Spring Records

Afternoon smile.gif !

Picking up on Baz's label faves posts...

PIcked up Millie Jacksons - Ask Me What You Want ( SS tip! Thanks!)

Also picked up Eddie McLoyd - Once You Fall In Love

& a batch of Joe Simon / Millie 45s (Yet to play thru)

Know there is a lot of Millie/Fatback/Simon 45s on the label- Anyone have any faves / underplayed / criminally ignored from these artists?

Anything else you rave over on the label?

ATB

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Afternoon smile.gif !

Know there is a lot of Millie/Fatback/Simon 45s on the label- Anyone have any faves / underplayed / criminally ignored from these artists?

ATB

Rich

If your open to some cracking lp`s then you cant go wrong with Millie`s

" caught up" " still caught up" & " get it outcha system" the last was released on Polydor which distributed Spring records but i think there are early Spring releases out there. I highly recommend all 3 if you like 70`s soul .

Garv

Social source share

For soul ballad fans out there there is a fantastically deep rendition of Bobby Bland's Lead Me On on Spring by The Internationals. It's akin to a traditional gospel treatment of the classic secularised spiritual which is right up there with the Bland original and Gwen McCrae's fantastic version on Columbia. How this slipped out on a relatively major label like Spring in the mid 70s I'll never know, but I'm very glad it did.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Afternoon smile.gif !

ATB

Rich

This one gets a few plays in the Record room :boxing:

"Lou Jackson-I can`t believe you said you loved me/Peace to you Brother-Spring 110"

Also check out the Lp by "Act 1" on Spring,worth picking up blind if you don`t know it ,should be pretty cheap also,and there`s a great version of "Still Water" on there :lol:

Dave f..........

Social source share

Off the top of my head Act One - 'It Takes Both Of Us' is great - numerous Garland Green with my fave being 'Just Loving You'. There were a couple of great compilations from the late 80s / early 90s which included both those tracks and some other Spring sides. Compiled by Bill Shannon I think.

Cheers Gareth

Afternoon smile.gif !

I'd forgotten this was on Spring - had it for years on UK Brunswick - top tune !!

Girf

Social source share

YES DONT BE FOOLED THIS IS ONE OF THE DEFINITIVE SOUL LOGOS OF THE SEVENTIES,I THINK THE CATALOGUE WILL BE COMPREHENSIVE,I DO KNOW JOE SIMON TURNED PRODUCER ON ALOT OF THE STUFF ALSO.

WOULD OF THOUGHT DAVE OR TONEY ROUNCE COULD HELP US PUT THE LOGO INTO CONTEXT SOME OF MY FAVS ARE AS FOLLOWS.

YES GARETH THE INTERNATIONALS IS BLOODY AWESOME ,AS IS MILLIE JACKSON -LEFTOVERS ,CRUMBS ON THE TABLE AND A PERSONNEL FAV IS THE AWESOME LOVE DOCTOR WHICH GETS SOME SPINS IN THE NEWCASTLE AREA.

ALSO LOVE THE DALTRY MARTIN TRACK STAY WITH ME ,BUT I HAVE TO SAY ONE OF MY PERSONNEL TRACKS IS THE BRILLIANT RAY GODFREY -GOT TO GET AWAY.

WILL DIG A FEW MORE OUT LATER GOT ME THINKING NOW ,GOT LOADS OF JOE SIMON STUFF WILL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED.

Social source share

Me...I really like Vernon Brown...Of Your Life ,with I'm a Lover on the flip....2 good tunes

Also Larry Banks...Don't Pull Away.....so soulful :thumbsup:

=======

2 wigan biggies on the label

renee prior - broadway

&

busta jones - just a little misunderstanding....

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

=======

2 wigan biggies on the label

renee prior - broadway

&

busta jones - just a little misunderstanding....

Renee Prior certainly filled the floor early doors, got a one sided acetate somewhere....

Social source share

Thanks to all for the tips..

Will play thru the Spring stack tonight- hopefully pull out some others - Will attempt a discog if there isnt one about - Of course just seen the Kent Spring comp (shoulda looked there!) . .

Thanks to Dave F for the Act 1 LP tip -

Also am I right that Millies ' House For Sale ' didnt get a US Spring release but a UK one???? Bit of a mystery to me if it didn't.

Cheers guys - keep em coming!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

In a similar vein to the Lou Johnson is Winfield Parker "28 Ways She Loves Me".

A real gritty performance from the man.

Definately a sleeper!

Also recommend Luv Co "Things Are Not The Same". Real nice Fingersnapper!

Always loved Millie Jackson's "Ask Me What You Want" - Superb Femme Midtempo!

Joe Simon - "Let Me Be The One Who Loves You" is an old Spring Spin of mine from Clifton Hall - Its a magnificent bouncy thing, similar to Phillip Mitchell's "I'm So Happy"

All Top Tips (IMO)

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I did knock out a couple of CDs of Spring material (one on Kent, it's one of my faves, and one on Southbound, more the hits) and another is in the pipeline, so I'll borrow a few of your recommendations, if I may.

My faves are anything by the Mayberry Movement (though it's more Event, the sister label), Ray Godfrey's I'm The Other Half Of You and the Act One tracks.

Social source share

Afternoon :wicked: !

ATB

Rich

I know you like the deep stuff Rich , do you know Millie's " A child of god [ it's hard to believe ] " ? or a brilliant album track by Joe Simon " Crying time in Memphis " ." Fire burning " is a great dancer from the same album [ can't remember title off the top of my head !! Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

I know you like the deep stuff Rich , do you know Millie's " A child of god [ it's hard to believe ] " ? or a brilliant album track by Joe Simon " Crying time in Memphis " ." Fire burning " is a great dancer from the same album [ can't remember title off the top of my head !! Best Wishes ,Eddie

Hi Eddie

Will check on the above - Have a pile of Joe / Millie 45s to go thru - Just one of those labels I've not paid too much attention to! Why I dont know... Thanks again

Rich

Social source share

One of my favourite Millie tunes is "There you are" off the "Free and in love" Lp "Spring" 1976,

a right belter as they say :wicked:

Dave f.................

Social source share

I did knock out a couple of CDs of Spring material (one on Kent, it's one of my faves, and one on Southbound, more the hits) and another is in the pipeline, so I'll borrow a few of your recommendations, if I may.

My faves are anything by the Mayberry Movement (though it's more Event, the sister label), Ray Godfrey's I'm The Other Half Of You and the Act One tracks.

==================================================================

Is there much in the 'can' re. Spring Ady?

Cheers. Rich

Social source share

Afternoon :wicked: !

ATB

Rich

Millie Jackson - Caught Up was one of the first soul albums I ever bought (in fact one of the first anything albums!).

Brilliant album, very brilliant and talented singer who, imho, diluted that talent considerably with later stuff.

J.

Social source share

My Spring / Event favourites include 'I'm The Other Half Of You' (Ray Godfrey), 'Sending My Best Wishes' (Garland Green), 'A Child Of God' (Millie Jackson), 'Step By Step' (Joe Simon), 'It's The Same Old Story' (Act One), 'Don't Ask Me To Forget' (Jay & The Techniques) and others by Ronnie Walker, Mayberry Movement, Phillip Mitchell, Prince Harold, Eddie McLoyd, etc.

Of course there are LOADS of great tracks by Millie Jackson and Joe Simon which should be in every collection.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

In a similar vein to the Lou Johnson is Winfield Parker "28 Ways She Loves Me".

A real gritty performance from the man.

Definately a sleeper!

Also recommend Luv Co "Things Are Not The Same". Real nice Fingersnapper!

Always loved Millie Jackson's "Ask Me What You Want" - Superb Femme Midtempo!

Joe Simon - "Let Me Be The One Who Loves You" is an old Spring Spin of mine from Clifton Hall - Its a magnificent bouncy thing, similar to Phillip Mitchell's "I'm So Happy"

All Top Tips (IMO)

Sean Hampsey

Top shout Sean :lol:

Not trying to influence what you play next Saturday but leave Joe Simon at home & i'm sending you back for it :wicked:

Social source share

Nobody mentioned Flower Shoppe - You've Come A Long Way Baby, which was the second biggest record on the label northern wise. The biggest was undoubtedly My Man A Sweet Man by Millie Jackson. There's a nice double sider by Little Eva Harris, Get Ready / Mr. Everything.

Social source share

Thanks to all for the tips..

Will play thru the Spring stack tonight- hopefully pull out some others - Will attempt a discog if there isnt one about - Of course just seen the Kent Spring comp (shoulda looked there!) . .

Thanks to Dave F for the Act 1 LP tip -

Also am I right that Millies ' House For Sale ' didnt get a US Spring release but a UK one???? Bit of a mystery to me if it didn't.

DID GET A USA RELEASE WITH THE GREAT VERSION OF IVE GOT TO GET AWAY ON THE FLIP,WILL DIG IT OUT AND GIVE YOU THE NUMBER.

CHEERS BAZ A.

Cheers guys - keep em coming!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Cheers Baz :ohmy:

Must confess never seen a US 'House For Sale'...

A few more to add...

Millie Jackson - There You Are (Spring 164) - Yes Dave F - A right belter! Brilliant!

Joe Simon - I've Got A jones On You (Spring 178)

Joe Simon - Theme From Cleopatra Jones (Spring 138)

Joe Simon - I Found My Dad b/w Trouble In My Home ( Spring 130) - really like this one!

Cheers

Rich

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

got a few joe simons on spring lying about ...summin about a fire burning ..can't be arse looking for it but i like it

Social source share

Guest For Real

Cheers Baz :D

Must confess never seen a US 'House For Sale'...

A few more to add...

Millie Jackson - There You Are (Spring 164) - Yes Dave F - A right belter! Brilliant!

Joe Simon - I've Got A jones On You (Spring 178)

Joe Simon - Theme From Cleopatra Jones (Spring 138)

Joe Simon - I Found My Dad b/w Trouble In My Home ( Spring 130) - really like this one!

Cheers

Rich

I found my dad - good call, Rich. What an extraordinary lyric, brings a tear to the eye. Like 'I've got a Jones', too - worth playing very loud! Will now enjoy searching out some of these other Spring tips.

Mark

Social source share

I found my dad - good call, Rich. What an extraordinary lyric, brings a tear to the eye. Like 'I've got a Jones', too - worth playing very loud! Will now enjoy searching out some of these other Spring tips.

Mark

I FOUND MY DAD IS CLOSE TO PERFECTION, MIND BLOWING STUFF.

BAZ A.

Social source share

do you know Millie's " A child of god [ it's hard to believe ] " ?

Great tune! :rolleyes:

I have an EMPIRE RECORDING CORPORATION acetate with Millie Jackson which includes an early unissued demo version of "A Child Of God" (entitled "It's Hard To Believe (That He's A Child Of God)" on the label). It's a bit scruffy condition wise, but here's an MP3 if you're interested:

https://www.shingaling.com/acetates/MillieJ...rdToBelieve.mp3

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Just read this great thread :rolleyes:

Tons of great stuff i agree BUT I cannot believe that one particular Spring US 45 hasn't been mentioned......................and it's currently being played covered up by some wag!

For a bit of fun, gonna try and see if anyone can guess it before i reveal all BUT suffice to say it's a belting strings n things 70's dancer, covered up as (wait for it)...................

Essex IV - You got it.........................

There you go, enough clues, i'll reveal all in the next few days if no one gets it but i'm sure someone will add one and one and get two?????

Cheers

Steve

ps I believe the wag playing it has promised to play it at The Orwell this Friday :(

Social source share

I have an EMPIRE RECORDING CORPORATION acetate with Millie Jackson which includes an early unissued demo version of "A Child Of God" (entitled "It's Hard To Believe (That He's A Child Of God)" on the label). It's a bit scruffy condition wise, but here's an MP3 if you're interested:

https://www.shingaling.com/acetates/MillieJ...rdToBelieve.mp3

interested! great piece of soul Seb, cheers :rolleyes:

Social source share

For a bit of fun, gonna try and see if anyone can guess it before i reveal all BUT suffice to say it's a belting strings n things 70's dancer, covered up as (wait for it)...................

Cheers

Steve

ps I believe the wag playing it has promised to play it at The Orwell this Friday :lol:

Any chance of a sound bite to help us guess or am I missing obvious clues?

Social source share

Just read this great thread :lol:

Tons of great stuff i agree BUT I cannot believe that one particular Spring US 45 hasn't been mentioned......................and it's currently being played covered up by some wag!

There you go, enough clues, i'll reveal all in the next few days if no one gets it but i'm sure someone will add one and one and get two?????

Cheers

Steve

ps I believe the wag playing it has promised to play it at The Orwell this Friday :P

Arriight.. Stevie Baby........ 3 guesses!

Joneses?

Personal Touch?

Fatback Band???

Oh... and do they really play cover ups at the Orwell? :lol:

:P

Poser Man

Social source share

I cannot believe that one particular Spring US 45 hasn't been mentioned......................and it's currently being played covered up by some wag!

Street People?

Social source share

C'mon Steve!! :lol:

First thoughts were maybe a Fatback track lurking somewhere ( Their ' If You Could Turn Into Me ' is quite a nice slowie /ballad )

Street People ? Haven't seen one on Spring Sebastian - what number? Great group - have their Vigor 45s and LP

Am trying to put together a Spring discog - have most of the 100 series - still missing quite a few. Any one with a complete discog?

Baz - Any luck on that Millie - House For Sale US 45 - Still not seen one - !!

ATB

Rich

OK - just found a Spring 45 mentioned - I Wanna Get Over?

Rich

Social source share

Street People ? Haven't seen one on Spring Sebastian - what number? Great group - have their Vigor 45s and LP

Street People - Baby, You Got It All / I Wanna Get Over - SPRING 148

Great group indeed! Love their Vigor stuff. :lol: Actually, earlier today I picked up a copy of L.T.D.'s version of "Never Get Enough Of Your Love" on A&M. Not as good as Street People, but still decent.

Am trying to put together a Spring discog - have most of the 100 series - still missing quite a few. Any one with a complete discog?

Which numbers are you missing? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Social source share

C'mon Steve!! :lol:

First thoughts were maybe a Fatback track lurking somewhere ( Their ' If You Could Turn Into Me ' is quite a nice slowie /ballad )

Baz - Any luck on that Millie - House For Sale US 45 - Still not seen one - !!

ATB

Rich

OK - just found a Spring 45 mentioned - I Wanna Get Over?

Rich

HI RICH

I DEFINETLY HAVE IT ON USA ISSUE AS I CAN REMEBER THE FLIP HAS A VERSION OF THE RAY GODFREY GOTTA GET AWAY TRACK AND ITS A GOOD VERSION,STILL LOOKING GOT OVER 5500 RECORDS SO IT COULD BE ANYWHERE INCLUDING THE GARAGE,WILL LET YOU KNOW MATE.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Here's the missing 100-series info that I can help with:

102: Don Williams & Exchange - Soul Meeting / Time

177: Fatback Band - Master Booty / Zodiac Man

180: Fatback Band - Mile High / Midnight Freak

181: Fatback Band - I Like Girls / Get Out On The Dance Floor

182: Eddie Mcloyd - Baby, Get Down / Once You Fall In Love

183: Paul Evans - Hello, This Joanie / Lullaby Tissue Paper Company

186: Mike Douglas - Let's Be Lovers Again / Alone At The End Of The Rainbow

187: Paul Evans - Down At The Bluebird / I'm Givin' Up My Baby

188: Fatback Band - Boogie Freak / I'm Fired Up

196: Renee Pryor - Broadway / You Want My Love

As far as the series goes:

701-705 (?-1970)

101-199 (1970-1979)

3001-3041 (1979-1984)

There's a late 50s label called Spring as well.

Social source share

Street People - Baby, You Got It All / I Wanna Get Over - SPRING 148

Waaahaayyyyyyy

Well done Seb :lol:

'Baby you got it all' is the said track - The first 45 by Street People before their Vigor stuff BOTH sides are written by Ray Dahrouge........in fact you can almost sing 'I can see him making love to you baby' to the other side 'I wanna get over'

'Baby you got it all' is only on the issue copy as the white demo's are double sided mono/stereo copies of 'I wanna get over'

Some got close, others were miles away but Seb nailed it!

btw It's a fabulous strings n things 70's dancer and can also be found on the first ever Spring CD put out by Southbound (i think) in the mid 90's. Did you have a hand in that one Adey?

The 45 is a tad tricky to find though :lol:

There you go, mystery solved and another cover-up ticked off :P

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Cheers guys! :lol:

Getting there!! Some B Sides to fill in (Will hunt these down)

So we're left with:

143 / 150 / 153 / 154 / 193

I know there's the Joneses - Love Contest b/w Baby There's Nothing You Can Do - Number anyone?

Personal Touch number?

And 703 in the 700 series.....

Not started on the 3000 series as yet - if anyone wants the list will mail or post?

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Arriight.. Stevie Baby........ 3 guesses!

Joneses?

Personal Touch?

Fatback Band???

Oh... and do they really play cover ups at the Orwell? :lol:

:P

Poser Man

Hi Poser Man

'Ray & Dave' mate (Wrong wrong wrong :P )

See my last reply

Think this is one of the last remaining c/u's we've bin playing at Th'Orwell that we haven't uncovered - all ends up being revealed in the end as it's only a bit of fun :lol:

(let's not get into the c/u debate again everyone, please!)

Flanny still has that 'Pioneers' c/u but it's a pile of pants anyway :yes::lol::lol:

Take care

Steve

Social source share

So we're left with:

143 / 150 / 153 / 154 / 193

193: Paul Evans - Disneyland Daddy / Build An Ark

I know there's the Joneses - Love Contest b/w Baby There's Nothing You Can Do - Number anyone?

3004: Joneses - Love Contest / Baby

And 703 in the 700 series.....

703: Smubbs - Her Love / It Can't Be Too Late

Not started on the 3000 series as yet
I have all of that info if you need it, don't have time to type it out anytime soon though. But, just don't break your back while collecting it.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert