Has Anyone Ever Bought

Guest Soulsurfer

Guest Soulsurfer

A bootleg that turned out to be the real deal? I've never been that lucky myself, but the law of averages says it's got to have happened to a lucky few? 

additionally, has anyone ever got anything particularly rare? I think it would make my year if it were to happen to me!

Social source share

No but plenty of people have bought what they must think is the real thing and got a boot / re-issue .

Some do it even when the seller clearly states its not the original

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cindy-Scott-I-Love-You-Baby-Northern-Soul-/121306456328?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Vl%252FkQs0qlscipD778d0c3N7cPHM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

No but plenty of people have bought what they must think is the real thing and got a boot / re-issue .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cindy-Scott-I-Love-You-Baby-Northern-Soul-/121306456328?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Vl%252FkQs0qlscipD778d0c3N7cPHM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Yeah, I know of loads of instances of that happening - happened to me, wasn't stated as a pressing though - Younghearts, a little togetherness. i didn't realise originas had a nashville matrix until about 6 months after I paid for mine....

Social source share

Yum Yums - chap thought he was selling me a boot. Rob Smith had a 'real' boot in his box so a quick quick confirmed my suspicions - East coast original £7 - made sure I told him that I knew he thought he was ripping me off too!

He wasn't real happy about it either....

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I got Rita Dacosta and The Hesitations for nothing from a guy I knew at school.

"I'm finished with Northern. Here, you're wanting to get into it so you can have these boots"

At the time (1981) I had no idea what a bootleg was, and only discovered they were real when I bought the Manship guide. Sadly I also discovered several things I thought were real...weren't! 

Social source share

:ohmy:   :ohmy:   :ohmy:

Social source share

about 7 years back I bought something fro ebay,cant remember what...the seller then sent me a list of others he had for sale inc crackin up over you for £7..thinkin it was the orange reissue which was going for 25 at the time I bought it along with some others inc our love will grow/showmen for 8..both originals the crackin up being a nice black issue :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought Jimmy Conwell - Too Much (Gemini) and Caesars - Girl I Miss You (Lanie) for £4 each in my local record shop, the owner thought they were boots! Not sure where he gets his info from but they haven't been booted!

He has boots that he thinks are real priced as originals!!! Don't think he knows his arse from his elbow... :D  

Social source share

Bought Jimmy Conwell - Too Much (Gemini) and Caesars - Girl I Miss You (Lanie) for £4 each in my local record shop, the owner thought they were boots! Not sure where he gets his info from but they haven't been booted!

He has boots that he thinks are real priced as originals!!! Don't think he knows his arse from his elbow... :D  

Sorry to say Jimmy Conwell has been booted, on a very good look alike copy as well.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not me but my father.

He came home from work one day and said he'd bought 2 records off a guy at work who had gotten into Punk, and he'd heard my dad asking 'what is this Northen Soul my son keeps on about?'.

50p each. I got an original Whisky Talkin' and Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows (Golden triangle version).

Cos I was new and my dad said they weren't real I put them in a box of pressings and didnt take them out for nearly ten years, soon after my dad passed away. When I pulled the Dickie Wonder I had a bit of a shock and checked the Forte, and it was real too.

I've had to sell records in the not too distant past to make ends meet. But I'd never part with those 2.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Bloody hell - turns out virtually every 'US original' I bought (from nighters, mates, and chuffing bona fide record shops - hang your head in shame Vallances of Mansfield) turned out to be a bleeding boot - mostly found all this out on here - absolutely decimated my collection in one go. I felt rubbish - so it must be doubly brilliant to find out the other way round.

Social source share

As a youngster I was in Selectadisc buying a Sweets 'Satisfy me baby' - when the guy (Nick I think it was) pulled it out of the rack he said "You're in luck, its a real one!" - handed it over for the 75p anyway. Good man!

Social source share

Before the guides I had a lovely white ric tic demo of Al Kent..Acting lately then got an issue in a soul pack which I swiftly got rid of.I've also got a flesh coloured Epitome as well.I had the green boot but got rid as it wasn't as pleasing on the eye.I still can't find that raised number on the Epitome.

Social source share

Mentioned before but as it fits the thread. Valances in Mansfield had a record section at the back ( be about 1977) had the usual boots pinned to the wall for that period in a town consumed with NS. Had white Sassy demos of Frank Beverly on the wall for £2, bought as a boot turned out real. There must be several in Mansfield lofts.

Social source share

Before the guides I had a lovely white ric tic demo of Al Kent..Acting lately then got an issue in a soul pack which I swiftly got rid of.I've also got a flesh coloured Epitome as well.I had the green boot but got rid as it wasn't as pleasing on the eye.I still can't find that raised number on the Epitome.

Didn't think there was a white demo of 'Acting lately' ?  the raised bit is underneath the label itself mate,  you have to feel for it, a bit like braille.

Last week found a nashville matrix on a copy of 'Age of the wolf'  Susan Coleman that I had thought was a boot for 30 years :)

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I heard that the best way to tell a bootleg from an original is to scrape the label off after soaking the disc in boiling water, If it's a boot, the label is harder to get off. Just checked my entire collection and luckily for me they were all originals.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I heard that the best way to tell a bootleg from an original is to scrape the label off after soaking the disc in boiling water, If it's a boot, the label is harder to get off. Just checked my entire collection and luckily for me they were all originals.

The witch dipping method. If they drown they are innocent. if they live they are witches.

Social source share

A few years ago a mate of mine gave me some Northern Records he had bought back In the 70s. after going through them! I found most were either Pressing/ boots, but one that had me checking the Manships Guide was  Eddie Parker's- Love You Baby on Ashfofd  with a large ARCHER Stamp I was made up to find it was original. One of the other 45s was a Deep red / poor quality sounding boot of Duke Browner-- Crying over you- on Impact. A Duke Browner boot went on Ebay last week and was at £100+ The last time I looked? Sold as a second press. It's a bloody mine field out there and some people are just not bothered. Rod

Social source share

Off subject slightly Brought of manship very early eighties a Natural Four thought you were mine on boola boola records listed for £3.00 Thought then this was boot/pressing Found out later that it was the first issue and is worth now approx. £300  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Off subject slightly Brought of manship very early eighties a Natural Four thought you were mine on boola boola records listed for £3.00 Thought then this was boot/pressing Found out later that it was the first issue and is worth now approx. £300  :thumbsup:

Nice !

Social source share

Thats when it makes record collecting all the more worthwhile, be nice wouldn't it.... 1 in every 10 that way

Social source share

I got INNERSECTION W/D in a soul pack and was told by Rob Thomas it was disco shite  :lol:  but soul packs are a different story , sorry !

Has this thread been done? What's the best single you got in a soul pack? If not... does someone fancy starting one?!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a Joe Matthews......Aint Nothing You Can Do at the upstairs record bar at Wigan. Red issue. Thought it had been booted. ( I think there were 3 copies there, certainly more than one.) Think I paid 85p for it. Certainly under a quid. Lost it when I split up with a girlfriend and went off the scene raving on the house scene. Only years later did I think to enquire could it have been an original. On this site actually. Yes came back the answer, its never been booted on an issue. GRRRRRRRRR.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!