Coral Records

HAD A SCOUR LAST NIGHT AND DISCOVERD A FEW MORE ON THIS GREAT LOGO DID NOT REALISE WHAT AWESOME TUNES WERE LAY DORMENT ON THIS GREAT LABEL.DUG OUT A GREAT LEROY AND THE DRIVERS TRACK THAT IS NOT IN THE PRICE QUIDE AND WOW THEM EARLY PATTI AUSTIN TRACKS [CHECK YOU OUT BABY]VERY SOULFUL INDEED.

ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS OF POTENTIAL TRACKS FROM THIS LOGO.

BAZ A.

ILL BE CHECKING MR RIMMERS SITE FOR DISOGRAPHY ETC,ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS?

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

HAD A SCOUR LAST NIGHT AND DISCOVERD A FEW MORE ON THIS GREAT LOGO DID NOT REALISE WHAT AWESOME TUNES WERE LAY DORMENT ON THIS GREAT LABEL.DUG OUT A GREAT LEROY AND THE DRIVERS TRACK THAT IS NOT IN THE PRICE QUIDE AND WOW THEM EARLY PATTI AUSTIN TRACKS [CHECK YOU OUT BABY]VERY SOULFUL INDEED.

ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS OF POTENTIAL TRACKS FROM THIS LOGO.

BAZ A.

ILL BE CHECKING MR RIMMERS SITE FOR DISOGRAPHY ETC,ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS?

Hi Baz hope you are well, nice tips on here lately, One tip re Coral is don't buy the other track by whoever did Where Does That Leave Me, covered as Romance Watson (who was it really again, I have gone senile!) as its crap rock and roll!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Hi Baz hope you are well, nice tips on here lately, One tip re Coral is don't buy the other track by whoever did Where Does That Leave Me, covered as Romance Watson (who was it really again, I have gone senile!) as its crap rock and roll!

Cheers

Jock

It was Romance Watson wasn't it? There's an even slower version by Gene Stridel on Columbia. Have to say Iike both of them, but then I've never been much of a dancer :thumbsup:

Back to Coral I really like Joanne King - My Baby Left Me which I think was originally covered up as Irma & the Fascinations

Social source share

Lada Edmund Jr - The Hullaballoo. Only ever had this on a demo but it's recorded over the backing track of Major Lance's Monkey Time and you can plainly hear the major on the backing vocals. The song is celebrating the tv show, obviously, but it's great!

p.s. I'm getting a bit confused here actually, I'm starting to think it's by Joey Heatherton and not Lada Edmund.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Picked up a nice UK 'Hope we have' by the Artistics recently. Sean Chapman, thirty quid. top tune. :thumbsup:

I got a propper US gold coral minta,for a fiver :( i`m gonna` miss you,is good too!.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lada Edmund Jr - The Hullaballoo. Only ever had this on a demo but it's recorded over the backing track of Major Lance's Monkey Time and you can plainly hear the major on the backing vocals. The song is celebrating the tv show, obviously, but it's great!

p.s. I'm getting a bit confused here actually, I'm starting to think it's by Joey Heatherton and not Lada Edmund.

Yes, Pete, you are getting confused - "The Hullabaloo" is actually a version of "The Matador", not "The Monkey Time" and the backing vocals are by Billy Butler, not Major Lance. Oh yeah, and it IS by Joey, not Lada...

...Other than that, you're spot on!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes, Pete, you are getting confused - "The Hullabaloo" is actually a version of "The Matador", not "The Monkey Time" and the backing vocals are by Billy Butler, not Major Lance. Oh yeah, and it IS by Joey, not Lada...

...Other than that, you're spot on!

Look, I haven't heard it for years :-)

Of course it's Major Lance on backing vocals though, Billy Butler was in France at the time as acting U.S. Ambassador, get your facts right!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Coral's been going since 1949, there are nearly 2500 releases on the label. Most will be of no interest whatsover to most Sourcers (other than perhaps me!) and overall, the R & B/Soul content of the label amounts to no more than 10-20% in total...

I've always wondered what 1964's "Hootenanny Granny" by Big Tiny Little sounds like, though, and lovers of the truly arcane might enjoy one of my personal favourites, the 1949 release "Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go With Man Friday On Saturday Night?" by Texas Jim Lewis (Coral 64020)...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone...you can actually hear Major Lance singing the original lyrics to The Matador underneath the new vocal, Billy Butler my bottom...

I won't be able to play the JH record till tonight, so I can't corroborate this yet. I'm not saying that you can't hear Major in there somewhere, but Billy Butler sings backing vocals on all of Major Lance's early 45s that have them, from "Delilah" through to "Girls", so if it's Major's backing track and you can hear Major you will be able to hear Billy, too! Billy also sings backing vocals on a lot of other Okeh releases of the period, you can hear him very clearly on Walter Jackson's "That's What Mama Say" for instance.

He also sings backing vocals on most of Otis Leavill's Blue Rock 45s, and once Curtis got too busy with the Impressions to do so himself, Billy also played guitar on a good portion of 1963-64 Okeh releases. Including "The Matador"

Social source share

Cheers

Jock

CHEERS JOCK,

AS ALWAYS A GENTLEMAN,HOPE YOUR WELL MATE.

Hi Baz,

I`ve always thought Danny Harrison " Girl, Girl, Girl " is a great track from that lable, uptempo beefy in you face thumper. I sold a yellow demo for £70 last year. It got snapped up pretty quick so it must have been a fair price.

Andy

Nice one mate will definetly get it on the wants !

Picked up a nice UK 'Hope we have' by the Artistics recently. Sean Chapman, thirty quid. top tune. :thumbsup:

love it played it at soul or nothing cant believe how good it sounds these days ,so good loud.

Social source share

It was Romance Watson wasn't it? There's an even slower version by Gene Stridel on Columbia. Have to say Iike both of them, but then I've never been much of a dancer whistling.gif

It was Romance Watson and his other track on Coral is 'Come a little closer'.

As for 'Where does that leave me' there is also a fairly decent version by Nancy Wilson on Capitol which should only cost about £15.

Social source share

For early Motown fans check out the Francis Burnett singles she did 4 i think in the mid fifties, i have 3 of them Come to me (B, Gordy Jr,-M, Johnson) B/W So many tears (Joe Weaver).....Too proud (Janie Bradford,Berry Gordy Jr) B/W I Love Him So (fire fly) William Robinson, Berry Gordy Jr....Please Remember Me (Dodds) B/W How I Miss You So (Berry Gordy Jr, Gwen Gordy) All of interest to motown collectors, "Miss You So" i have on uk Coral dated 1959 the other two are on american, no dates but assume 59 too, all in gorgeous original Coral sleeves too.

If anyone has a copy of the fourth single i would love to know what it is like.

rob h. whistling.gif

Social source share

'Jimmy Steward Jr. - CONVINCE ME - Coral'

RnB/Northern Thumper of the highest order!

Only seen demo's.

Only seen one issue which my mate Andy sold on ebay the other day so it does excist.

Here's a clip

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...tle=CONVINCE_ME

Gashers suggestion of The Spidels - If It Ain't One Thing is tops as well :yes:

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Spidels...t_One_Thing.ram

post-642-1153385486.png

Edited by richard
Social source share

'Jimmy Steward Jr. - CONVINCE ME - Coral'

RnB/Northern Thumper of the highest order!

Only seen demo's.

Another Coral records R'nB thumper of the highest order (apparently) is Barbara Wells 'Pretty Boy' - our youth used to give it a spin back in the day.

Social source share

sharon soul you found my weakspot is pretty good

flip it over for a belting mid-tempo thing Dave - Just how long can I go on.

A belting singer is Sharon - always loved her 'His love is amazing'. Great Northern :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert