern Soul of the highest calibre..

Listen and prepare to be amazed..

The winning bid was £ 1,433.00

9068_1sm.jpg9068_1sm.jpg9068_2sm.jpg9068_3sm.jpg9068_4sm.jpg
Ronnie Milsap C/w Roscoe Robinson Soul Sensations - That's Enough + Ain't No Soul (left In These Old Shoes)

That’s Enough + Ain’t No Soul (Left In These Old Shoes) Now that’s what I call an EP

So seldom seen…The rare 1966 British EP featuring two of New York’s Wand labels finest offerings and two Twisted Wheel Club anthems, on one disc. Was it coincidence ? or did UK Pye have the insight to meet the demand being created by the 60s all time clubs by releasing what are now considered Top-Drawer classics.

I think coincidence as this EP was issued the same year as the singles; just like EMI & DECCA, Pye were also desperate to hang on the the coat tails of the British Soul Movement.

With no pictures of the participating artists PYE opted for an effective Pop-Art cover and christened it “SOUL SENSATIONS”. EMI had just launched the slogan “SOUL SUPPLY” although the UK record company Soul-assault was in full flow, this impressive coupling sold virtually nothing.

Although as a youth I saw this double hitter occasionally, in more recent decades this tactile piece of Northern Soul history has proved extremely scarce.

This copy is in fine clean condition, part of a recent capture where every disc has been lovingly cared for…British collectors you know this is an imperative addition… as very few of you actually own a copy.

The winning bid was £ 102.00

9072_1sm.jpg9072_1sm.jpg9072_2sm.jpg
Sideshow Featuring Arthur Ponder Sexy Lady C/w My Love

It matters not what decade the saxophone is blown, it has the power to lift a song into greatness

The intro on this delicious Georgia conceived 80’s session is rippling with sexy-sax “Ronnie Laws” styled instant-appeal. So enter Arthur Ponder with an equally suggestive vocal delivery as they sell the session as a very convincing seductive dance groove.

Then an early doors sax solo, bass guitar break, more sax, more sax and more sax.. Just total quality isn’t it..

..and just to prove a point the highly-charged sax-filled seductive flipside evokes an atmosphere of shimmering candlelight, a bottle of fine wine, lacy underwear and the Sky Sports Channel….on pause.

The winning bid was £ 128.00

9065_1sm.jpg9065_1sm.jpg9065_2sm.jpg
Trends Thanks For A Little Loving

Does anybody do it up right - like Johnny Pate.

When J.P. does a production.. Boy he does it to monumental proportions pushing the boundaries of sound on this recording. A roaring barrage of horns, thumping piano complimenting one of Chicago’s most-accomplished vocal groups.

Already recognized as a prestigious Northern Soul classic, but not one anybody has tired of hearing or dancing to. This is their rarest, their most wanted and by far the best thing the group ever recorded.

Long will it live… with the combination of Johnny Pate’s skill of avoiding the obvious and The Trends craft of delivering the punchy but silky harmonious vocals..

A killer but you knew that already..

The winning bid was £ 493.00

9079_1sm.jpg9079_1sm.jpg9079_2sm.jpg
Little Willie John Look What You Done To Me

Dirty, filthy R&B shaker..relentless and utterly infectious!

But this is more than just a wildly insane dancer, supported by a chain-gang of male-harmony vocals; it also boasts a breathtaking sax break that tops-off this totally unstoppable juggernaut, ready and waiting to destroy all in it’s way.. JUST LOVE IT.

No it’s not just all of those things..

It is also a 1957 King “Bio” promo copy, with the label dedicated to introducing Little Willie John’s story to the DJ’s. These King / Federal “Bio” promo’s are just so interesting often documenting detail not available anywhere else..

Check out the riveting label scan carefully because we know the soundfile will have already blow your socks off!

Current bid: £ 61.00

Time remaining: Approx. 6 days 22 hours

Starting Bid £ 1.00 Bid Increment £ 11.00 Minimum Bid £ 72.00 Current Bid £ 61.00

Bid on Look What You Done To Me

9063_1sm.jpg9063_1sm.jpg9063_2sm.jpg
Nick Allen Hard Way To Go C/w Don't Make Me Be What You Don't Want Me To Be

In recent years as availability of this unusual NS dancer has long since dried up, the price has risen through the ranks and shows no sign of slowing.

Wave after wave of horns open the way for one attention-seeking vocal to break through - boy this is one hell of a tune, featuring strong changes of pace, as Nick Allen voice bobs n’ weaves through his range. He purrs, he growls, he shouts as his enthusiasm peaks and runs away with him.

Girls, thundering horns are all thrown into the mix - this reminds me of the outstanding off-the-wall tunes that have made-it-big over the years; The Crow, James Lewis, Rufus Wood etc. different but totally infectious..

This tune is so different we think it still has a long, long way to go - and it’s going to be not a “hard” way.

I’m so into this record today, I almost forgot to tell you about the equally enthralling flip side that starts off very DEEP and lifts up into a pumping mid-tempo colossus!

TWO sides with the potential to rip your insides out…

The winning bid was £ 115.00

9081_1sm.jpg9081_1sm.jpg9081_2sm.jpg9081_3sm.jpg9081_4sm.jpg
Parliament Osmium

Genuine ORIGINAL July 1970 USA press in ultra-clean condition even retaining the gloss finish Lyric Sheet.

This iconic gatherings debut album that witnessed their progression from Plainfield, New Jersey, to Detroit Soul group on Revilot to team up with progressive Funk band from the Westbound label and assemble this outrageous groundbreaking album with the two bands ripping up the Holland - Dozier - Holland studios.

The soundclip will only tell a fraction of the story of George Clinton’s genius and the highly accomplished people who he worked with. George ultilizing the backing talents of the 5 man Funkadelic this was perhaps the wildest studio session of the last century… all captured on this disc.

NOTE this is not one of the many re-issues that broke surface on the back of the 1990 cult following of these guys & gals THIS IS THE ORIGINAL complete with the glossy double lyric sleeve, picture inner sleeve..

It’s complete and it’s immaculate …nuff said…

The winning bid was £ 81.00

9070_1sm.jpg9070_1sm.jpg9070_2sm.jpg
Forth Session She's Gone C/w Would You Love Me Too

We just didn’t know which side to lead with on this stinking-rare Florida Soul offering; as both sides give it up “Big” in two contrasting Soul genres. In fact John Standberry himself must have also been impressed with his double-creation as the label fails to indicate which side is actually the “A”

One side is really fabulous and the other side is a “Soul Masterpiece” so let’s go the masterpiece route first.

“She’s Gone” is a stone-cold Sweet Soul ballad that from the first note pierces your very inner-self… the lead falsetto stabs your heart with laser precision signalling his colleagues to glide in smoothing the atmosphere with velvety voices.

This is as silky as “Sweet Soul” can possibly rise to.. utterly exquisite.

Flip it over and the label that gave us Ricky Calloway & John Standberry’s rare Soul dance tunes again delivers a mover to remember. The identical shrill tightly-knit vocals collide with an uplifting dance-rhythm and the falsetto flies only to be occasionally punctuated by tough-guitar-chords. All this spun firmly together by those impressive guys buzzing away in the background..

We have had this record once before about a decade ago but in horrid street tired scratchy condition - this serious rarity is PERFECT! labels and vinyl are totally pristine…. as are the harmonies those like gleaming groove emit.

The winning bid was £ 111.00

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Let’s get serious..

A year or two ago I won the exact same tune via John on a acetate credited to Charles Smith at sth. like 250 GBP...nice increase in value.. !  

Social source share

Trends ?????????.

Is this really that rare.

I must have had at least a dozen over the years, never really rated it

so always sold it for loads less than half that. I'm sure it was on Bradford Market.

No it isn't Kegs. 

I've always liked it, and had a couple over the years too. They were about on Bradford, and a couple of other markets back in the day. 

Very  popular tune though, and the fact that it's a big sound on the more.... shall we say 'commercial' type big do's etc. seems to have pushed the price up. I'd always thought £100 tops.

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Let’s get serious..

A year or two ago I won the exact same tune via John on a acetate credited to Charles Smith at sth. like 250 GBP...nice increase in value.. !  

I was looking at this, not for Doctor Love, but the other side. It just went way above my limit before it finished.

The other disc last year was a single sided "Doctor Love" by Jonathan Smith, but I turned it down from Sam a couple of months before It was passed to JM for auction - I think he was after a bit more than £250 at the time, but not much more, maybe £300.

I would have paid a bit more than that to get "The Girl Next Door", but not four figures.

Still love "The Girl Next Door" though. I presume this was Dave Thorleys, although there are a couple of other copies so maybe it was one of those.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Don't agree with you on Andy Fisher, it's obviously turned up in numbers. 

true i agree' but they don't turn up for sale every day

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert