Buying Apathy Or Have All The Soul Buyers Left Ebay In Their Droves?

Hi Vince.

Try them set sale on here. I'm only an occasional buyer. I've bought a dozen or so this year. 11 on here and one on ebay US.

About the only positive with ebay is as a buyer people give you positive feedback. On here sellers are desperate for positive feedback, but only 2 (None this year) have given me any even if I paid immediately  :lol:

It is easier than ebay to get you record up in the sales section. The only fees are paypal unless you can get the buyer to circumnavigate their charges for you. No selling fees etc etc.

Also it is Cleggy this weekend. lots of dealers will be there, and people will be saving their money to buy the records, and have them in their hand. Without waiting on the postal lottery.

Hope to see you soon bud.

Mike

I know what you mean about FB Mike. I have loads of outstanding from ebay sellers and I rarely get any on SS purchases. I know I'll probs regret this, but I don't buy any more from the buyers who don't leave FB

Social source share

I'm glad it's not just me then! Several friends have suggested these forums, i'm just not really sure how to get started and "Facetwatter" is a complete anathama to me!

facetwatter (or c=ntbook as it is sometimes known) is not a magical solution. i looked through your list and am sorry to say that the tunes arnt worth buying for most buyers.

facebook has in recent times been awash with people selling cheap tunes and it just turns people off. theres a few discussions a year on groups like hassle free record selling about this very point. and people can choose to disarm your posts so you just end up alienating people

discogs is maybe worth a look for you, Vince. they dont charge to post ads just take a commission and i was surprised last year at some of the old sh+t people were prepared to buy. sold lots of 45s i got in job lots etc that i felt werent even salable. 

and if you have 1000s to put up its a lot easier than ebay as the pages for most cheap records are already there for you. you simply need to look at the cheapest price from a UK seller and ask for a bit less.

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

discogs is maybe worth a look for you, Vince. they dont charge to post ads just take a commission and i was surprised last year at some of the old sh+t people were prepared to buy. sold lots of 45s i got in job lots etc that i felt werent even salable. 

and if you have 1000s to put up its a lot easier than ebay as the pages for most cheap records are already there for you. you simply need to look at the cheapest price from a UK seller and ask for a bit less.

^This is true. I'm constantly amazed by the choices my buyers make and have learned that everything should be listed. Guessing what will be in demand is pointless, just list everything on discogs and forget about relisting and paying fees for items that are unsold.

As a bonus, if you are a collector, the discogs database will grow and details about different records (and prices) will be easier to find.

Social source share

^This is true. I'm constantly amazed by the choices my buyers make and have learned that everything should be listed. Guessing what will be in demand is pointless, just list everything on discogs and forget about relisting and paying fees for items that are unsold.

As a bonus, if you are a collector, the discogs database will grow and details about different records (and prices) will be easier to find.

yes list it all and list it cheapest and you can go for wrong

Social source share

. i looked through your list and am sorry to say that the tunes arnt worth buying for most buyers.

I do know what people want and have been dealing in soul 45s for a very long time. I normally sell around 3000 soul 45s a year on ebay but i sadly i can't keep listing the northern soul top 500 to please the majority. Any idiot can sell high end stuff, God knows i've sold enough but up until now i have also sold a steady stream of quality soul titles without too much aggro. I goes back to what i said at the beginning, there's too many soul records around now and not enough buyers, 2/3 years ago i would have sold every item listed for at least their start price. The "soul buying" traffic to ebay just isn't there any more! By the way i don't expect "most buyers" to be interested i expect some, like i said in the original post i can sell metal/prog albums all day long with huge interest but sadly most of the soul collectors seem to have have buggered off! (see previous posts i.e. people who cant be arsed to look through the endless boots etc)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I tend to buy at the lower end £30 max these days , usually prefer to get small packs to save on postage or just collect certain labels that i can get 90% of in my range or cheapies that are not on cd.

There is a bit of money out there but most people wont look for stuff they dont know or is not a 100 mph northern floor filling stomper as a lot want stuff to dj with

Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

I totally agree no one wants to buy anymore and if they do they want records that are 50yrs old to be mint  probably get slagged off and that is the reason i decided to leave the scene and sell my collection

Social source share

I do know what people want and have been dealing in soul 45s for a very long time. I normally sell around 3000 soul 45s a year on ebay but i sadly i can't keep listing the northern soul top 500 to please the majority. Any idiot can sell high end stuff, God knows i've sold enough but up until now i have also sold a steady stream of quality soul titles without too much aggro. I goes back to what i said at the beginning, there's too many soul records around now and not enough buyers, 2/3 years ago i would have sold every item listed for at least their start price. The "soul buying" traffic to ebay just isn't there any more! By the way i don't expect "most buyers" to be interested i expect some, like i said in the original post i can sell metal/prog albums all day long with huge interest but sadly most of the soul collectors seem to have have buggered off! (see previous posts i.e. people who cant be arsed to look through the endless boots etc)

firstly, i dont mean to cause offense, Vince. you came looking for answers presumably. these are my opinions as someone who buys a fair amount of tunes each month from ebay at all levels. do with them what you will but definitely check out discogs if you are not on it already and make sure you are the cheapest for the best hit rate.

and, again dont take this the wrong way, but if you knew what people wanted and had that up for a price that is fair to assume you would sell them right? as you are not that statement seems to be at odds with the reality of what is going on. 

records that are a decent buy dont stay on ebay for long. people are on them like a shot. simple economics. 

too many soul records around? economic logic dictates that they are too expensive or else they would get sold. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I totally agree no one wants to buy anymore and if they do they want records that are 50yrs old to be mint probably get slagged off and that is the reason i decided to leave the scene and sell my collection

I honestly don't know how people can expect to get Mint Northern Soul records anymore. These are 50 years old, have probably been in several collections and been played a few dozen times in most cases. Unless it's unplayed U.S. Stock, then the chances of a classic being Mint are negligible IMO....

Ian D :)

Social source share

I see on Discogs that there is a "wants list" function.  As a seller, can you notify/alert the people who have listed your records as wants that you have a copy available to sell? 

You can look through people individual wants lists and send them a message but many of those lists were compiled a long time and the person may no longer be active on Discogs or already have found the record. When you list an item for sale Discogs automatically message the people who have it in their wants lists.

To answer Vince's original question my opinion is that there are less people buying records and too much stuff available with people selling off their collections.

Most of the established collectors already have all the low to mid-priced records and they're looking for the more expensive items or something relatively new.

Social source share

its been like it for a few years now i put some rare Sues on and no interest shown unless theyre very cheap .

a dealer i know has given up selling soul as he says he cant shift them and sticks to jazz and beat .

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

firstly, i dont mean to cause offense, Vince. you came looking for answers presumably. these are my opinions as someone who buys a fair amount of tunes each month from ebay at all levels. do with them what you will but definitely check out discogs if you are not on it already and make sure you are the cheapest for the best hit rate.

and, again dont take this the wrong way, but if you knew what people wanted and had that up for a price that is fair to assume you would sell them right? as you are not that statement seems to be at odds with the reality of what is going on. 

records that are a decent buy dont stay on ebay for long. people are on them like a shot. simple economics. 

too many soul records around? economic logic dictates that they are too expensive or else they would get sold. 

I think the point is being totally missed! If all of my 45s only just scraped the start price i would be pissed off but when i have to suffer the indignity of 10 or 20% of them just about making the start price i'm virtually suicidal! They're not too expensive infact they are too cheap! Example: i have a copy of Smoke "Have I really lost you" on J. Bridge. It's on at £9.95 start price with no watchers! i wholesaled 6 copies last year for £15.00 each! The Scene's f**ked!

Social source share

Example: i have a copy of Smoke "Have I really lost you" on J. Bridge. It's on at £9.95 start price with no watchers! i wholesaled 6 copies last year for £15.00 each! The Scene's f**ked!

Hmmm a good example of a record you could put in your box for £1 and still not sell in months I am afraid…….just not fashionable, nobody wants records like that now. Sorry.

Social source share

I think the point is being totally missed! If all of my 45s only just scraped the start price i would be pissed off but when i have to suffer the indignity of 10 or 20% of them just about making the start price i'm virtually suicidal! They're not too expensive infact they are too cheap! Example: i have a copy of Smoke "Have I really lost you" on J. Bridge. It's on at £9.95 start price with no watchers! i wholesaled 6 copies last year for £15.00 each! The Scene's f**ked!

to be fair ive not missed the point at all. 

with business its easier to look for an excuse rather than a reason. and easier to talk about it than to find a solution.

they are not too cheap if nobody is buying them. that would suggest they are overpriced.

basic rules of trading dictate make hay while the sun shines, hence your examples. what is left is your stock and you sell it for what you can get for it if you need money. the price of everything shifts.

finally, if its your living and you are suicidal thats tough and i genuinely feel for you mate. 

however, the rules of economics still apply. market dictates price. supply and demand rules. no commodity, object or service is exempt from that dictum that i know of. 

Social source share

I sold quite a lot of stuff via auction recently and did very well...people are buying if its a bargain as Steve indicates...the economics are market driven....some records become in-demand and its possible to sell at double/triple/quadruple your selling price...esp with new collectors who are looking for new sounds e.g. funky dance driven stuff..or the more advanced constantly searching DJ's who want to have something first or before anyone else

Example  Manujoti bought for 30 sold for 300

Sherell Brothers bought for 30 on ebay (Thanks) sold for 250

Richard Marks bought for 700 sold for 1500

Buddy Cantrell bought for 800 sold for 2500

Marshall Donovan bought for 25 sold for 500

Cheaper stuff no one seems to be bothered and its better to concentrate on newer stuff imo....Mind You I have sold pretty much everything I have ...

Social source share

What you should do is chuck all your unsold stuff in a box and not open it for 10 years.Taste may change.

Mate of mine done that only his box was marked "pile of shit" He sold a copy of Elipsis from that very box. :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Crikey i'd love to have a look through your £1 box!!!!! :g:

Also Vince, never under-estimate the power of the world market and especially the younger buyers who want to amass a collection but don't necessarily have the big bucks. Selling the odd Northern tune here or there probably accounts for about 5% of my sales. I have repeat buyers who come back every month and spend anywhere between £20-£100 a time for multiple 7's or 12's and I love 'em. Everybody has to start somewhere and that's the audience that I target.

Ian D :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I sold quite a lot of stuff via auction recently and did very well...people are buying if its a bargain as Steve indicates...the economics are market driven....some records become in-demand and its possible to sell at double/triple/quadruple your selling price...esp with new collectors who are looking for new sounds e.g. funky dance driven stuff..or the more advanced constantly searching DJ's who want to have something first or before anyone else

Example  Manujoti bought for 30 sold for 300

Sherell Brothers bought for 30 on ebay (Thanks) sold for 250

Richard Marks bought for 700 sold for 1500

Buddy Cantrell bought for 800 sold for 2500

Marshall Donovan bought for 25 sold for 500

Cheaper stuff no one seems to be bothered and its better to concentrate on newer stuff imo....Mind You I have sold pretty much everything I have ...

yeah but the tunes in your whole post bears no resemblance to the original posters tunes so there is no comparison.

plenty of people could post enough examples of similar on ebay, here, nights or the general net but whats the point to the original post.

Social source share

You can still sell them for £15 each, but not quickly. The last one sold on discogs was March this year. It sold for £20 (NM). Previously it has sold for as little as £10. There are currently eight copies for sale: https://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=1919529

Social source share

Something which always amazes me about ebay is items which fail to attract a bid, which get re-listed at a lower start price and then sell for MORE than the original asking price... I would definitely recommend dropping the price if a record fails to sell. OR re-listing as buy-it-nows, as you get 30 days to sell, not 7.

I get the impression the whole nature of collecting has changed with the internet. Twenty years ago, owning the records and swapping tapes or whatever was the only way to hear this stuff. Which involved amassing big collections and lots of speculative purchases and "collection fodder". I'm not convinced anyone is really interested in "stuff for the collection", you can go on youtube and listen to tunes and just buy the records that you REALLY want. The music's all out there, you don't actually physically need to own it. People really just want stuff to DJ with, which on the whole means "big records". 

Absolutely correct. Saw a very rare record in poor condition on a buy it now for $99 which didn't sell. The guy re listed it as an auction with a low start price and it went for $199.

Collecting a large number of records seems like a great idea when you are twenty years old. Seems totally pointless once you get to fifty years old. 

Hot boxing is the new collecting.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As a buyer for years I never really bothered with UK ebay  as there was never any chance of a bargain and everything was 'book' price. If I'm paying full price then I'd rather see the condition first.

The last time I looked there were endless pages of carvers and boots so I don't look now.

Ebay US was the place I bought most of my records for the past 15 years but I gave up when the postage went nuts and I started paying customs duty on everything.

It's not the tax I object to, it's the handling fee and stupid postage which when added together ended up making most of the records I wanted overpriced.

Edited by grouse
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I wish more of you would agree with Chalky cos some f**ker is stopping me getting 45s at a reasonable price never mind bargains.

Still in the main cheaper than buying in the UK and under "book" value.

Gotta be bargain if less than the book. Er.......

ROD

This could well be a post in itself but in relation to the OP:

The prices gained in the real world whether on Ebay or other markets are increasingly making 'the book price' look ridiculous and utterly out of touch. The vast majority of 'lower end' pieces, regardless of the quality of the 45, are fetching a fraction of the book price even in clean condition. This may well be because of a glut of lower end items available or a lack of interest in them from the 'market' or little of both.

Regardless, the bigger dealers sites still leave the lower end priced items at or even above book price to catch the odd ill-informed fish.

Then paradoxically, the high-end items, whether 'hard' classics in clean condition or 'in-demand' items fetch higher than 'book' prices. This high-end market would seem to be dominated by a relatively small group of collectors and DJ's with the money to pursue these items.

C'est la vie :g:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Vince - I've stopped selling on ebay for nearly a year now.  I have a permanent stock of between 1500 and 2000 records on Discogs which cost me zero to list, and I pay them 7% when I sell something.  I've sold 989 records on there since last August.  Most is stuff that would never have sold out of a sales box or on ebay.  It shows you how many copies are for sale of each title, and who's selling them.  

I've said this many times before but the reason for people not using eBay is nothing to do with eBay IMO

when I want a record I google it. The first hit is almost always discogs so I go there for a set sale. The eBay links on google are usually out of date so useless. There are millions and millions of people out there who use google to look for everything, obviously. There are often copies on Gemm or Musicstack too, but where are they in google, page 5? Or page 10 if you're lucky with Gemm.

and Discogs is free to list and cheaper fees, and takes 5 seconds to list, it's a no brainer for me,

cheers Sutty

Social source share

I've said this many times before but the reason for people not using eBay is nothing to do with eBay IMO

when I want a record I google it. The first hit is almost always discogs so I go there for a set sale. The eBay links on google are usually out of date so useless. There are millions and millions of people out there who use google to look for everything, obviously. There are often copies on Gemm or Musicstack too, but where are they in google, page 5? Or page 10 if you're lucky with Gemm.

and Discogs is free to list and cheaper fees, and takes 5 seconds to list, it's a no brainer for me,

cheers Sutty

This is so true, ebay listings just do not get indexed quickly enough to show up in Google so if you get an ebay listing in a google search it just isn't worth clicking on.

The other main difference between ebay and discogs is that with discogs you are not trying to find someone who will buy your record in the next 7 days. The only stuff that sells in 7 days is stuff that is in demand or under priced. Listing 15 quid records on ebay for 8 quid is not going to make them sell in 7 days as the chances of finding a buyer for a run of the mill record that is easily available in that time are tiny.

Social source share

the book price is cooked up between dealers so why they want ridiculous prices that block sales i dunno

I suspect the issue is partly because the JM guide states a price it is assumed that is the going rate, but that may be the amount that JM will charge when he sells from his plethora of vinyl. It is my understanding the JM guide puts the price on a minter, since most records are 50 years old there are few in that condition knocking about so a vinyl in E condition would be 75% of the guide price and VG+ vinyl would only be 50% of the guide price etc. 

The future may be bleak or harder for sellers of NS vinyl and the price of the records may continue to fall over the next few years for the following reasons:

More of the community will be retired and lose the income from well paid jobs that could fund expensive purchases and the NS population shrinks with some of the number falling off the perch.

Perhaps sellers will need to understand and adapt to the changing dynamics and economics in the NS environment. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Returning to the title of the thread, it looks like eBay has lost its way due to high fees, postal charges and the quantity of bootlegs, carvers, reissues etc. Maybe one day it will reset the commission it charges and lower the Pay Pal fee, but don't hold your breath. There are now so many records for sale on the internet, it's impossible to search all sellers' offerings so buyers are forced to be highly selective. Whereas Price Guides were initially a mixed blessing, exposing obscure sounds at a price favouring store keepers, they are now highly inaccurate at the top and bottom ends of the price range. The bottom has fallen out of the market but this should result in wholesale discounting and possibly new entrants to the collecting ranks...watch this space.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As someone who has purchased some great tracks from Vince over the years and just grabbed Nolan Strong and the Diablo's "Mind Over Matter" from him for a good price (perfect edition to Detroit collection) - I feel the need to state that Vince stocks and sell a wide variety of soul sounds.

However, Vince as per a lot of the other posts here - I tend to gravitate first to Discogs and then to Soul Source when chasing particular items. I do find Discogs an easy way to buy without the hassle of waiting for an auction to end.

As per Vince's pricing they are definitely not an issue. Keep listing Vince and I will always have a look at what you have.

ATB 

Social source share

Hi, Well as a Seller/Buyer on Ebay since 1998 when I was initially Ebay USA , indeed the bargains were to be had in the early days but as stated by many people on here it is now saturated by boots,presses, modern re-issues on the labels we see day in day out, I did in the years gone by sell 45s for a decent price and originals but noticed a big decline of late hence I sell less on there nowadays, I remember picking up Yvonne Baker - C.Parkway orig for $28.00 in very nice condition in the very early days prompting a email from Greg Tormo saying jammy b****** and Shrine originals for great prices, but that was all pre the Northern price guides in US sellers hands and hence prices were to rocket slowly but surely with those Northern rarities which then they did not know what was what in general, yes there were always a few US sellers who knew the business and we know who they are, so then Ebay began to get harder to find bargains, but must admit now and then some Really rare stuff shows up like Andantes VIP recently, even The Counts, Cavaliers on Shrine years back and Lester Tipton on La-Beat but all top end and rightly so as rarities, but lower end the market is flooded and more people have knowledge nowadays through various publications and access to media, back in the day we never had that exposure , so I guess it will never truly return to that pre online world, the days we got stuff were records lists sent in post and those Northern mags with adverts,

I have no quarrels in my time on Ebay and had good and bad times, but realize the best days and true bargains are getting harder to find, there will always be a High end Rare quality 45 market due to so few of those about but then you have to have the ££££, so all in all for me I will still look for those 45s I want and sell here and there but know it is not what it used to be !!!

Cheers

Dave G

Edited by soulgrooves
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've never been much of a buyer or a seller, so my opinion might stand for nothing. But surely it's a simple supply and demand thing. There can't be that many people on this earth who a) want to own vinyl records and b) want to own old obsure soul records. Ok, I know they still sell, but percentages wise, demand can't be high.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ebay has tried to become more like a shop type place and move further away from the auction system over the years. That's one reason why there are a lot of boots and new pressings - because they can sit there on a fixed price. I personally don't think that's got anything whatsoever to do with original vinyl selling for less but I'm sure there are some people who think reissues and boots are responsible for AIDs and Cancer. The only thing that really bugs me about the pressings on ebay is that they've fucked up my saved searches!

Anyway, where once there was mostly old and 2nd hand stuff on ebay, I'd guess that more than half of everything on there are new products in one way or another. This doesn't just apply to records, it's everything. Ebay wanted to compete with Amazon, without the burden of storing or holding any stock themselves, and that's largely what they are now doing.

There are a few general reasons why I think Ebay might be less busy for second hand records these days, even if I don't think it's substantially so. The high fees and stupid shipping demands when listing on EBay US etc have put sellers off. Many people list on discogs, and many, many collectors now sell on facebook. For my own part, I generally list some reissues at buy it now and occasionally when I can be bothered I list some lesser grade stuff that's hard to price, start it low (99 cents), and am generally quite surprised by the high amounts that these can end up. But it's a hassle and I don't like giving up 20% to a company I have come to resent quite strongly due to their various rule changes and fee hiking over the years. The rest of my stuff I generally sell pretty quickly set sale on facebook or discogs.

£15 records are generally hard to sell, and always have been. The reason being that they are £15 because they're relatively common. If I look for stuff to resell, I'll leave this kind of stuff behind unless it's dirt cheap. £25 and up normally sells quickly if you price it accurately and fairly. Like others have said, it's supply and demand, and fitting a price which matches the current market value. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm with Tim,  do most of my selling on Facebook now and a little on  Soul Source   :thumbsup:

but the problem wont magically disappear on FB. people still dont want to see a bunch of 10 quid and under tunes on there either. its one of the most common moans alongside fantasy / timelord pricing.

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!