What The Hell Is Happening?

Actually Paul I think he'd just sha* himself btw didn't you do some dance classes for an upcoming media hyped film? Us old farts warned of this before Soul Boy & no one listened, it's great for media coverage just like the mid 70's but as Private Frazer would say, "we're doomed, we're all doomed". And thank you for a very good set at SoulFunktion, excellent. :hatsoff2:

Spot. :shades:

NO, in a word mate. Elaines Company ran a dance club for 3 years (in preparation for the film) and I basically organised it and invited people in. No steps were taught as we were trying to create a method that mirrored how we did it originally. Which was dance, observe, share, copy, invent. Of course we were making an historical film so it had to have some references to that period in terms of dancing and we would discuss these and point them out. It was 3 years to allow an organic process and one that had some real soul to it. The last year these sessions were some of the best i had been to in a long time....full of energy, a social group who travelled and looked forward to seeing each other and  a discovery and re-discovery of music. For many of them they were hearing what we call oldies for the first time and their joy and energy at hearing them, made me re-listen to stuff i was sick to death of hearing  hammered to death at mainstream events. They gave it a sort of new life (hard to explain, but it was real). I never taught one step in those sessions and often i would say just look and if you want to learn something ask the dancer to show you or try to mimic them. 

I really enjoyed Soul-Funktion, a breath of fresh air and the people there had great heart and soul, left me with a smile on my face.  :) 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

NO, in a word mate. Elaines Company ran a dance club for 3 years (in preparation for the film) and I basically organised it and invited people in. No steps were taught as we were trying to create a method that mirrored how we did it originally. Which was dance, observe, share, copy, invent. Of course we were making an historical film so it had to have some references to that period in terms of dancing and we would discuss these and point them out. It was 3 years to allow an organic process and one that had some real soul to it. The last year these sessions were some of the best i had been to in a long time....full of energy, a social group who travelled and looked forward to seeing each other and  a discovery and re-discovery of music. For many of them they were hearing what we call oldies for the first time and their joy and energy at hearing them, made me re-listen to stuff i was sick to death of hearing  hammered to death at mainstream events. They gave it a sort of new life (hard to explain, but it was real). I never taught one step in those sessions and often i would say just look and if you want to learn something ask the dancer to show you or try to mimic them. 

I really enjoyed Soul-Funktion, a breath of fresh air and the people there had great heart and soul, left me with a smile on my face. 

that's it then nowt spontaneous about this then , 3 years in the making ,that's just the dance rehearsals before filming ,

they don't practice that much for strictly and millions watch it every week ,

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

This is also an aim of mine, so far I have one ban and one warning but I do have about 40,000 posts.

Pete, as you know, I am an admirer of your diplomacy and your ability to suffer fools gladly, But if a 'Mint', like you averages one ban and one warning per 40,000 posts. I have no chance, I have 111 posts and a mild telling off to my collection. I will re-write my bucket list and start again.

Social source share

Pete, as you know, I am an admirer of your diplomacy and your ability to suffer fools gladly, But if a 'Mint', like you averages one ban and one warning per 40,000 posts. I have no chance, I have 111 posts and a mild telling off to my collection. I will re-write my bucket list and start again.

Pete,the Kofi Annan of SS. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I really enjoyed Soul-Funktion, a breath of fresh air and the people there had great heart and soul, left me with a smile on my face. 

that's it then nowt spontaneous about this then , 3 years in the making ,that's just the dance rehearsals before filming ,

they don't practice that much for strictly and millions watch it every week ,

I think you mis-understand mate. we basically created a dance club, like any dance club...100 club, Wigan, Cleethorpes etc. YOUNG people were invited to come and dance, enjoy the music and create a social circle based around their discovery and love of soul music.....I think your misunderstanding the word spontaneous. Because something has longevity, it doesn't negate spontaneity. If that were true, the night after the first Wigan or Torch or whatever would, in your interpretation, be rehearsed and un-spontaneuous. I never said we had dance rehearsals, thats your word, so i guess every time you go to an event more than once, your rehearsing it? Whats strictly, is that a ballroom dance thing? Millions watching anything is not, for me, a justification or affirmation of its worth or its method...in fact its usually the opposite. When we did 'Dead Mans Shoes' 1500 people went to see it in the UK on the first weekend! Terrible box office figures...but now its a stone cold classic.   Best P

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!