Margerate Little Acetate On Ebay

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert BUT... I'd always be wary of an acetate which was conveniently unplayable on one side. Anyone could find some rubbish 60s country and western single sided acetate, cut a rare soul track on the blank side, mangle up the original track and "voila!" - original 60s soul acetate. I never really understand how an acetate would have NO information written on it either. Surely you'd write the song name on it, at least?

Plus, if you were making a display in a store, why would you glue a record with a BLANK label up? Would you not use an old Motown single, or something with a bright label? 

And, Why was it found in Ohio???

There you go, my tuppence worth from a paranoid pessimistic cynic with a devious mind... 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert BUT... I'd always be wary of an acetate which was conveniently unplayable on one side. Anyone could find some rubbish 60s country and western single sided acetate, cut a rare soul track on the blank side, mangle up the original track and "voila!" - original 60s soul acetate. I never really understand how an acetate would have NO information written on it either. Surely you'd write the song name on it, at least?

Plus, if you were making a display in a store, why would you glue a record with a BLANK label up? Would you not use an old Motown single, or something with a bright label? 

There you go, my tuppence worth from a paranoid pessimistic cynic with a devious mind... 

Starting bid $9.99.

First bid $502.

Second bid $511.

Third bid $521.

First bidder must have thought they were safe with their max bid, but bidder number two has blown them out of the water. Now bidder 3 - someone with just five feedback - has just come in with an even higher price. 

Looks like this one could be a fight to the financial death…  

Social source share

a record can be found anywhere.

if it's regular elmer's glue (likely) it can be removed with water without damaging the nitrocellulose layer. Of course it's already damaged but someone could at least drop the needle on it.

Social source share

The seller said Ohio/Indiana. NW Ohio and NE Indiana border Michigan and are only 40-50 miles from Detroit.

You could play about 60% of the B side. Just use a crap needle and put it on the playable part as its moving. It will play a bit of the song before the needle is bumped off groove. You should be able to tell if it's the same song as the ML 45 flip. I did this for a 45 that had about 1/4 gone because of the crack and I was able to figure out its a crap c/w record.

Edited by George G
Social source share

Strangely the B-side is unplayable, nothing write on labels, bad condition, nice good acetate sleeve,  listed as "Northern Soul"... maybe I'm wrong, or too suspicious but it's... too good to be true (as would say The Traits)

Social source share

if I was trying to pass off a fake Margaret Little acetate I would definitely list it as Unknown Artist Northern Soul Acetate/Test Press RARE! 

:glare:

i get the point, but playing dumb assuming people will find it anyways is a possible sales tactic

EDIT: not that the seller is necessarily doing that here

Edited by boba
Social source share

The guy hasn't sold one northern soul record so how could he assume this is rare an then carry on to describe it as northern soul and rare,idiots will do watever bidding wise

he sold a few soul records on ebay and any acetate is rare. He hasn't sold that many records at all on ebay and every random seller calls every obscure soul 45 "northern soul." He might even know more about "northern soul" than that, maybe he goes to his local "northern soul" night every month. I think you're reading too much negative intentionality into a short sales post.

Anyways, he added audio of the b-side now.

Social source share

Does'nt matter if its real or fake ...in the right hands it will get played out and passed off as the real deal and people will dance to it in a big room! 

Some people will care ,most won't :(

Loosely translated ,it's just like every other rare record on the scene ...it's value is set by how much someone is willing to pay for it ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And it's definitely "I Need Some Loving".

Curiouser and curiouser... My scepticism was based around the fact that this COULD have been a one-sided disc with a new recording of Margaret Little cut onto the flip - but the fact that it has two correct sides (albeit one of them unplayable) makes it seem far more genuine. Unless it was a totally blank acetate, BOTH sides got cut and the flipside was deliberately destroyed to make the story more believable, thereby double bluffing cynics like me who assumed it was a one-sided cut and shut.

Doesn't matter if it's real or fake? That's like discussing religion and saying the existence of god is irrelevant!

Social source share

The guy hasn't sold one northern soul record so how could he assume this is rare an then carry on to describe it as northern soul and rare,idiots will do watever bidding wise

US dealers often describe records as "rare" even when they dont know what it is. Twice I've responded to people selling acetates to inform them that yes its a soul record, but no its not rare and was issued on such and such label etc. Each time they have put the information up on the listing stating what it is after being informed. So from that I take it they genuinely did not know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!