John Manship Auction Results 7-5-2014

8964_1sm.jpg8964_1sm.jpg8964_2sm.jpg
Ramsey Lewis Wade In The Water C/w Ain't That Peculiar

A MOD and 60s all night Club anthem in it’s most-wanted - least seen format.

To the avid British Soul-Collector, this is a jewel, as it is the first 45 Ramsey had released in England and as an unknown artist it sold very little first time round; but on the back of Twisted Wheel, Mojo, Nite Owl, Beachcomber etc spins. It’s profile was lifted, so much so, Pye UK 3 years later re-issued it on Chess 9096 - then it became a countrywide Nightclub, Youth Club & even Fairground anthem

White DEMO’s no matter how old you get, they still have the power to arouse

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 320.00

8961_1sm.jpg8961_1sm.jpg8961_2sm.jpg
Carlton And His Shoes Give Me Little More

WARNING!

Play the soundfile aand this record will be in your head all day, all week & perhaps forever. Infectious does not get even close, to describing this exhilarating cocktail of Soul and Jamaican ingenuity.

Mid-tempo addictive dancer that just lifts your spirits and the dancefloor atmosphere.

For me it’s totally brilliant as I’ve played it 4 times this morning already, I’m hooked this is narcotic Northern Soul!

The winning bid was £ 112.00

8962_1sm.jpg8962_1sm.jpg8962_2sm.jpg8962_3sm.jpg8962_4sm.jpg
Various Artists The Sue Story Volume 3

Cleaning Women! Cleaning Clean Woman!

Was this the Lady Steve Martin was thinking about in Movie “Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid” ? No according to legend this was the lady, with the huge broom who tidied up the SUE /ISLAND offices on Cambridge Road, London NW6

But this album is so much more than being a most inventive cover or indeed the rarest in this illustrious series of “The Sue Story”. It also has a 14 track choice aimed directly at the burgeoning English all-nite R&B Club dance audience. Every track hand picked to light up the 1966 dance-floor.

A forerunner you may say to the “Northern Soul” compilation album.

Britain most collectable record label at it’s good-looking best. Liner notes submitted by another influential man of the time DJ Mike Raven another pioneer and driving of Soul music scene during the mid-60s.

It has got the lot, this listing has for the nostalgic amongst us, boasts two clean labels, cover’s only flaws show some light wear to the edges, sparse age “browning” to the back cover’s “white” areas. Two totally clean labels - vinyl inspection reveals only the lightest of hairline blemishes none of which affect play.

The winning bid was £ 201.00

8956_1sm.jpg8956_1sm.jpg8956_2sm.jpg8956_3sm.jpg8956_4sm.jpg
Patti Austin Leave A Little Love + 3

When I was a young man I was incredibly lucky to do a trade with a Frenchman who had 3 copies of this ridiculously desirable 4 track EP. All were Mint unplayed. Even then back in 1980 I got very strong money on their sale. I always wished I kept a copy.

Well now 34 years later one of those copies has found it’s way back to me - in the same condition it left me in.

Unless the other two collectors filed their copies and just occasionally gazed upon it’s beauty (like the previous owner did), this example will be the finest copy to come to Manship’s-market since 1980.

FRENCH ONLY and offering two of Patti’s finest Northern Soul offerings of the 10 45’s she released for Coral as a teenager and inexplicably not one of those NS killers received a British release.

At this moment, you are viewing Patti Austin’s rarest & most-collectable vinyl offer in astonishing condition, that in the future I doubt will ever be matched.

Click the soundfile to be very impressed - but not as much as you will be, if you ever privileged enough, to encounter the flawless cover, vinyl & labels of this historical release.

The winning bid was £ 244.00

8959_1sm.jpg8959_1sm.jpg8959_2sm.jpg
Otis Clay The Only Way Is Up

Northern Soul WHITE PROMO collectors each-your-heart-out

Well I’m not ashamed to admit this 45 is SO RARE I can’t ever remember seeing one before neither can all the other dealer/collectors I’ve spoke to at Soul Essence Weekender last week.

Same song each side and it plays perfectly..label has light browning (see scan) vinyl has some light surface hairline but not affecting play in the slightest (listen to the impressive soundfile)

So, NS WHITE PROMO addicts will you sleep tonight…

The winning bid was £ 181.00

Social source share

8965_1sm.jpg8965_1sm.jpg8965_2sm.jpg
Patterson Singers Mr. Soft Touch

If you’re ever yearning for a bit of intelligent Soul-Vinyl conversation, just stand at the bar in Great Yarmouth “Soul Essence Weekender” and wise words will flow like Guinness, about other “black” stuff that is so important to us.

Bri Goucher purveyor and eulogist of Deep Soul recordings was raving to the point of nearly buying me a drink about this excruciatingly rare & blindingly powerful group-ballad by the “Peterson Singers”. I said I have that and I wanted to air it a radio station set recently but ran out of time!

Well two balding old men were getting very excited about it’s rarity and it’s awesome lead vocalist Mildred Lane who struts her chords like no other.

So on my return I dug it out - it’s a record that everyone needs to be heard. Deep Soul vocal group recordings do not get more dominant than this New Yorker;Mildred’s vocal dripping with authority and warmth in copious amounts.

DEEP SOUL rarity that will turn into a Grail overnight - and not just because “The Gouch” almost bought a round of drinks whilst frothing at the mouth over it…but also because this is one totally Superior-Soul-Session

The winning bid was £ 177.00

8969_1sm.jpg8969_1sm.jpg8969_2sm.jpg
Lee Walker Slipping In C/w Cold Sand

This week’s offering to the Northern Soul R&B enthusiast is a very rare Los Angeles Blues 45, with a stonkin’ slab of thumpin’ R&B sheltered away on the flipside of a very sought after Harmonica driven Blues beauty.

As far as I know at this moment in time, this growling-harp-steamroller has escaped all European DJ’s clutches, due to it’s extreme rarity and the demand for the squealing down-home flipside.

After the door is rattled and the brief conversation intro fades, a Jump-Blues killer takes over. Willd harmonica sucks and puffs through the air, relentless shaker displaying the mastery of the instrument and what it can emit in the hands of an accomplish player. R&B Dj’s this is dripping with potential.

Blues collectors you will never locate a finer copy, two flawless labels and vinyl without a blemish after absconding from 52 years of storage, strainght into my arms.

If condition, rarity and quality are the three points you buy your 45s on, this October 1962 platter ticks all 3 boxes.

The winning bid was £ 99.00

8968_1sm.jpg8968_1sm.jpg8968_2sm.jpg
Master Keys Tears

Click - listen and melt!

An utterly exquisite harmony vocal Northern Soul groove is about to reveal all it’s class for you, with a mid-tempo stroller demonstrating 60s harmony Northern Soul at it very smoothest.

Rare early 60s Detroit in near perfect condition!

This is pure quality, in dream condition - a record aimed at those of you single-minded and hellbent on owning the world’s rarest NS offerings in the best condition possible. (a couple of light smudges on the flipside vinyl - otherwise this would have been possibly grade Mint)

Listen again - it’s a beauty isn’t it…

The winning bid was £ 163.00

8958_1sm.jpg8958_1sm.jpg8958_2sm.jpg8958_3sm.jpg
Gloria Scott That's What You Say C/w What Am I Gonna Do

Gloria Scott far to brief studio recordings with the master of L.A. Soul Bary White produced what is universally considered the greatest Soul-Sister album of tghe 70s.

From that album two stand-out tracks never received USA release as 45’s firstly the amazing Rare-Soul classic “(A Case) Of Too Much Love Making” & That’s What You Say” both of which became Richard Searling signature tunes.

“(A Case) Of Too Much Love Making” had a day-out in Australia (the 45 being stupidly rare” but “That’s What You Say” remained an Album only track, until French Casablanca pull them and pressed a 45 PROMO to promote the ” What Am I Gonna Do” album.

This offering gives the owner the 1975 a rare chance to own a 7” complete with PROMO insert - special grooved black card Promo cover. Two flawless eye-catching labels. And two recordings that epitomize pre-disco 70s dance-soul at it’s best.

Just gorgeous with two side to die for.

Other than one mark of the B-side vinyl - NOT affecting play this offering is in truly spanking condition.

The winning bid was £ 338.00

8957_1sm.jpg8957_1sm.jpg8957_2sm.jpg
The Butlers If That's What You Wanted C/w Your Love

UNIQUE! a direct cut with the clarity only an original acetate can offer.

This listing is for those of our members, who are very serious about owning the rarest form a unrivaled Northern Soul classics…

This Billy Jackson creation rose from Philadelphia obscurity to become one of the GREATEST Northern Soul 45s ever heard. Still to this day the iconic collision of the gentle brushing intro with the trumpets, then the mighty drum-roll signals the start of a wildebeest-charge to the “weekender” dancefloor.

So ogle the original studio acetate with no mention of Frank Beverley - slightly shortened title with the flip “Love You Pain Goes Deep)” again shorten different to “Your Love”

This was the birth of one of THE most-important records to ever grace the Northern Soul scene,we are treating it as an historical Northern Soul Artifact with no comparisons, at this goosebumps moment.. springing to mind.

Bid like you want to own it - bid like you want to leave this earth holding it….

The winning bid was £ 549.00

Social source share

8966_1sm.jpg8966_1sm.jpg8966_2sm.jpg
Beverly Wheeler With The Cameros Don't Shake My Tree Instrumental / Vocal

The shifting sands of Northern Soul sees this rarity rising to top of the more FUNK inspired DJ sets, as it successfully blends Jazz/Funk & Soul into a relentless keyboard & Wah-Wah guitar propelled dancer.

The incredibly impressive INSTRUMENTAL side evokes vision of wide-brim scarlet hats, wide yellow flares, Afro-haircuts, Cadillacs, Pimps & 60s Ghetto crime. A atmospheric experience so In-Club-Vogue at this time..

Vocally exceptional as Ms. Wheeler does a Towanda Barnes style demolition of the dancefloor; with her fusion of cool-attitude backed by a Tony Steele production utilizing Harps, String Section, handclaps, horns Keyboards, Gospel inspired girl-group backing and all manner of instrumentals supporting the lead - totally bombastic production with an imposing instrumental break pulling the whole thing together.

When we last had a copy - actually during the last century when the Funky Northern Soul was not in vogue we sold this 45 for £20.. ouch! but those every changing tastes, styles and demands of the DJ and dancers have in more recent times rocketed this rarity to must-own status.

NORTHERN SOUL FUNK at it’s most compelling and very hard to find.

The winning bid was £ 211.00

8955_1sm.jpg8955_1sm.jpg8955_2sm.jpg
Dave Charles Ain't Gonna Cry No More

Proper Stomping Classic-style Northern Soul with a huge reputation for rarity.

A snarling, growling beast of a tune, that never takes pause for a moment not even to catch breath; a break-neck stomper capable of inciting dance-floor mayhem. I’ve witnessed it’s power to ignite floor-exercises worthy of a Olga Korbut going for Gold.

A drop from the real-side of Northern Soul that shimmering with rarity & potency, with a ferocious capacity for dancing-bedlam!

Listen and keep still if you can..

The winning bid was £ 702.00

8967_1sm.jpg8967_1sm.jpg8967_2sm.jpg
Jack Hammer What Greater Love

This recording knocks me dead and always will do.

I actually heard this version before Little Anthony’s original. When a college buddy with a huge collection played it to me. As a fledgling Soul-Boy I was totally mesmerized by the monster production and that potent vocal Jack Hammer delivered.

At the time circa 1970 this 45 was only 1 year old, I couldn’t I find a copy anywhere, in fact even today I don’t think I’ve ever found a copy rummaging,ferreting around Britain’s junk-shops in the hope of a vinyl-rush that seldom cmes.

This is no easy-find and I just love the tune with it’s kitchen-sink production, as Mike Vickers yet again flexes his musical-muscle with a full orchestral backing.

The Best Of British! That I feel needs some turntable time…anyone got a copy in their DJ box?

The winning bid was £ 77.00

8960_1sm.jpg8960_1sm.jpg8960_2sm.jpg
Willie Mason & All The Kings Men Why

Been a long, long time since I’ve had the enviable pleasure of listing this rarity for auction.

Tremendous version of the near impossible Nat Hall, this Washington, D.C. session takes it by the scruiff of the neck and irons out the rough spots, spewing out feel-good Northern Soul by the bucket load.

Echo-chamber resounds with a choking lead vocal ripped through with angst and pleading pain. “WHY” “I Want To Know Now” Mix in some awesome horn work with Willie’s beseeching style and you’re listening to one heaving-monster of a tune.

Miss it - we can assure you… you’ll be as sick as a Parrot.

as it just does not break-surface very often..

The winning bid was £ 617.00

8970_1sm.jpg8970_1sm.jpg8970_2sm.jpg8970_3sm.jpg8970_4sm.jpg
Supremes Jonny Und Joe C/w Thank You Darling

Attention Motown / Supremes & Northern Soul DJ’s.

In 1964 German CBS delved into the Motown Vaults to release “Come See About Me” with different words sung in “German”. With Diana taking lead with her impressive gift for singing foreign languages.

Utilizing the backing track to Motown 1068 then adding fresh lyrics. It was of course a non-hit. As it was in various other countries Holland, Switzerland etc. But each country chose a different picture cover. This example being particularly attractive - with a clip with The three ladies suited & booted, sporting big wide grins.

This is our “interesting” offering this week - for the Motown completest.. Condition is impeccable - cover totally clean, two flawless label and that deep-rich heavy German vinyl giving up top sound quality.

The winning bid was £ 42.00

Social source share

What's it's real value Dave?    :lol:

Sold one last month, M- £60. I've had 3 copies too. It pops up now and then on Ebay, usually 'Buy It Now' for about 50-75 euros. 

Only a couple of weeks ago,  'Buy It Now' 45 euros 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLORIA-SCOTT-What-Am-I-Gonna-Do-RARE-FRENCH-PROMO-7-NORTHERN-SOUL-MINT-/351009103016?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D351009103016%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=i56P5CyOpDcAQ3FWP%252Batu5m%252FXU8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by alan t
Social source share

Was going to comment but couldn't bring myself to. As a lifelong British collector...well I still can't comment.

As a UK Chess collector, I'd say £100 tops, if you were feeling flush, could find nothing else to spend your money on, and it was 'the' missing number in your collection....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As a UK Chess collector, I'd say £100 tops, if you were feeling flush, could find nothing else to spend your money on, and it was 'the' missing number in your collection....

It's not something you see everyday IMO and I think it does appeal to those of us who are older in that it was probably one of the first things we heard back in late 60's.

My gut instinct when looking at JM's auctions is often to think what a rip-off but then John has built it up. He doesn't set the final price and if people are willing to pay at auction what some of us consider to be over the odds then I can only admire his business model.

If there is a downside for John then it's about keeping the quality up. I don't think every record is an auction item so am sometimes surprised by his choices. It's Kevin "King" Lear at the moment.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I never get people who buy acetates that are exactly the same as the finished versions...

me too

Social source share

the Ramsey Lewis white demo is hard to find and although £320 may be a little high. the condition of the record make it a decent enough purchase.

It's only as hard to find as say The Entertainer WD - no Chess WD is worth more than £100 in my opinion.  My opinion, I stress.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!