Another Record Theft Comes To Light

I really don't know where to start with this one. A couple of years back, I had two records lifted from my sales box. They were never recovered but the offers of help etc were overwhelming at the time.

I'm gutted that I'm here again on the same subject.

I have noticed - only in the past few days - that my copy of King Earnest "You Gonna Miss Me" on the Sonic label has almost certainly been stolen.

I have racked my brains and as I think about it, I realise that it is maybe a month or so (maybe more) since I actually remember seeing it. It's at least that long since I played it out anywhere.

The better organised of you will probably laugh at my not having spotted this before. The thing is, I find that I am reminded of records (certainly in my play box) only when I specifically look for them or am asked for them. In this instance, a record that I habitually carry around with me has 'slipped under the radar' owing to my not having played it out for a while.

Now here's the best bit!

In this instance, I actually think I know who may have stolen the record. What I don't have is any evidence at this point in time.

So, I'm asking all you Soul Sourcers and others that you know around the scene if anybody knows of anyone buying this 45 recently or anybody who has offered it for sale (maybe uncertain of a price for it) or even offered it for trades.

What I am trying to establish is whether the person I suspect of stealing it, has had this 45 in his posession, or offered it for sale / trades. Whoever has bought the 45 (if it has been sold at all) has obviously done so without realising it's possible source. My objective here is to try to connect my record to the individual that I suspect of stealing it, and I can then take it up with him (the thief) personally.

Any info that is either PM'd or emailed to me will be treated in the strictest of confidence and, I repeat, I ain't looking for redress from the buyer if it has been sold on. I am seeking to get a grip of the thieving low-life who stole my record and nail his pelt to the nearest tree.

I am still in the process of trying to establish whether any others are missing and am being doubly thorough - checking for double sleeved 45s etc and I will update this thread if anything else comes to light.

In the mean time, if anybody can help, I would be eternally grateful.

For what it's worth, there are very few records that I can personally hang my hat on but was over the moon when Tim Brown credited me on the All Niter 5 compilation with introducing this record around the NW and its one of those daft things that I was really proud of. If I can be reunited with the record I'd be delighted. If I can nail the thief who I believe has taken it - all the better, for me and the scene as a whole.

Thanks in the hope of some light being shed on this,

Neil Jones

Edited by burysoul
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I really don't know where to start with this one. A couple of years back, I had two records lifted from my sales box. They were never recovered but the offers of help etc were overwhelming at the time.

Good luck this time Neil. I've had record's stolen in the past by northern soul(so-called) brother's/sister's so I know it don't feel good.

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

I have noticed - only in the past few days - that my copy of King Earnest "You Gonna Miss Me" on the Sonic label has almost certainly been stolen.

I have racked my brains and as I think about it, I realise that it is maybe a month or so (maybe more) since I actually remember seeing it. It's at least that long since I played it out anywhere.

The better organised of you will probably laugh at my not having spotted this before. The thing is, I find that I am reminded of records (certainly in my play box) only when I specifically look for them or am asked for them. In this instance, a record that I habitually carry around with me has 'slipped under the radar' owing to my not having played it out for a while.

Now here's the best bit!

In this instance, I actually think I know who may have stolen the record. What I don't have is any evidence at this point in time.

So, I'm asking all you Soul Sourcers and others that you know around the scene if anybody knows of anyone buying this 45 recently or anybody who has offered it for sale (maybe uncertain of a price for it) or even offered it for trades.

What I am trying to establish is whether the person I suspect of stealing it, has had this 45 in his posession, or offered it for sale / trades. Whoever has bought the 45 (if it has been sold at all) has obviously done so without realising it's possible source. My objective here is to try to connect my record to the individual that I suspect of stealing it, and I can then take it up with him (the thief) personally.

Any info that is either PM'd or emailed to me will be treated in the strictest of confidence and, I repeat, I ain't looking for redress from the buyer if it has been sold on. I am seeking to get a grip of the thieving low-life who stole my record and nail his pelt to the nearest tree.

I am still in the process of trying to establish whether any others are missing and am being doubly thorough - checking for double sleeved 45s etc and I will update this thread if anything else comes to light.

For what it's worth, there are very few records that I can personally hang my hat on but was over the moon when Tim Brown credited me on the All Niter 5 compilation with introducing this record around the NW and its one of those daft things that I was really proud of. If I can be reunited with the record I'd be delighted. If I can nail the thief who I believe has taken it - all the better, for me and the scene as a whole.

Neil Jones

Neil, i was with you the night the others went mate and i know how you feel, had it happen to me a couple of times over the years and it hurts, thing is if someone wanted a tune off me and was skint i'd fucking give it to them and pay me when you have the money kind if ethic, if i hear anything i'll be on the phone mate will also mantion this on my show over the next couple of weeks also can i join you if you find out who it is but i bet there will be a number of people in front of me to hold the bastard down.

Chin up mate, Coxy might be up Friday so we may end up at Bury...i'll get the beers in.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Neil, i was with you the night the others went mate and i know how you feel, had it happen to me a couple of times over the years and it hurts, thing is if someone wanted a tune off me and was skint i'd fucking give it to them and pay me when you have the money kind if ethic, if i hear anything i'll be on the phone mate will also mantion this on my show over the next couple of weeks also can i join you if you find out who it is but i bet there will be a number of people in front of me to hold the bastard down.

Chin up mate, Coxy might be up Friday so we may end up at Bury...i'll get the beers in.

Mark Bicknell.

Cheers Mark,

It does hurt like hell. I'm really really gutted. Do you know, a lad I haven't known for too long was interested in one of my sales Saturday night at Middleton. I haven't known the guy long but - well you know when someone is 'one of us' and is completely trustworthy. Well this was case in point. He was really keen to get hold of the 45 and was a couple of weeks away from the £100 for the 45. So I says, "you got my address mate, send the money when you get paid" and I let him take the record.

I've given away many many records to people who I know are really looking for it and I get a pleasure out of doing that, and - likewise - those people have returned the favour in some way shape or form.

That is as much as anything else what this scene is all about. I'll tell you more when I see you Friday Mark - but prepared to be shocked when I tell you more!

Thanks again mate and make sure Coxy brings his drinking trousers with him!!! Bury Town Hall now sells Warsteiner - "the fastest way to tomorrow in a glass!!!!" :yes:

Neil

Social source share

One of the more unsavoury aspects of the scene rears it's head once again! :yes:

Makes you wonder why it's worth dragging your records out, to have some light-fingered scum bag wait for for you to turn your back and help themselves.

Hope you get your record back, then name the offender so others can be aware !

Social source share

Now here's the best bit!

Neil Jones

Sorry to "have to" read of this Neil blush.gif .... AGAIN in your case mate :yes: ....

Hope you get it "sorted" as you'd "want it to be sorted".... if you know what I mean :thumbsup: ....

Soulfully Mark (Ponds Forge, Sheffield) :yes: ....

Social source share

One of the more unsavoury aspects of the scene rears it's head once again! :yes:

Makes you wonder why it's worth dragging your records out, to have some light-fingered scum bag wait for for you to turn your back and help themselves.

Hope you get your record back, then name the offender so others can be aware !

You can be absolutely assured that I will have the name of the person plastered in every venue across the UK if I can nail him - NO MERCY!

Cheers for your reply,

Neil

Social source share

Sorry to "have to" read of this Neil blush.gif .... AGAIN in your case mate :yes: ....

Hope you get it "sorted" as you'd "want it to be sorted".... if you know what I mean :thumbsup: ....

Soulfully Mark (Ponds Forge, Sheffield) :yes: ....

Hi Mark and thanks for your kind words. I'll be keeping EVERYONE informed of my progress with this one - I intend to make sure that this bloke will feel sick at the thought of just hearing a Soul record if I can nail him.

In case anyones wondering, he aint on SS and isnt at all likely to be. Nor is he at all likely to be tipped off about my search.

Cheers again Mark - Neil

Social source share

Hope you get all the evidence you need to run this low life tw+t off the scene for good, I am sick & tired of scum helping themselves to vinyl on this scene yes.gif:yes::thumbsup:

Hiya mate,

Believe me, I'm a hairs breadth away from this person and if I get a single mention of his name in any feedback at all, I will be going as far as necessary - on behalf of us all - to make sure we can all rest a little easier around our record boxes.

Thanks for replying,

Neil

Social source share

Hiya mate,

Believe me, I'm a hairs breadth away from this person and if I get a single mention of his name in any feedback at all, I will be going as far as necessary - on behalf of us all - to make sure we can all rest a little easier around our record boxes.

Thanks for replying,

Neil

Ok it's dark but i've just been in my shed and found four six inch rusty big thick f*** off nails and a club hammer.......all we need now is a tree...over to you Neil.

Regards - very angry and pissed off for my mate Neil and the scene.

Social source share

This is absolutely disgraceful :thumbsup:

Had a conversation with another SS member the other day about his records "being taken out to sell for him" and the Bas...rd tried to keep money back and records that weren't sold - what on earth do these people think they're going to achieve - obviously want a short life on the soul scene for a starter :angry:

Neil, I hope you get your record back and moreso hope that you get the twat for doing this and definitely name and shame him (i presume it's a he!) on here. He won't be able to do it again will he cos I hope he'll be banned from venues :yes:

Social source share

Bumping this today as I want to thank everyone who has posted or PMd me so far - thanks all, it means a lot.

Hopefully I can get to the root of this and be assured, if I do, name and picture will be posted on here for use by every promoter who would enjoy the pleasure of barring a record thief for life!!

Neil

Social source share

What can I say? On this occasion, the trauma has a happy ending.

The record was left at the house of a good friend of mine a while back and stored away with their own records for safe keeping. My initial fear that a certain person had nicked it was, on this occasion, unfounded.

However, for anyone who may think I was hasty in posting on here; the person I suspected was, only a few weeks ago caught - bang to rights - stealing records from a mate of his.

The same person (someone who, until recently, I classed as a mate) had had plenty of opportunity to nick this or any othe record from me as he was a regular visitor both to my house and up and around the decks when I DJd on many occasions.

He is already barred from my events at Bury and I have already told several promoters and record dealers to be aware of his recent activities. As a result, I know that he is already barred from several other major promoters events around the country.

He has basically 'gone to ground' and is very unlikely to show his face in any venue again.

If anybody out there want more details, especially promoters etc, just PM me and I will give you all the detail you need.

I can only thank everyone who has PMd me or replied to my posting with words of support and offers of help. I'm pleased that the outcome is a good one, just sorry for setting hares running with everyone a bit too quickly.

ATB,

Neil Jones

Social source share

What can I say? On this occasion, the trauma has a happy ending.

The record was left at the house of a good friend of mine a while back and stored away with their own records for safe keeping. My initial fear that a certain person had nicked it was, on this occasion, unfounded.

However, for anyone who may think I was hasty in posting on here; the person I suspected was, only a few weeks ago caught - bang to rights - stealing records from a mate of his.

The same person (someone who, until recently, I classed as a mate) had had plenty of opportunity to nick this or any othe record from me as he was a regular visitor both to my house and up and around the decks when I DJd on many occasions.

He is already barred from my events at Bury and I have already told several promoters and record dealers to be aware of his recent activities. As a result, I know that he is already barred from several other major promoters events around the country.

He has basically 'gone to ground' and is very unlikely to show his face in any venue again.

If anybody out there want more details, especially promoters etc, just PM me and I will give you all the detail you need.

I can only thank everyone who has PMd me or replied to my posting with words of support and offers of help. I'm pleased that the outcome is a good one, just sorry for setting hares running with everyone a bit too quickly.

ATB,

Neil Jones

So pardner......... no varmit lynchin t'day then? whistling.gif

Social source share