Willie Gresham And Free Food Tickett

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"About this time I formed my own group, Gregg Smith and Shades of Brown. I had a lot of very strong players. The Wilson Pickett Band had come through there and broke up. Some of the band members teamed up with me. Willie Gresham was our awesome saxophonist. We would have a couple of days a week when we would have access to the rehearsal hall at the college Arts Center. Before we would even attempt to do a song, each player would have to break down their part on their instrument and then write out the music. This is how we would study. We broke songs down before we even began to play it. We'd analyze it then we'd put it together and rehearse it. We were so tight from that disciplined approach. It taught us so much musically. We were opening for groups like Albert Collins in Oakland, Portland, all around the West coast. I thought I was really on my way then. By the time I got to be about 32, I was opening for folks like James Brown. I did three dates with James. I also began to do a lot of writing about that time."

https://www2.1starnet.com/hallv/Honey%20Gro...s_Musicians.htm

Social source share

https://www.saleomatic.com/WillieGresham.html

"At the time, the Midnighters consisted of Hank Ballard, Henry Booth, Lawson Smith, and Norman Thrasher, with a road band that had Cal Green (guitar), Willie Gresham (sax), Pat Patterson (trumpet), Semuel [sic] Evans (bassist), and James Gadson (drums). "

https://home.att.net/~marvart/Carpets/carpets.html

BRILLIANT VERY INFORMATIVE,THANKS LARS.

BAZ A

Social source share

• 10 months later...

Decided to bump this thread because this is such a wonderful 45, especially the boo hoo side! Been on constant rotation since i got it about 6 months ago, and i never seem to get tired of it.

If anyone ever encounters a copy of it BUY ON SIGHT! (and no I don't have one for sale, but it should be easy enough to pick up somewhere else)

Social source share

Decided to bump this thread because this is such a wonderful 45, especially the boo hoo side! Been on constant rotation since i got it about 6 months ago, and i never seem to get tired of it.

If anyone ever encounters a copy of it BUY ON SIGHT! (and no I don't have one for sale, but it should be easy enough to pick up somewhere else)

very good of you as well ,bloody great track good to see it get the reCognition it deserves.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
so, w/ respect to the "boo hoo" side, have y'all heard this or spun it at a northern night? i've had it in my box for a while, but have yet to break it out for the public, i guess. that said, both sides are indeed top-notch!
Spun this at last Amlwch nighter, it's still in my play box so good chance it will hit the decks again this Saturday. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert