Out On The Floor....at Last

So, who would have thought that on that warm summer Sunday evening in June 1980, as I packed my sweat-soaked shirt into my canvas toolbag and walked into the clear Nottingham evening that this would be the last time I danced to rare soul in public.......    ...until now!

Nearly 34 years later I'm out tomorrow night, largely thanks to Soul Source to be honest (all that enthusiasm is catching!):  Black short sleeve shirt - check. Levi's, check. Bedded in shoes - check. Dance moves...hmmm unchanged since last time out. Hope I don't look out of place - could be a dream or a disaster....

Reading the Fiona dance lessons thread people are pretty much saying that you just feel the music and everything else doesn't matter - that's how I'm going to approach it (as I used to to be honest).

Which brings me to the point - what's the longest gap anyone has had between soul nights? Will I hold the record? If so, it'd be the only decent record I own  :lol: .

Any stories about first nights back after a long gap would be good.

Stu

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks for the posts everyone! I'll let you know how I get on.

Mr Nice - that's just what I was thinking - sweet and mellow 70s all the way.............not.

Stu you didn't say where you were going or is that intentional. People on here might be there and will want to say hello. Have a good night  anyway. Steve

Social source share

Oh... not intentional - I'm going to the Soul Over Easy night at the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield - thought it might be a good one to ease myself in with - then I'll be looking for somewhere that plays 'newer' sounds.

If anybody's going I'll be the one who's pushing 50, balding, wearing dark clothes - can't miss me!

Social source share

You'd be surprised at the some of the top dancers on the floor in their fifties.  Huge respect.

You'll be at the bar - and naturally get chatting with other punters; old/ new, some have never been away, or like yourself, possibly back after a long absence.  What I would say is, tek it in your stride, don't pull too many muscles or strain yerself with acrobatics on the floor - believe me, if the musics right, you'll think you've never been away! - but you haven't been on a floor in 30 years, so ease into it.

At the end, you'll ask yourself ' Do I want to go again?' 

A re-sounding yes, I hope is the answer.  :yes:

I'd also mention, if you don't enjoy it for what ever reason, don't be put off.  There are, on average, 50 odd venues running in the UK every week.  It takes time, literally years to find your favourite venues - which is also part of the excitement.

Have a great night!

atb

Dave          

Social source share

Word of warning Stu, if you used to be handy with the spins take it easy, two full revolutions after so long out and you'll need somebody on each arm guiding you back to your seat and then it will be the room spinning for the rest of the night not you! :D

Have a great night.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest scottie

at the moment every time i get on the dance floor it feelslike 34yrs since the last time

adopting a rab c nesbit persona

"an i will tell you this boy i have never had a dance lesson isnt that true mary doll"

Edited by scottie
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Cracking you had a great night mate, welcome back. Even better you want to hear something off the beaten track. If only more who's returned had your open mind.

Good on you Stu.

Social source share

I'm so glad you enjoyed your outing the timing is really good as you build up the stamina,  possibly suffering occasional cramp, muscle or tendon strains as a price paid for a bloody good night out.  

Who knows, the next thing you know you will be out both Friday & Saturday nights; then comes the Bridlington, Whitby, Scarborough or Skegness weekenders, Keele or Stoke allnighter and then Prestatyn weekender.

Does it ever stop? ....... Phew I get excited just thinkin about the great events to come this year and early next year.

KTF

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!