What Does It Take - Soul Sam 12" C. 1993

Can anyone help identify this for me - Sam was playing a 12" of 'What does it take to win your love' around 1992/3, no vocal, just a fully instrumental sax version which always sounded great played out.

Definitely a 12" as I remember looking at the decks. Would guess a fairly modern release at that time. I have a feeling it got a mention in an old Manifesto or similar but can't find the article anywhere. Have been through all the versions on Youtube, etc, but can't find it. Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

The only 12" version of this track I know is the version by Tony Rome on Kency Records ( it's a green/ yellow coloured label)...... There is an instrumental b side but not sure if it's the version you're looking for..... It's from 82 I think. Kind of bass heavy mid tempo version. I can forward a soundfile if that helps ?

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Hi Chris

I remember him playing the Bay Brothers but that's a vocal...

There is a housey thing that samples it but not sure if Sam would have played that...he may have done....was by someone called ??Soul Collective? I know its black label with white text!

I will see if I can find the housey thing as I got given it....played once and filed

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

• 4 months later...

or Buddy Miles and the California Raisins

Thanks Baz but neither of those - going to have to go up in the loft and dig out old Manifestos to find Sam's reviews as I'm sure it got a mention in there

Again much more 'modern' sounding than either of these, though of course Buddy Miles is a fairly recent recording 

Faster paced and more dance oriented

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!