Is Covering Up A Soul Dj Kind Of Thing?

so let me understand - it is ok for me to own an unknown record and never tell anybody about it or play it anybody but it isn't alright for me to play it in clubs and put it on youtube for strangers all over the world to enjoy, but with a false name?

are you for real?

Yes, because you're missing the salient point - seemingly willfully as I don't believe you haven't identified it - which is that by playing it in clubs, posting it on youtube, putting it on playlists etc, you're seeking to achieve some benefit from that recording beyond your personal home enjoyment of it. Would an artist - conceivably - be put out by the notion of someone privately enjoying their record in their own home? Well, no, why on earth would he, unless they are somehow unhinged? Would an artist - conceivably - be put out by some DJ trying to make a name for themselves by retitling their song and their name in order to preserve their exclusive 'ownership' of it? Conceivably, I think you'd have to agree, 'yes'. Even if Bald Prick and the Knobheads wouldn't be offended.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Actually I've never really had a lot of time for cover-ups. It was an exercise in frustration for me personally. The records somehow didn't seem real until they were eventually outed whether they were any good or not. I'd usually breath a sigh of relief when some of the great ones were uncovered - The Coasters, Steve Karmen Big Band, the Capreez, Ila Vann etc, etc. I'm one of those people who like to know who singers, musicians, arrangers, producers, publishers and record labels actually are. So that's why I never liked cover-ups.

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Think we discussed 'Loverock / You got the Love' some time ago, first heard that round a mate of mines, Martin Redmond, he got stuff cause he ran the Sindrome nights at Shelleyes. Christ he's got some records.

On the subject of Mash up type things, I used to do a 'bedroom' one with David Bowie - Diamond Dogs and Tyrell Corporation - The Bottle, dont think I could replicate it now. One I remember standing out was from one of the Flying lot, maybe Dean thatcher with Blue Monday and Move Your Body, people used to 'lose their mind!" to that.. laughs

all good fun

M

Cliff Steele was daft enough to ask me to do a house set at one his nights in the early 90s (memory's gone west but it might have been his Birthday, or possibly Hayley's.. Possibly not). I was well behaved playing strictly, nervous, emotive stuff but thought I'd get a bit cheeky, my only claim to infamy is that I played Energy Flash and mixed a vocal acca over it at a soul night, kept it in the mix nearly all the way through and nearly got throttled by the soul crowd.

Oh how we laughed in casualty.

On cover ups, they keep records fresh, interest up, add an exciting element to the scene and delay exposure at worse. As soon as I see C/U it sparks a Pavlov dog response of ooooh what's that then.

Social source share

That's a fair point, and one which I had privately considered myself, hoping nobody would articulate! But, in the scheme of things, how many Kent reissues have emerged directly because of a record being covered up, and if the record was good enough, wouldn't it be worthy of a reissue anyway? In any case, I'm 100% sure that an eventual reissue is the iabsolute farthest thing from the mind of the person who does the initial covering-up!!!

lots of people have articulated that point, you just dont want to hear it because you're still living in this fantasy world where records sell because they are good. I guess because you dont want to accept, for your own reasons, that demand for your re-issues is created by the scenes that you dislike so much, and you sell them to people who are getting the cool sloppy seconds from real djs and collectors.

as much as you'd like to think that all this music would just sell to normal people and it'd be appreciated and would have survived without the scenes, it wouldn't. And the folks who buy your re-issues are doing so because, a few years earlier, the same sort of stuff was hip on one scene or other, whether they know it or not and whether you accept it or not :

• Helpful 1
Social source share

lots of people have articulated that point, you just dont want to hear it because you're still living in this fantasy world where records sell because they are good. I guess because you dont want to accept, for your own reasons, that demand for your re-issues is created by the scenes that you dislike so much, and you sell them to people who are getting the cool sloppy seconds from real djs and collectors.

as much as you'd like to think that all this music would just sell to normal people and it'd be appreciated and would have survived without the scenes, it wouldn't. And the folks who buy your re-issues are doing so because, a few years earlier, the same sort of stuff was hip on one scene or other, whether they know it or not and whether you accept it or not :

No they haven't. Not in any way clearly anyway, except for Dean. A lot of other things being said are rather muddled and unclear. 

I don't have my 'own reasons' for thinking authors deserve accreditation when other people make money off their work. This isn't an esoteric belief, as I've said several times, it's the generally accepted standard wherever other people's work is referenced or used in a commercial venture.

To deal with the point again, since you obviously feel it's pertinent. To what extent do cover-ups actually benefit artists in the long term with regard to them helping to create a demand eventually leading to a reissue? I would say it's got to be negligible and that the same effect could equally be achieved whilst crediting the artists in the first place, so long as the record is any good. In any case, it's a conceit to even go down that path of argument since a reissue is probably the farthest thing in the desire of the person originally doing the covering up. You yourself hold reissues in plain contempt - yet here you are using them to justify the use of cover-ups to eventually engender them, thus giving the artist some latter day exposure and recognition - exposure which you obviously don't really care about in the first place when the record is being covered up and are openly contemptuous about once the record is reissued. Is it just me or isn't there some hypocrisy and logical flaws here?

As to all the stuff about me and my this and that, whilst I don't have any desire to join a scene and get bogged down in its dogma, that doesn't mean I don't recognize the good that they can do and the worth they have. Cover ups and general cock-waving antics don't really fit into that bracket for me, however.

And I accept some of what you say about scenes creating and promoting demands for my and other people's reissues, I don't know why this is relevant to this issue, but fair enough, I accept that. I don't know why you seem to want to have a go at me about it though. Maybe you feel you deserve more, ahem, credit? 

Social source share

That's not the point at all. He/she can't pay their bills with thankyou's but I'm sure he/she appreciates them a whole lot more than fuckyou's.

I think you're tripping out now mate! Dont be so dramatic, how is playing a record in a club with confidence or at least hope that others will love it and dance to it, a 'fuckkoff' to the artist!? That's insane. You dont announce the records anyway, you play em, people hopefully dance and no one gives a fuck who the artist is except other djs. Where do I start the process of accreditation?

all through this thread you're substituting 'not doing something good' for ' doing something bad', as if by covering a record up, you're depriving the artist of something. Like if you dont give money to this childrens' charity you're stopping a child from going to disneyland. You still havent explained whether not djing at all is more acceptable than djing with cover-ups!

You're obsessed with djs egos, but every good dj i know is an average working man or woman. i djed years, got nothing out of it except the experience of djing, didnt want anything more than that, dudnt even really want that!

all thus preaching humility and morality and raging against the arrogance of scene djs, but the person who's milking it all the most...well, it's you!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, because you're missing the salient point - seemingly willfully as I don't believe you haven't identified it - which is that by playing it in clubs, posting it on youtube, putting it on playlists etc, you're seeking to achieve some benefit from that recording beyond your personal home enjoyment of it. Would an artist - conceivably - be put out by the notion of someone privately enjoying their record in their own home? Well, no, why on earth would he, unless they are somehow unhinged? Would an artist - conceivably - be put out by some DJ trying to make a name for themselves by retitling their song and their name in order to preserve their exclusive 'ownership' of it? Conceivably, I think you'd have to agree, 'yes'. Even if Bald Prick and the Knobheads wouldn't be offended.

A. What 'benefit' is the dj getting, really? It's a fucking hobby for christ's sake.

B. Honestly? I dont think the artist would give a fuck in either case. One is personal, the other grass roots, non profit culture, I think tbe artist would respect both.

C. Youre still missing the point about keeping the record at home. I mean that aren't I, by chosing to keep the record to myself, depriving the world of it and the artist the recognition. I just wonder why you dont care about that?

cheers

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It's really simple, so simple it shouldn't bear repeating but apparently it's still necessary. I think doing cover ups is basically juvenile ego driven cock waving and that it's also somewhat disrespectful to the author. You think it's the best way to honour an artist somehow, or at least that or whatever or that it's all too trivial or something. I'm never going to change my mind on that and in spite of what you say, that's got nothing whatsoever to do with my own ego or desire to conquer the world via reissues.

In fact, sod it, all this music I'm 'milking' more than anyone in the world, most of this wasn't discovered by the mod scene or soul scene, and they don't own it either way. Some of it was played on the popcorn scene before then, or the rockin scene, or the Pittsburgh scene, all of which have a culture of reissues, boots and cover-ups going back for years. Some of it even appears to have been 'uncovered' by me and my mates, if you'd believe that. It's old music, none of us invented it ourselves.

Social source share

Cliff Steele was daft enough to ask me to do a house set at one his nights in the early 90s (memory's gone west but it might have been his Birthday, or possibly Hayley's.. Possibly not). I was well behaved playing strictly, nervous, emotive stuff but thought I'd get a bit cheeky, my only claim to infamy is that I played Energy Flash and mixed a vocal acca over it at a soul night, kept it in the mix nearly all the way through and nearly got throttled by the soul crowd.Oh how we laughed in casualty.On cover ups, they keep records fresh, interest up, add an exciting element to the scene and delay exposure at worse. As soon as I see C/U it sparks a Pavlov dog response of ooooh what's that then.

Love Energy Flash, especially at a Soul Do.,,such a big track wasn't it... I think allot of folk on here will love the Garage type / DJ International stuff, it's soulful, but once you veer violently off towards Dance Opera, R&S, New Beat stuff... They can't get away fast enough... Personally I love it, its basically pure twisted aggression!!!! and I just can't find that in Soul Music, so it caters for that side of me....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's really simple, so simple it shouldn't bear repeating but apparently it's still necessary. I think doing cover ups is basically juvenile ego driven cock waving and that it's also somewhat disrespectful to the author. You think it's the best way to honour an artist somehow, or at least that or whatever or that it's all too trivial or something. I'm never going to change my mind on that and in spite of what you say, that's got nothing whatsoever to do with my own ego or desire to conquer the world via reissues.

In fact, sod it, all this music I'm 'milking' more than anyone in the world, most of this wasn't discovered by the mod scene or soul scene, and they don't own it either way. Some of it was played on the popcorn scene before then, or the rockin scene, or the Pittsburgh scene, all of which have a culture of reissues, boots and cover-ups going back for years. Some of it even appears to have been 'uncovered' by me and my mates, if you'd believe that. It's old music, none of us invented it ourselves.

Ok. Your argument seems to be based on two points, both of which I think are just personal bug-bears which you're trying to dress up as moral issues.

one is this perception you have of masculine egoism with djs, which, honestly, seems to loom large in your psyche. There may be examples of it, but you can find badly motivated examples of anything. The predominant purpose of a cover-up is to play a record to people so that they can enjoy the music - I'm always slightly mistrustful of people who cant decide whether to like something or not until they know all the peripheral info. - but to hide the information for a while, specifically from other djs and dealers, who are pretty much the only people who care anyway.

this friendly competition amongst djs is possibly one of the most positive and harmless examples of competition in human endeavor. It is extraordinarily middle class to be offended by it.

it is not testosterone fueled egoism to be mildly competitive, it is fun and an extra bit of motivation to djs who mostly face a world of indifference to their efforts.

secondly, you have the misconception of djs getting rewards, and this beibg the crux of your moral argument - that they are benefitting from others' art.

I think the benefit any dj is getting is so slight, it makes your argument look a bit ridiculous. The only people who milked it are people like keb, andy smith (?) etc, who took it to a professional level where your argument might stand up.

at the moment you're just attacking the little people who actually collectively fuel the whole thing, simply for the love of it.

the dancers and club goers get the most benefit from the djs efforts, by hearing great music. Doesn't matter how good the original artists were if noone ever hears it. You dont ever seem to want to acknowledge that point, in your strange, somewhat self-loathing, anti-dj crusade.

]

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest eulalie

I think you're tripping out now mate! Dont be so dramatic, how is playing a record in a club with confidence or at least hope that others will love it and dance to it, a 'fuckkoff' to the artist!? That's insane. You dont announce the records anyway, you play em, people hopefully dance and no one gives a f*ck who the artist is except other djs. Where do I start the process of accreditation?

all through this thread you're substituting 'not doing something good' for ' doing something bad', as if by covering a record up, you're depriving the artist of something. Like if you dont give money to this childrens' charity you're stopping a child from going to disneyland. You still havent explained whether not djing at all is more acceptable than djing with cover-ups!

You're obsessed with djs egos, but every good dj i know is an average working man or woman. i djed years, got nothing out of it except the experience of djing, didnt want anything more than that, dudnt even 

all thus preaching humility and morality and raging against the arrogance of scene djs, but the person who's milking it all the most...well, it's you!

Just to make one minor point here from a member of the audience's point of view, at some events (I've seen it at NS and RnB/mod events) some records are announced before they are played (I assume correctly credited).  I've also seen playlists posted up on here, other websites, Facebook etc after the event or alongside online mixes - in the vast majority of cases full credits are given, but yeah I've also seen c/u listed too.  As a music fan I care who the artist is.  I often google the name to find out about them, listen to/buy other tunes by them, to see if they are still around and performing and where I could get to see them.  I was well impressed to recently discover that one particular artist performs on the retired community home circuit in the US - I thought is this a 'thing' now and how I could get in on the action, hah. Maybe that's just me though, but just explaining here why I do care who the true artist is.

Anyway, the point about which we are arguing was summed up nicely and eloquently for me by someone not a million miles away from here who commented to me the following - 

'Covering something up is not the worst crime in the world - nobody said it was - but it surely isn't the most respectful thing you can do with someone else's work, is it?'

I'll leave the credit for that covered up for the time being, as I'm sort of quoting him out of context, so he can claim it or you can maybe guess who it was. Been good to debate the point with you all and I have taken away a few new perspectives - Thanks!

Edited by eulalie
Social source share

The fact is... The only people opposed to the use of Cover ups, are the ones desperate to own a copy of a record that someone else has put a lot of hard work into.. Finding em and then believing in them enough to introduce em as new tunes.. At the risk of clearing the floor!

All the reasons against are just methods to extract the details, emotional blackmail lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Are you talking to me?  I didn't say there was anything wrong with that.  I was explaining to someone else I think that there are people seeking out retired artists and giving them due recognition. I have nothing but total respect and admiration for their event.

But I think this kind of getting away from the point now.  I just keep asking the same question that at least one person, Mik, has bothered to answer above. Kudos to him for that.

We're getting bogged down here.I'm agreeing with you re; Dig Deeper and putting artist on etc.There's also many promoters in the UK who work hard to get singers and groups over here.

Social source share

Guest eulalie

We're getting bogged down here.I'm agreeing with you re; Dig Deeper and putting artist on etc.There's also many promoters in the UK who work hard to get singers and groups over here.

Yes I know, I consider myself fortunate to have attended some of these events in the UK.  I'm very grateful and appreciative to the organisers.

By the way, when I try to 'like' a post - it comes up with error 'you've reached your quota for positive votes'.  Hence my need to keep quoting people I agree with. 

Edited by eulalie
Social source share

"The predominant purpose of a cover-up is to play a record to people so that they can enjoy the music"

FFS, no it isn't!! The predominant purpose of playing a record publicly is so that people can enjoy the music. Covering the identity of that record has got literally nothing to do with anyone's enjoyment! It's done for entirely different reasons.

"I'm always slightly mistrustful if people who cant decide whether to like something or not until they know all the peripheral info."

Don't be so patronising. I understand it fine, it's not hard to understand. I just grew out of that kind of thinking some years ago. It's playground.

"this friendly competition amongst djs is possibly one of the most positive and harmless examples of competition in human endeavor"

Do me a favour! Are you taking the piss??

"It is extraordinarily middle class to be offended by it."

Oh right, it's a class thing!

"secondly, you have the misconception of djs getting rewards, and this beibg the crux of your moral argument"

No. Perhaps you're reading too much into the word is all. Benefits don't have to be large. By your own admission, cover ups are part of a competitive spirit. If there's nothing to be gained at all, what's the competition in aid of?

"at the moment your just attacking the little people who actually collectively fuel the whole thing, simply for the love of it."

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just saying I don't agree with the notion of covering up old records in 2014. This opinion isn't part of a wider attack on a besieged group.

Can I ask why you didn't ever cover anything up before? Honestly?

"Doesn't matter how good the original artists were if noone ever hears it. You dont ever seem to want to acknowledge that point,"

Because I don't think it's at all relevant. Covering up records isn't intrinsic to their exposure unless you specifically choose it to be so.

Many thousands of people play records publicly without feeling the need to keep their identity to themselves.

"in your strange, somewhat self-loathing, anti-dj crusade."

Why does everyone think I'm on a flipping crusade?!? Through finding cover ups mildly objectionable, I just have a slightly different opinion to you. There is no crusade!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I only downloaded Shazam recently to wind up a DJ I know who was ranting about people using it to steal 'his' music. Even still, I was surprised by its success rate testing it at home with a few moderately obscure records. Surely eventually, as more stuff is added to it, it's going to ruin everybody's cover-up fun, and perhaps end this debate (which probably wouldn't be a bad thing).

Social source share

I only downloaded Shazam recently to wind up a DJ I know who was ranting about people using it to steal 'his' music. Even still, I was surprised by its success rate testing it at home with a few moderately obscure records. Surely eventually, as more stuff is added to it, it's going to ruin everybody's cover-up fun, and perhaps end this debate (which probably wouldn't be a bad thing).

Perhaps you can then go online and reveal every bodies cover-ups so everyone has a fair chance to find copies as well giving your competition the chance to reissue said tracks before you.

That's surely the best way to share the music and morally the only way to do it ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used shazam to success once but that's because the said record was already out on a CD ..that ain't gonna happen with a butch ,Andy Dyson ,Mick H cover up is it !

And when I did find it ,I didn't tell the whole world just got me a cheap copy :)

Social source share

"The predominant purpose of a cover-up is to play a record to people so that they can enjoy the music"

FFS, no it isn't!! The predominant purpose of playing a record publicly is so that people can enjoy the music. Covering the identity of that record has got literally nothing to do with anyone's enjoyment! It's done for entirely different reasons.

"I'm always slightly mistrustful if people who cant decide whether to like something or not until they know all the peripheral info."

Don't be so patronising. I understand it fine, it's not hard to understand. I just grew out of that kind of thinking some years ago. It's playground.

"this friendly competition amongst djs is possibly one of the most positive and harmless examples of competition in human endeavor"

Do me a favour! Are you taking the piss??

"It is extraordinarily middle class to be offended by it."

Oh right, it's a class thing!

"secondly, you have the misconception of djs getting rewards, and this beibg the crux of your moral argument"

No. Perhaps you're reading too much into the word is all. Benefits don't have to be large. By your own admission, cover ups are part of a competitive spirit. If there's nothing to be gained at all, what's the competition in aid of?

"at the moment your just attacking the little people who actually collectively fuel the whole thing, simply for the love of it."

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just saying I don't agree with the notion of covering up old records in 2014. This opinion isn't part of a wider attack on a besieged group.

Can I ask why you didn't ever cover anything up before? Honestly?

"Doesn't matter how good the original artists were if noone ever hears it. You dont ever seem to want to acknowledge that point,"

Because I don't think it's at all relevant. Covering up records isn't intrinsic to their exposure unless you specifically choose it to be so.

Many thousands of people play records publicly without feeling the need to keep their identity to themselves.

"in your strange, somewhat self-loathing, anti-dj crusade."

Why does everyone think I'm on a flipping crusade?!? Through finding cover ups mildly objectionable, I just have a slightly different opinion to you. There is no crusade!

mate, your first quote chopped the second half from my sentense, completely changing the meaning. No point going on if that's how it is.

just like to say at this point, in case this whole massive non-issue gives the impression of mean-spiritedness or personal digs occurring on this site - despite our disagreements over certain things, I have complete respect for 'mr outsider' and what we have in common is far stronger than what we disagree on.

hate to sound like a hippy, but I'd like to commend the possibility on this site of having genuine grown up arguments without people crying or resorting to insults - a pretty rare thing.

Respect to all involved

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That's why we have the "like " button, so we don't need to quote and bog down the discussion with a full quote of post we've all already read.

Just saying like :)

Well it's just unfortunate we don't have a "Dislike" button eh!.... Sir Neville :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been reading this thread with interest and here's some thoughts. If you want to cover up records to stop other people knowing what the records are that's fine. If you want to play records out and let everybody know what they are that's fine too. If you want to re-issue records you love in the hope other people will love them too and hopefully make a few bucks for your troubles, that's fine. If you don't want buy re-issues and only collect originals then that's fine too. Everything's fine, what's the problem here?

An original record is still an original record even if the same record gets re-issued. If you only want to own records because nobody else has them or can get access to them (hence the cover ups) then that's fine too but I would suggest that that's not a healthy attitude towards a healthy record collecting habit but that's just my thought process and I'm not saying it's right but it is how I feel.

Record collecting can easily become an illness, I think it's important to understand that.

I try to remember to keep my record collecting habit 'fun', it's a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyable!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Are you a bootlegger :pirate:  Mr Outsider ? 

Social source share

Yes, sorry Mik, I read / wrote that in my vaguely hungover early morning fog. Missed the wider sentence. I'm not sure if there's much point in carrying this on anyway. For one thing, Mace has just stumped me, the bastard!

Well it's took me a good few years to get there!

I will add, the only time I have seen anyone using their phone to 'shazam' a track in a venue it has been DJs and collectors....the dancers do what they always do, dance and get lost in the music.

Which kinda sums up that it isn't important to most folk, just friendly rivalry amongst DJs.

Kinda like Thorsten waving an obvious 45 in your face that he found in a sales box you'd already been through and somehow missed....nows there's a bastard for ya!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've been reading this thread with interest and here's some thoughts. If you want to cover up records to stop other people knowing what the records are that's fine. If you want to play records out and let everybody know what they are that's fine too. If you want to re-issue records you love in the hope other people will love them too and hopefully make a few bucks for your troubles, that's fine. If you don't want buy re-issues and only collect originals then that's fine too. Everything's fine, what's the problem here?

An original record is still an original record even if the same record gets re-issued. If you only want to own records because nobody else has them or can get access to them (hence the cover ups) then that's fine too but I would suggest that that's not a healthy attitude towards a healthy record collecting habit but that's just my thought process and I'm not saying it's right but it is how I feel.

Record collecting can easily become an illness, I think it's important to understand that.

I try to remember to keep my record collecting habit 'fun', it's a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyable!

I hope you've got a tin hat on :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!