Spyder Turner - No One Else Will Do (I Can't Make It Anymore Backing)

Sounds great - but at the risk of being maligned, isnt this just 'Tailor Made' for the Northern Soul by numbers brigade....no disrespect to anyone intended particularly Spider, but it had to be said....

Best Russ

Yes I guess it is, Chalky said he wrote it, asked Spyder if he fancied singing it, and it's all turned out pretty good, and I honestly think if nobody had ever heard "I can't make it anymore", they'd love this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Experimentation with music and lyrics will always happen. Even when I write a brand new song, there is an idea in my head what it should sound like. Sometimes it goes an 'original' route and others ends up sounding like something familiar. How do you think all those songs at Motown evolved? Joe Hunter told me that the opening to 'Heatwave' came directly from the Black Bottom/Charleston groove of his childhood in the 1920's. He wanted to keep something in the arrangements he was working on reminiscent of his childhood. And if so many 1960's recordings tried to emulate Motown, were they indeed also tailor made for example?

Indeed I have just written a song with a famous UK rock band in mind, due to an amazing coincidence where I live in London. This band are established and are big! I played the band track to my wife and she said it sounded like 'Baby when you're gone' by Bryan Adams. She was right. There was nothing further from my mind when I did the chords and groove, but the chords are the same (the groove wasn't). So I have had to change it for obvious reasons. But, it will be done and be part of the experience.

So to prove a point, here is a collaboration I am involved with and has just released by UK Soul Singer 'Diane Shaw'. Diane is an accomplished singer/performer with a fabulous delivery. She performs oldies from the 60/70's and sings with passion. Her and producer Andy Birkinshaw have decided to record some original works, professionally for release. They wanted to create something new, but with yesterdays flavours. Is that such a bad thing? Of course not. It's who we are. Against all the negativity and downers of songwriting, it is actually fun and experimentation is part of that fun. 'No one else will do' by Spyder is part of that scenario. This time a song structure with chords, with a different melody and lyrics. From that...there could be a development where new chords and rhythm tweaks evolve the song to a different level. I know from experience what happens in the studio really does change the song(s) demos up a peg or two.

Here is the Diane Shaw cut. It is now available, co written by Diane and myself, real rhythm section and strings too. It's called 'Good lovin man':

My next song will be called; 'There will always be someone finding fault, that's why there are so many critics about'. It's those critics that indirectly inspire individuals to come up with something better to basically shut them up, but...it's a win win for both lol!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

And don't think good soul music created today is not possible. Here is another original cut called 'Don't promise me sunshine' which I am not involved with.

and another ( I think this may be a cover):

'Leave a little love'

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Isn't it a good song Pete? Lovely melody etc.....

When I was in the States in 2003, a writer/producer from the 1960's told me nobody wanted his songs or his production ideas back in the day. Was slated off for trying and sounding like so many other efforts. Where have I heard that before? Does the negativity about new works come with the territory...yep, sure does. It took a musical phenomena in the North of England to put that right and remind Americans they had created something of worth. 

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I think it fits well together Pete. I wish I could come up with something like that. But, that's what makes song writing a challenge. Ticking the boxes of just a few, is good in the long run. Like Spyders track above. There is a history and curiosity which is nice. And like Diane Shaws releases, if they are liked, why not buy them? A English based singer, performing as good as some other US artists deserves much success and respect. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Talking of modern soul covers, the video for 'Leave a little love' was posted today on YouTube. Real Strings, piano, horns, singers and violins....this deserves success and I hope Diane sings this at Skegness.....

Social source share

Talking of modern soul covers, the video for 'Leave a little love' was posted today on YouTube. Real Strings, piano, horns, singers and violins....this deserves success and I hope Diane sings this at Skegness.....

Superb Carl and so great to hear/see proper instruments being used.

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Carl - Leave A Little Love - minor UK hit for Lulu on Decca in 1965, US version by Patti Austin on Coral, also done on UK Pye by Terry Anton.

Also another UK version by The Cimmerons on Bullet.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

What's interesting is that Les Reed, one of the writers of 'Leave a little love' has contacted Diane and said she has done a great version of the song! Imagine that. What an honour to have such an esteemed writer contact you....

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Guest Carl Dixon

Here's a work in progress I am currently working on called 'Loving you always came easy'. Sounds familiar, so need to work on the melody a little more and add some strings to nail it. I am hearing a number of other songs in there:-

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/loving-you-always-came-easy-the-delgonives

Don't think I posted this either - sort of east coast mid 1970's Philly/Salsoul in style:-

And this sort of mid 60's beach/Catalinas groove:-

Forgive me if I have posted these before. If not appropriate, let me know etc or just delete post.....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

And for a jolly, I did a video (stills) of the two sessions I was involved with in 2008 in Detroit and Philly and various other photos. I was learning about the editing software etc. The horn section in Detroit had some original Motown and Golden World players on the session. Edward Gooch on Trombone for example at Golden World and John Trudell on trumpet at Motown....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

great tune Pete

We wrote those lyrics in my car at the Prestatyn Soul weekender in March this year. With a vocal delivery from a pro like Spyder, just terrific. It proves with effort, and the right combination of chords and melody anything is possible. Hitsville Chalky had the notion for the song and we built the lyrics around that piping up ideas and rhymings over a couple of days. Playing the instrumental in my car had limitations as the car switched off the CD player after about 5 minutes to save power, so right in the middle of something special...all would stop. Song writing is an art and I have much to learn. Spyder taught us a valuable lesson in the car that Norman Whitfield gave him! Priceless advice from a top performer...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!