Don Gardner On Ebay Import Charges ?

Ian Seaman, on 02 Apr 2014 - 3:52 PM, said:

Yes Peter but if it went missing there would only be a minimum amount to claim ?, would using a visa/mastercard help even through paypal just in case you needed to get money back ?

Yep that's a good point Ian.

Social source share

They say they will ship priority or express with signature confirmation. They don't explicitly state they won't falsify customs though. Are you really asking because you want to bid but want to factor in the import costs in your bid?

Social source share

If the winners outside the US, it'll probably be cheaper to get on a plane to Chicago, collect it in person and then get the next plane back home.

As i'm not much of an ebay lurker/buyer is this a well known seller  ? Same seller sold one on 31st March as well, has it turned up in quantity or is he selling an MP3 of the record :)

Social source share

As i'm not much of an ebay lurker/buyer is this a well known seller  ? Same seller sold one on 31st March as well, has it turned up in quantity or is he selling an MP3 of the record :)

Just realised the copy "sold" on 31st march says ended so possibly not the same as sold ?

Social source share

Good spot Dave, two in weeks from the same seller, looks like that's another record to cross off the rarest of the rare list.

Social source share

This is on popsike from 2011 with similar description...

https://www.popsike.com/Don-Gardner-Cheatin-Kind-on-Sedgrick-nothern-soul-nm/260812377756.html

No feedback for the item in sellers profile from 2011 either positive or neg.

The centre of the 2 records have a different background.

Not sure what all that means (if anything !!)

KB

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Are the charges stated set or will they go up as folk bid on it ??, only just seen it so not sure if import charges were set at the start or not ??

Ian I hope I'm going to explain this right.  There are 2 types of sellers, those who ship directly to the buyer and those (the new batch) who ship via Ebay's shipping program. If you buy say a £200 record from the former ask them to declare it as $30.00 most will do that. The latter (new batch thus) will declare the real sold value ie £200 and you'll end up paying vat & duty on that sum, it could total 20 - 30% of the sale price. Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

a lot of sellers who don't use the global shipping program now write "I will not falsify customs" in their auctions or something similar. in the last couple of years the post office has been entering customs info into the computer and sellers are scared that the trail will lead to them being in trouble somehow. previously it was just on the paper and not saved in any way.

Social source share

The Grapevine 2000 release was legit.

I've had 2 parcels recently that have had full value declared. One seller specified this but I didn't notice, the other declared full despite me requesting $15. I won't buy from sellers who won't adjust the value or will adjust my bid accordingly. A £50 record now becomes £70. The worst aspect of this is that you get charged VAT on the US postage FFS.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

ebay UK charge you 10% on UK postage too now i recently found out after questioning a £260 ebay fee's bill !!

Also ebay are obliged by law to tell the tax man if you earn over about £8K (it has varied over the years) a year on the site so this one record could get the seller a tax bill too !!

Social source share

ebay UK charge you 10% on UK postage too now i recently found out after questioning a £260 ebay fee's bill !!

I've been pondering this. I really fail to understand how ebay can make a surcharge on a service they aren't actually providing. I keep thinking it must be illegal somehow, although they can obviously charge what they want for what they like...

Social source share

I've been pondering this. I really fail to understand how ebay can make a surcharge on a service they aren't actually providing. I keep thinking it must be illegal somehow, although they can obviously charge what they want for what they like...

Hence why they shipped their asses out of the UK sharpish !!

Social source share

ebay UK charge you 10% on UK postage too now i recently found out after questioning a £260 ebay fee's bill !! Also ebay are obliged by law to tell the tax man if you earn over about £8K (it has varied over the years) a year on the site so this one record could get the seller a tax bill too !!

Ebay do that because seller would ask a starting price of 0.01 cent/pence then ask £15.00 postage so if the items sold for £5.00 they only get commission on that sum. Now they total the sale price and shipping cost charged and their fees come off the total. As for informing the tax man, I'm registered in Belgium but sell on UK Ebay so the UK tax man can't really touch me, having said that Paypal does inform the authorities for any transactions over €3000.00 per month. One has to remember that about 95% of all that is sold on Ebay is done outside a sales tax regime, a sort of a car boot sale on line. That's fine for small amateur sellers but there are big operations out there buying and selling for gain and need to be treated just like any other trading company. Of course the downside of that is that everybody ends up paying. sound familiar ? 

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Same seller as the July 2011 - I asked him & he confirmed. That one was allegedly his personal copy but this latest one he discovered (wouldn't disclose where) :shhh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!