Charades Acetate , Info?

Guest jameson

This sounds like a White soul band from Ohio, most of those tracks are covers, this could have been a demo for shows. I don't see a Way Out connection and there was no released record by a Charades on Way Out.

Robb, what is "choreo"? The New York group recorded for Okeh, Mercury, and MGM and included Cuba Gooding Sr. pre-Main Ingredient.

Social source share

This sounds like a White soul band from Ohio, most of those tracks are covers, this could have been a demo for shows. I don't see a Way Out connection and there was no released record by a Charades on Way Out.

Robb, what is "choreo"? The New York group recorded for Okeh, Mercury, and MGM and included Cuba Gooding Sr. pre-Main Ingredient.

i hadn't heard about any connection between a Charades group from Cleveland.  I was just asking if anyone knew about this group, and if they had recorded for Way Out.  There wasn't much else going on in Cleveland as far as Soul music production, other than Saru, Courier and Compass, and other small labels. 

The Charades on Choreo sang "Please Be My Love Tonight", which was an East Coast regional hit in 1962.  They were from New York.  But, as you didn't list them along with the other Cuba Gooding Charades' labels, i guess they must have been a different New York group.

Social source share

Now that I've listened to the snippets, I agree that they must be a Caucasian Soul group.  They sound pretty good, at least on "No time For You", "Ain't No Big Thing", and "Sweet Little Girl", that rock song, "Underdog" was terrible.

Social source share

google does take you to a brief bit of iinfo about a short lived Cleveland  "the Charades"

https://www.angelfire.com/ny/bolinfan/canyon.html

clip

Maver's next group, the Charades, formed in 1969 (evolving later into a slightly different version known as Charade). Steve Popovich, a friend of Maver's who was then working for Columbia Records in New York, introduced him to a Columbia vice president, who flew to Cleveland to hear the Charades play at the Agora. He signed them to Columbia, promising that Sylvester Stone, of Sly and the Family Stone, would produce their record. But a few weeks later, the vice president called to say he was leaving the label to manage Sly and the Farrely Stone and cotfid not take on any new projects.

The Charades ended up signing with Columbia subsidiary Epic. They went to New York to record at CBS, released a single and opened for well-known artists. Then Epic told their manager that the label wanted the group to record an album at Columbia's new studios in San Francisco, under the auspices of two top Columbia producers.

more info via the link
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Choreo that I know was a NY label, released mostly "dance instruction records".

Not sure if that's the label Robb means though.

Pretty sweet cover of "No Time For You" & I actually like the "Underdog" track a lot.  Is that a cover??

Not sure if they sound all white, might be mixed.

Cool find.

Social source share

Choreo that I know was a NY label, released mostly "dance instruction records".

Not sure if that's the label Robb means though.

Pretty sweet cover of "No Time For You" & I actually like the "Underdog" track a lot.  Is that a cover??

Not sure if they sound all white, might be mixed.

Cool find.

this is the record Robb mentioned, the label is Ava:

Social source share

also, I'm sure all the songs are covers, although not every song was in the audio file to confirm:

- ain't no big thing is a radiants cover
- lucky ole sun is pretty much a traditional
- sweet little girl is a manhattans cover
- underdog is a sly cover as soulhawk mentioned
- don't look back is probably a temptations cover 
- don't waste your time is a 5 stairsteps cover
- no time for your is a commands cover
- you that i need is probably a temptations cover
Social source share

• 2 months later...

The band cited in the link is the band that made the acetate, confirmed by a band member. Most of the Charades were originally in the band Dick Whittingtons Cats, and were the band on the Bocky and the Visions 45s on Redda. The only other record by these Charades is a 45 on Epic "And You Do"/Somebodys Watching You" - the A side was a hit on Cleveland radio in the summer of 1970. The B side is another Sly/Family Stone cover.

google does take you to a brief bit of iinfo about a short lived Cleveland  "the Charades"

https://www.angelfire.com/ny/bolinfan/canyon.html

clip

Maver's next group, the Charades, formed in 1969 (evolving later into a slightly different version known as Charade). Steve Popovich, a friend of Maver's who was then working for Columbia Records in New York, introduced him to a Columbia vice president, who flew to Cleveland to hear the Charades play at the Agora. He signed them to Columbia, promising that Sylvester Stone, of Sly and the Family Stone, would produce their record. But a few weeks later, the vice president called to say he was leaving the label to manage Sly and the Farrely Stone and cotfid not take on any new projects.

The Charades ended up signing with Columbia subsidiary Epic. They went to New York to record at CBS, released a single and opened for well-known artists. Then Epic told their manager that the label wanted the group to record an album at Columbia's new studios in San Francisco, under the auspices of two top Columbia producers.

more info via the link

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!