John Manships Auction

SteveM

• Replies 72
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know its been done several times before, but can somebody please post up the link to the closing prices on Johns auctions please.

And I'll remember to save it to favourites I promise.

Thanks

Steve

Anybody ?

:boxing:

Shane, looks like you were right. Everybody does hate me whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Anybody ?

:lol:

Shane, looks like you were right. Everybody does hate me :boxing:

i heard a lot of people use the 'blocker' which won't allow them to read your posts whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

Jerry Washington - Don't Waste My Time – Glades £543

Donna Colman - Your Loves Too Strong – Avin £386

Cashmeres - Show Stopper c/w Don't Let The door Hit Your Back – Hem £1929

La Reine La Mar - That's Not The Way To Love – Cloud £288

Emanuel Laskey - I'd Rather Leave on My Feet – DT £302

Tobi Legend - Time Will Pas You By - Mala Promo £410

Gail Anderson - Be Proud (You're In Love) c/w Let's Fall In Love All Over – Salvador £122

Flight - Playing Your Games – SGA £346

Soul Bros. Inc - Pyramid - Golden Eye £559

Bobby Paris - I Walked Away – Capitol £190

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling (I need you) - Tamla Motown Promo £124

John & the Wierdest - Can't Get Over These Memories c/w No Time – Tie £2666

Social source share

Awwww...... :boxing:

https://www.raresoulforum.co.uk/jm_auction.php

Now bookmark it or else.. :lol:

ps does anyone else have a problem with this link in that finished items come up with a bit saying "sorry you didn't win the item" and you can't actually see the finishing price?! :lol:

You should have two slide bars on the right hand side of the page use them to bring the page up to see the end price smile.gif

Dave f.........

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Dave ,mine just shows the auction ended and doesnt give you final selling prices?? :yes:

i use firefox and it shows up finishing price , maybe a prob with IE?

yep , checked with IE and it doesn't show , so there lies yer problems folks

Social source share

Cashmeres - Show Stopper c/w Don't Let The door Hit Your Back - Hem £1929

i know this is pointless, and i've always said records are only worth what you want to pay for them, and there are no set in stone prices, and calling people mad cos they spend x on a record is unfair, and this is a quality double sider etc etc...

but f*** me :wicked: x1929

Social source share

i know this is pointless, and i've always said records are only worth what you want to pay for them, and there are no set in stone prices, and calling people mad cos they spend x on a record is unfair, and this is a quality double sider etc etc...

but f*** me :ohmy: x1929

That one also sprung off the page as it regularly goes on ebay for between 500 and 1000 dollars...f*cking great record though, don't think I'd pay more than 500 quid for it

Social source share

It seems to me that people often choose to be somewhat biased about where they think prices of certain top records OUGHT to be.

Look at the trend in values of some big records which have recently sold on JM's auction:

Lillie Bryant: Top 500 price (2000) = £500; JM2 (2003) = £1,000; recent JM auction = £2,200+

Salvadors: Top 500 price = £800; JM2 = £1,500; recent JM auction = £3,300+

John & Wierdest: Top 500 price = £1,000; JM2 = £1,300; recent JM auction = £2,600+

Cashmeres: Top 500 price = £1,000; JM2 = £1,300; recent JM auction = £1,900+

Both Lillie Bryant and the Salvadors DOUBLED in price in the first 3 years, and had QUADRUPLED by the next 3 years.

John & Wierdest is just over 2.5 times greater. Whereas the Cashmeres is LESS than twice the price over the six year period.

All of these records had become top sounds and very in-demand long before, so no change on that score.

By my maths that makes the Cashmeres seem like a bargain!! Unless of course there have been more 'rumours' which I haven't yet heard about!?!?

OK, so you might have seen the Cashmeres on e-bay at some point for $1,000, but I tell you what - if anybody has any more of their Show Stoppers in almost mint condition (which the one on auction was) for £500 I will buy up to TEN of them.

This is a genuine offer - feel free to PM me!

Peter

Social source share

It seems to me that people often choose to be somewhat biased about where they think prices of certain top records OUGHT to be.

Look at the trend in values of some big records which have recently sold on JM's auction:

Lillie Bryant: Top 500 price (2000) = £500; JM2 (2003) = £1,000; recent JM auction = £2,200+

John & Wierdest: Top 500 price = £1,000; JM2 = £1,300; recent JM auction = £2,600+

Both Lillie Bryant and the Salvadors DOUBLED in price in the first 3 years, and had QUADRUPLED by the next 3 years.

John & Wierdest is just over 2.5 times greater. Whereas the Cashmeres is LESS than twice the price over the six year period.

All of these records had become top sounds and very in-demand long before, so no change on that score.

By my maths that makes the Cashmeres seem like a bargain!! Unless of course there have been more 'rumours' which I haven't yet heard about!?!?

OK, so you might have seen the Cashmeres on e-bay at some point for $1,000, but I tell you what - if anybody has any more of their Show Stoppers in almost mint condition (which the one on auction was) for £500 I will buy up to TEN of them.

Peter

Well said Peter - a lot of people like to imply that they are 'wise owls' who never pay above the odds. I've noticed a few 70s-80s records making big prices on JM and EBay for the winning prices to be scorned on the boards. Try getting the same record in the same condition and you never do. This is a rare soul scene and I suspect prices like books, art and antiques the prices will grow for good sounds, whose authenticity can be proved.

Social source share

Peter

Nobodys saying they've got them at 500, I said I wouldn't pay more than 500 because of the amount of copies there are around and also because I don't want to pay more than 500. If you think 1900 quid is a bargain then you've obviously got more money than sense.

Social source share

Funny that? I could have sworn somebody said they REGULARLY sell for between $500 and $1,000.

That's approximately £300-600.

So, the TOP END going rate is apparently £600.

As I haven't had any PMs yet, I should obviously stop being so mean! OK then, I'll buy up to ten in vitually mint condition for £650 each.

Form an orderly queue now please folks!!!!

Peter

Social source share

Nobodys saying they've got them at 500, I said I wouldn't pay more than 500 because of the amount of copies there are around and also because I don't want to pay more than 500. If you think 1900 quid is a bargain then you've obviously got more money than sense.

I agree with you Pete, in fact I wouldn't pay £500 for it :yes: didn't a box load turn up? Tool much money IMHO if willing to pay £1900 for Cashmeres :yes: As for e-bay one went for $2000 if I remember rightly. Find it harder to find some £50 records than you do the Cashmeres and others like Bill Bush, another that seemed to be a constant fixture on e-bay etc etc.....

Social source share

you would also think that the more copies that turn up the price would come down but the opposite seems to be the case for some records :yes:

Should ave got this when it was a hundred and fifty quid. :yes::yes::(

all it's worth now IMO :yes: seems to be one for sale somewhere every week :yes:

Social source share

1) Pete-S Posted Yesterday, 06:28 PM

That one also sprung off the page as it regularly goes on ebay for between 500 and 1000 dollars

2) Pete-S Posted Today, 06:15 PM

Nobodys saying they've got them at 500

3) Pete-S Posted Today, 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Jul 22 2006, 06:59 PM)

'Funny that? I could have sworn somebody said they REGULARLY sell for between $500 and $1,000.'

They do.

?????

Make up your mind Pete ..... are they regularly selling at $500 or not?

Let me know if they are ... I'll have TWENTY FIVE at around £300 each!!!

Peter

Social source share

1) Pete-S Posted Yesterday, 06:28 PM

That one also sprung off the page as it regularly goes on ebay for between 500 and 1000 dollars

2) Pete-S Posted Today, 06:15 PM

Nobodys saying they've got them at 500

3) Pete-S Posted Today, 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Jul 22 2006, 06:59 PM)

'Funny that? I could have sworn somebody said they REGULARLY sell for between $500 and $1,000.'

They do.

?????

Make up your mind Pete ..... are they regularly selling at $500 or not?

Let me know if they are ... I'll have TWENTY FIVE at around £300 each!!!

Peter

You're making a show of yourself trying to be clever. Nobody has got QUANTITY of them but they regularly sell on Ebay for between 500 and 1000 dollars and have done in the 6 or 7 years I've been using Ebay. 500 would be a below average condition copy but it's a fact. A copy will turn up almost every month. That does not make it a rare record. That Mr Lucky record I sold for 2500 earlier this year, whats that, a five known copy record? Yet the Cashmeres is worth only 500 quid less despite their being a couple of hundred copies in the UK?

Now you've got Chalky also telling you it's not that rare so try taking the piss out of him.

Social source share

Pete-S Posted Today, 08:34 PM

You're making a show of yourself trying to be clever. Nobody has got QUANTITY of them but they regularly sell on Ebay for between 500 and 1000 dollars and have done in the 6 or 7 years I've been using Ebay. 500 would be a below average condition copy but it's a fact. A copy will turn up almost every month. That does not make it a rare record. That Mr Lucky record I sold for 2500 earlier this year, whats that, a five known copy record? Yet the Cashmeres is worth only 500 quid less despite their being a couple of hundred copies in the UK?

Now you've got Chalky also telling you it's not that rare so try taking the piss out of him.

It's perfectly reasonable to point it out when people are contradicting themselves in the process of being tendentious.

I refer to greater experts than me:

Tim Brown in his guide (late 2004) lists the Cashmeres on Hem at £1,500;

John Manship in his recent 'Million Dollars ...' book estimates the rarity at 50 copies or less.

Plus, rarity alone does not equate to price - you as a record dealer ought to realize this.

And now YOU'VE got Soulfulsaint also telling you that certain record values are regularly understated on this forum, by people who should know better!

Not 'taking the piss' ... this is REASONED argument, based on respected sources.

Peter

Social source share

It's perfectly reasonable to point it out when people are contradicting themselves in the process of being tendentious.

John Manship in his recent 'Million Dollars ...' book estimates the rarity at 50 copies or less.

Plus, rarity alone does not equate to price - you as a record dealer ought to realize this.

And now YOU'VE got Soulfulsaint also telling you that certain record values are regularly understated on this forum, by people who should know better!

Not 'taking the piss' ... this is REASONED argument, based on respected sources.

Peter

This is a good debate which will get lost in this thread. Paying over the top for a record is one of those perennial subjects that fascinates collectors so I'm starting it as a new thread. Then I'm off to Caldedonia for some soul....Keep the debate going in the new thread.

Social source share

Peter

Since 2004 the Cashmeres on ebay was selling for between $835 and as high as $2150 which was a tad ott IMHO, on average the record was selling for around $1500, give or take a bit half what Tim valued it at in his guide, which is after all a guide. That btw is for copies that popsike have picked up on, know there has been more than the copies stated.

50 copies only, I bet there's been almost that up for sale via auctions, lists and sales boxes at venues the past few years, have seen it for sale often enough :yes: was also told one seller on e-bay had multiple copies, rumour or fact dunno?

as for the understating of values by those who should know better, give us some examples? the so called understatement could after all be just a honest opinion, maybe the last value the one who should know better saw a record sold for?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

chalky Posted Today, 09:35 PM

Since 2004 the Cashmeres on ebay was selling for between $835 and as high as $2150 which was a tad ott IMHO, on average the record was selling for around $1500, give or take a bit half what Tim valued it at in his guide, which is after all a guide. That btw is for copies that popsike have picked up on, know there has been more than the copies stated.

50 copies only, I bet there's been almost that up for sale via auctions, lists and sales boxes at venues the past few years, have seen it for sale often enough was also told one seller on e-bay had multiple copies, rumour or fact dunno?

as for the understating of values by those who should know better, give us some examples? the so called understatement could after all be just a honest opinion, maybe the last value the one who should know better saw a record sold for?

----------------------------------

These are interesting points Chalky; and of course condition, the number of people looking to buy (and the strength of their demand (and wallet!) at any given time), and indeed how many new copies have turned up, all play their part.

The other thing we don't know is whether the same copies of a record are being re-sold!

Even the respected record dealers of 30+ years standing are only estimating the number of copies, except in the cases where only very few have ever been found and are well documented (such as Mello Souls, Inspirations on Breakthrough, Don Gardner 'Cheating Kind', the really rare stuff on Shrine etc.), or where hundreds have been seen at the same time (such as Frankie Beverly on Sassy or Epitome of Sound) in which case 'rarity' doesn't really come into it.

Peter

[i shall now copy this post to add to the thread started by Soulfulsaint]

Social source share

Awwww...... :yes:

https://www.raresoulforum.co.uk/jm_auction.php

Now bookmark it or else.. :yes:

ps does anyone else have a problem with this link in that finished items come up with a bit saying "sorry you didn't win the item" and you can't actually see the finishing price?! :yes:

Very good point, we shall try to ensure bidders know what the final price is on their auto e-mail replay.. not a problem unless my website designers say it's silly money to do. I'll pass this e-mail on on Monday.

Social source share

"That Mr Lucky record I sold for £2500 earlier this year, whats that, a five known copy record?"

I think you've missed something here MR LUCKY you sold was in CAR BOOT condition wasn't it cracked? certainly VG- the last time i saw it?

Jesus, CONDITION IS EVERYTHING...if I tried to auction CASHMERES in the same condition of Mr. Lucky, i'd be lucky to get £300. I would probably sell it on the drop-down auction for £250 to £350. I can in fact possibly prove that point next week as have a really shite copy in the pipeline.

Condition, condition, condition ?? Don't you ever consider the most important factor of selling ANY collectable is the condition, next demand, lastly rarity.

Social source share

"That Mr Lucky record I sold for £2500 earlier this year, whats that, a five known copy record?"

I think you've missed something here MR LUCKY you sold was in CAR BOOT condition wasn't it cracked? certainly VG- the last time i saw it?

Jesus, CONDITION IS EVERYTHING...if I tried to auction CASHMERES in the same condition of Mr. Lucky, i'd be lucky to get £300. I would probably sell it on the drop-down auction for £250 to £350. I can in fact possibly prove that point next week as have a really shite copy in the pipeline.

Condition, condition, condition ?? Don't you ever consider the most important factor of selling ANY collectable is the condition, next demand, lastly rarity.

I aree with what you are saying but you must be stunned by some of the prices your auctions achieve at times. Especially with the not rare - but indemand 70's items.

Derek

Social source share

chalky Posted Today, 09:35 PM

"50 copies only, I bet there's been almost that up for sale via auctions, lists and sales boxes at venues the past few years, have seen it for sale often enough was also told one seller on e-bay had multiple copies, rumour or fact dunno? "

"50 copies only" uum good point!!

I know a dealer who certainly had 300+ in 1976 but doesn't really know what happened to them. But in this country nice clean copies of an auctionable condition is maybe around 50 but that is ONLY a guess based on the copies I've had through my hands over the years.

But three we've auctioned in recent times TWO were the same copy.

Like the Lillie Bryant on the auction now and The Jackie Day about to be added in the next two weeks are copies auctioned by us and won by a high-profile collector DJ 4 years ago. So it doesn't mean more copies have turned up, it means there's a copy available, again. Because he would rather buy other titles with the proceeds.

As for rumours can't hardly think of a rare record that these pages hasn't said there's quantity turned up. Wonder what the next desirable "rare" title will be to labeled with the "Too expensive there's quantity" or the now more favoured "Have you heard the rumour"

I've said it before, but i'll say it again: a collectors scene of 30,000+ , is stronger and bigger than the unfounded rumours, small quantity finds or regular listings of rare 45s.

Perhaps a more positive tread would be there's loads of them but it is still worth a bomb!

I'll start it with three suggestions Gerri Hall, Soul Brothers Inc - pyramid, Jock Mitchell - Impact.

Social source share

Some good points there John. People sometimes 'forget' to consider the broader picture.

A couple of records still worth a bomb:

Mikki Farrow - Set My Heart At Ease; was regularly on Soul Bowl during the late 1970s for £6.

Masqueraders - How; again, was on Soul Bowl for £2.50, and everyone says there are loads of copies. Funny how it never comes up for sale though, and is now a solid £1,000 record.

Peter

Social source share

Some good points there John. People sometimes 'forget' to consider the broader picture.

Mikki Farrow - Set My Heart At Ease; was regularly on Soul Bowl during the late 1970s for £6.

Masqueraders - How; again, was on Soul Bowl for £2.50, and everyone says there are loads of copies. Funny how it never comes up for sale though, and is now a solid £1,000 record.

Peter

"Mikki Farrow - Set My Heart At Ease - was regularly on Soul Bowl during the late 1970s for £6"

Pete, remember those naughty counterfeits. I think the REAL DEAL Mikki Farrow is rare..

And the copy I bought for a "sick-squid" in the 70s was certainly not the real deal.

Social source share

Perhaps a more positive tread would be there's loads of them but it is still worth a bomb!

I'll start it with three suggestions Gerri Hall, Soul Brothers Inc - pyramid, Jock Mitchell - Impact.

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

No sorry John you are wrong this time, if that was the case, that Walter & Admirations would have sold for 10 quid last month, that sold because of 1) rarity, 2) demand and then 3) condition.

I don't know what it is about this forum but every time you and I meet up or speak on the phone we always seem to get along like a house on fire yet on here it's pistols at dawn all the time!

Social source share

Peter

I'm sorry to pick on this post but I think there are too many posts on this forum in the vein of " it can't be worth that cos I paid sixpence for it in 197X".

What does it matter what records cost in the 70's? How does that relate to the value today in any other way than a comparison? It's just the same as ".. fish and chips on the way home for thruppence" stories.

As I said on another thread, the Masqueraders doesn't come up because people don't want to sell it, same as the Ringleaders, same as Jock Mitchell, etc etc. Price is due to demand and occasionally rarity and what's wrong with that?

In my experience, price and rarity don't necessarily go hand in hand. Records sell for the prices they do because people are willing to pay those prices and good luck to them. To say that those people are fools and/or the record isn't worth that much is just conjecture, the record is obviously worth that much to them.

I have valuable records that are worth 3 or 4 times what I paid for them and I've only been collecting since 1998, but I wouldn't sell them so that makes them more difficult to obtain. I don't think The Masqueraders is a "solid 1000 pound record", I think 300 is a more accurate price but having said that I doubt I'll get a copy for 300 at the moment but then again I'm not looking for a copy, that is record collecting isn't it?

Social source share

As I said on another thread, the Masqueraders doesn't come up because people don't want to sell it, same as the Ringleaders, same as Jock Mitchell, etc etc. Price is due to demand and occasionally rarity and what's wrong with that?

but the Ringleaders does come up for sale, practically every week some place or other. It's well documented John Anderson had a massive hit with this title, it was also a hit locally around Chicago with 1000's sold so why still around £400 when £50 IMO would be nearer the mark :yes:

Social source share

but the Ringleaders does come up for sale, practically every week some place or other. It's well documented John Anderson had a massive hit with this title, it was also a hit locally around Chicago with 1000's sold so why still around £400 when £50 IMO would be nearer the mark :yes:

Too right, you see more of these than some of the 'book value' 50 quiders :P

Edited by Baz
Social source share

100 - 125 is a fair price for this - same with John Bowie

Social source share

paultp Posted Today, 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Jul 23 2006, 10:50 AM)

Peter

I'm sorry to pick on this post but I think there are too many posts on this forum in the vein of " it can't be worth that cos I paid sixpence for it in 197X".

------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul, you have completely missed the point of my post.

John asked us to post examples of records where: 'there's loads of them but it is still worth a bomb!'

I was NOT saying the Mikki Farrow or the Masqueraders were not worth their current values. Quite the contrary. Their going rates are high, but rightly so because they are fantastic records and nobody wants to part with them (supply and demand and all that ...).

I gave examples of their extensiveness on early lists to illustrate that there may be quite a few around. I am NOT suggesting that these (or any other) records should still be sold at their 1970s prices.

Following my post you will also see that, in his reply, John thinks I may have underestimated the rarity of the Mikki Farrow, as counterfeits may have been sold as originals. I am sure this is true, but I would not for a moment suggest that any of those came from John Anderson at Soul Bowl.

Hope this clears that up.

Cheers,

Peter

Social source share

paultp Posted Today, 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Jul 23 2006, 10:50 AM)

Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul, you have completely missed the point of my post.

I don't think I did really, I was just making a different point and used your post to reply to, which is what I said in the first paragraph.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert