Album Vs. 45 - Biggest Price Gap?

Benji

Seeing that the french 7" of Garnet Mimms - As long as I have you (allegedly?) sold for 1.000 Euros while the album is readily available, I was wondering what's the biggest gap in value between album and 7" of a Northern soul track?

Here's my top 3:

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over - Liberty album vs UK Liberty 45 (album 20 quid or so, 45 a grand)

Garnet Mimms - As long as I have you - UA album vs french UA 45 (album 30-ish, 45 1.000 euros)

Silhouettes - Not me baby - Goodway 45 vs Goodway album (45 close to a grand, album 150-ish)

Any additions?

Social source share

Guest penny

Billy hawks 'oh baby' french 45

jack hammer 'down the subway' swedish 45

eddie jefferson 'psych sally' always been scarce and going up now

a few latin boogaloo tracks are hard on 45 but not massive money - I only know of one copy of ray terrace, for example, only released in singapore or something, and harvey averne is an obvious one. .,

Edited by penny
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

bobby valentin use it before you loose it (although not an easy lp and you get keep the faith lp only)

ross bagdasarian come on a my house and dean jones woman ska de la etc both on cheap original lps

gloria jones on uptown

chuito and the latin uniques is less than half the price of the 45

the list could be endless with the 45 being the preferred format on the soul scenes

i collect both 33s and 45s

Social source share

Guest john s

I hawked a copy of Marcia Hines album around for a year or 2 and took about $25 for it in the end, 45 is much more expensive.

I had about 10 copies of that LP from my first visit to Australia, was a dollar in pretty much every thrift store. Never had the 45 though!

Social source share

I take it this thread is about 7s priced higher than the LP’s that contain the same recording and lots of time the LP and the single edits are slightly different.  On the other side you’ve got the Turner Brothers who’s “Lets Go Fishing” on 7” goes for around £150 whereas the LP Act 1 goes for about a grand, due to the other tracks not release as a single.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Gloria scott - case of too much love making...rare 45, italian only?

Think this got an Oz release on 45, I sold one a few years back way way too cheap - from Alan Pollard's collection.  Solid centre, Casablanca label - unless I've got totally the wrong record  :lol:

sorry didn't realise this had already been replied to

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Seeing that the french 7" of Garnet Mimms - As long as I have you (allegedly?) sold for 1.000 Euros while the album is readily available, I was wondering what's the biggest gap in value between album and 7" of a Northern soul track?

Here's my top 3:

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over - Liberty album vs UK Liberty 45 (album 20 quid or so, 45 a grand)

Garnet Mimms - As long as I have you - UA album vs french UA 45 (album 30-ish, 45 1.000 euros)

Silhouettes - Not me baby - Goodway 45 vs Goodway album (45 close to a grand, album 150-ish)

Any additions?

I thought the silhouettes-not me baby was a 45 given away with the lp,but the track wasn't actually on the lp,and that the lp is just full of doowop stuff,nothing of interest on there?

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Not up on current prices so things may have changed, but Mary Saxton's - Losing Control on Pace was both very rare and pretty expensive back in the mid 2000's (think John Manship auctioned one for around a grand), but it's on the LP 'Sad Eyes' which I sold a couple of around that time at £75-£100.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Pat Brady has a Mary saxton at the moment for £500 which i thought looked cheap. Managed to pick up my copy of Sad eyes a couple of years ago for about $20. In fact the postage cost more than the lp

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Pat Brady has a Mary saxton at the moment for £500 which i thought looked cheap. Managed to pick up my copy of Sad eyes a couple of years ago for about $20. In fact the postage cost more than the lp

£500 does seem cheap compared to 10 years ago but I've no idea how many more copies have surfaced in that time. From memory it was thought to be LP only for many years and the Manship one may well have been one of the first 45s found.

$20 was a steal :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!