John Manship Auction Results 11 - 6 2014

Discounting of three figure records often happens because some of us have to make a living and do not have the stock, like some people, to be able to leave said record on the shelf and bringing it out again in a years time.  Here and now, money or no money, I'll take the money please and if that means selling a £100 record for £75 - it's got f*ck all to do with anyone else and people should celebrate getting a bargain, not moan because it might be "devaluing" their precious collection.  I mean really.  Are peoples mindsets really controlled by a man writing down prices in a "guide"?

Hi Pete. Nothing wrong with full-time dealers offering a discount, especially if the record has been in stock for ages and the profit margin suits.  The increasing tendency for non-collecting DJ's to move records on because of limited dance floor reaction is devaluing decent records that could sit in another box for an oldies set or a revival night. Three figure tunes should be treated as such and not consigned to the get-rid-of-it-quick circuit. Owners of 'precious' collections have every right to be concerned if records they have paid top whack for are being traded like baseball cards. It isn't in dealers or collectors interests to fuel record deflation unless 25 count boxes turn up of former rarities. I think most of us regard the Price Guides as just that, a rough indication less 20% VAT, to help appraise an item to bid on rather than a value stamped on a sticker. Collectors in it for the long haul deserve to operate in a stable market vulnerable to enough idiosyncrasies without seeing their treasured sounds downgraded.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Pete. Nothing wrong with full-time dealers offering a discount, especially if the record has been in stock for ages and the profit margin suits.  The increasing tendency for non-collecting DJ's to move records on because of limited dance floor reaction is devaluing decent records that could sit in another box for an oldies set or a revival night. Three figure tunes should be treated as such and not consigned to the get-rid-of-it-quick circuit. Owners of 'precious' collections have every right to be concerned if records they have paid top whack for are being traded like baseball cards. It isn't in dealers or collectors interests to fuel record deflation unless 25 count boxes turn up of former rarities. I think most of us regard the Price Guides as just that, a rough indication less 20% VAT, to help appraise an item to bid on rather than a value stamped on a sticker. Collectors in it for the long haul deserve to operate in a stable market vulnerable to enough idiosyncrasies without seeing their treasured sounds downgraded.

Totally agree  :thumbsup:

Also, an individual selling a £500+ record at £300 because they need the money coming in does not make it a £300 record  :no:  That is one of my concerns about previous posts - that people will think it's a £300 record because one person said they would sell it for that, even though they don't have one to sell. I think that potentially fuels record deflation.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought Tony Hestor on Giant was a good buyer's price.

I thought it was double actual price!

Pete - you said above that the price achieved was double the actual price - so on that basis you are saying you think the true value of the record is £287.

That's very different to saying you would discount it to £287 to make sure you had cash coming in.

That's all I'm saying.

It's plainly not a £287 record  :no:  :no: It's misleading to suggest it is.

Over and out  :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

So ... soul music record collectors have a moral duty to act in such a manner so as not to devalue the record collections of other soul music record collectors ?

What an interesting concept !

Not so it appears. Record grabbing by hot-boxing DJ's for quick-spin and move-on purposes serves no one in the long run. Transient collectors who throw it it in and sell up cheap contribute to the problem. Serious long term collectors get by without knock-down 'bargains' but can well do without Loadsamoney types casually discarding records that ultimately discredit well regarded sounds. I imagine genuine collectors would not do anything rash enough to devalue their records or anyone else's collections but then, not every collector is a committed enthusiast with a high regard for the ethos of the scene.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is mad! Surely you are gonna try and buy a record for as cheap as you can possibly get it and then if you decide to sell, sell for what you think is a fair price. Heck you may even sell it for an inflated price if you think its genuinely worth that. Hense some pieces go to auction. If you buy something at an inflated price thats a personal decision as is selling it cheaper than the perceived market value to make a sale.

Ultimately its absolutely nobody elses business except the two interested parties!

I collect records n I could'nt give a hoot if the market value of rare records drops effecting the value of my own records. In fact I hope it does so I can buy the ones I really want. I'd like to think I have enough sense not to waste money on a record that is not worth what I am payng for it and if I did decide to over spend thats my choice. If the collector is more concerned about their investment well then I say be more careful what you spend your money on.

A wise man once said

Any Idiot can be complicated, it takes real genius to be simple.

Hullaballoooo

Ktf

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Didn't know about these until I read this thread. Could only find Mick Smith selling a copy and duly purchased!!  :thumbsup:

I don't know the source so I had to buy them when they first came out for £7, Mick I think managed to get about 15 or 20 and he's sold most of them if not all, price went up to £10 then £15, this is only 4 weeks after it's press.  Wish I'd kept one.  But I have a Columbia test pressing* of it anyway so it doesn't really matter.

* which I made myself LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Didn't know about these until I read this thread. Could only find Mick Smith selling a copy and duly purchased!!  :thumbsup:

i dont understand? is this a legit re-issue or has somebody booted Helen Shapiro. and if its the latter why are we getting excited over this?

Social source share

9060_1sm.jpg9060_1sm.jpg9060_2sm.jpg
Chandlers (never Before) Your Love Keeps Drawing Me Closer C/w I Love You, Girl

I’ve always doubted the authenticity of the copies you see of this 45 with the “QCA matrix”. Even though the label credits the same writer/producer (but in poorly quality text. The acknowledged “Rite Sound” 1st press, the deadwax width and matrix markings are totally different that can suggest only one thing. The QCA press is a later and was remastered (sound is lower) calibration of the grooves are tighter and was not lifted from the same master plate. Whether that press was a bootleg or a later Jeff Smith project is unclear.

What is however glaringly clear is the “RITE” sound press before you today, is the 100% original first press. Note: for easy identification the artist credit is in “lower case” but also the sound has much better fidelity and depth.

Personally I think, if the QCA copies did not exist this Northern Soul vocal group masterclass would be tipping the scales at 4 figures. It is extremely elusive and darn near impossible in perfect condition.

Click the soundfile and unleash not just highly-accomplished Northern Soul but also sublime vocal harmony ballad on the flip!

For those of you who will not entertain any form of re-issue this is the ONLY way to own this 45… and what a 45 is is too.. utterly KILLER TUNE!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 334.00

Well my QCA press has a strikingly clear text.

Also the sound quality is so good it fairly jumps out of the speakers ("I Loved You Girl") side anyway. To be honest I"ve not played the other side for a good while

Soooooo.........???

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!