Boogie Man Orchestra

Tezza

Where you find that Tezz? Looks Kosher, maybe it was picked up by RCA, but didn't end up as a full release based on reaction to the demos?

I dont recall ever having seen one either - Pete S will probably know, he's had at least one of most things pass through his hands over the years.

Social source share

Where you find that Tezz? Looks Kosher, maybe it was picked up by RCA, but didn't end up as a full release based on reaction to the demos?

I dont recall ever having seen one either - Pete S will probably know, he's had at least one of most things pass through his hands over the years.

On the Web there is an Issue so got released by the looks of it.

Social source share

wow, looks right doesn't it.... I know this track is old hat, but I do Love this 45, reminds me of the Sinatras in Birmingham.

Mal

I was just listening to an old Cleethorpes Tape and it was on.  It occured to me that I haven't got a copy and I'm sure it's not gonna break the Bank - Then I saw this !!!

Social source share

Different. Whats the original Mel Hayes on Boogie Man going for now?

Isn't it the vocal flip? Inst one side vocal by Mel on the other! Still makes it a brill 5 quid track...I always wondered, the uk is littered with this 45, is it the same on the states or are they rarer over there...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Isn't it the vocal flip? Inst one side vocal by Mel on the other! Still makes it a brill 5 quid track...I always wondered, the uk is littered with this 45, is it the same on the states or are they rarer over there...

Malcolm

No I think a few copies came out originally with no reference to Boogie Man Orchestra!

Social source share

Mal C, on 10 Jun 2014 - 3:13 PM, said:

Malcolm

The original copies were credited to Mel Hayes first rather than BMO. Sure it was Dave Thorley who had a copy for sale last time I saw it but I missed it. Can't remember the price though. Always wanted one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Mel Hayes Instrumental version is much longer on the first release than on the later Boogie Man / RCA releases, coming in at over 4 mins instead of the 3 min versions on the later releases. (In all cases the vocal version is the same, just over 4 mins)

I have a Mel Hayes here ...

https://northernsoulrecords.com/recordsoriginals.shtm

... about 3 / 4 of the way down the page.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Might be firing blanks here :-) But aren't they all by Mel Hayes as the record is written my him, and isn't he the vocalist?
What is the difference record wise, if any, between the ones that are credited as 'Mel Hayes', and the ones that are credited to the 'Boogie Man Orchestra'?
Is it just the label print?

Social source share

Mel was the vocalist but the record was written, produced and arranged by Don and Ken Marrier.

The biggest difference between the Mel Hayes and the BMO release is the Mel Hayes instrumental

is 4:11 and the Boogie Man Orch. instrumental clocks in at 3:19. (see post #23)

Also , on the BMO release the instrumental is the A side while on the Mel Hayes release the vocal is

the A side.

Edited by the yank
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!