Help Me, Rhonda Davis

Guest Ollie Lailey

Guest Ollie Lailey

Hi,

Been checking out Eddie Pillars funk and soul show on BBC6 and he was nice enough to play a bit of northern! One record he played was Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember

Brilliant it was.......... What i was wonderin' is that is this really rare? Can you get a copy easy (nothing on ebay/manships) or is this just another record to add to my lottery wish list...........

cheers

ollie

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Been checking out Eddie Pillars funk and soul show on BBC6 and he was nice enough to play a bit of northern! One record he played was Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember

Brilliant it was.......... What i was wonderin' is that is this really rare? Can you get a copy easy (nothing on ebay/manships) or is this just another record to add to my lottery wish list...........

cheers

ollie

Hi Ollie,

It's The flip side of ace deepie 'Long Walk, On A Short Pier' on a Duke label 45.

It's an old spin of mine from circa 1980 and it is now an acknowledged classic.

Normally makes about £100 - £120 but has gone for less on eBay.

Happy hunting

:lol:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi,

cheers

ollie

Hi Ollie about £100 last time I saw one for sale .On Duke .ATB Stevie

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Hi Ollie,

It's The flip side of ace deepie 'Long Walk, On A Short Pier' on a Duke label 45.

It's an old spin of mine from circa 1980 and it is now an acknowledged classic.

Normally makes about £100 - £120 but has gone for less on eBay.

Happy hunting

:D

Sean Hampsey

Yes, one I initially bought for the deep side. pleasent surprise when I flipped it :thumbsup:

post-1832-1152661627.jpg

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Yes, one I initially bought for the deep side. pleasent surprise when I flipped it :thumbsup:

Yeh, me too Darren.

Flipped it over and Whhooosh! a Perfect Ann Sexton 'YBGTL' Soundalike that had been totally ignored.

I first spun it at Sheffield (KGB) but if you recall, I also played it a few times at Clifton Hall and it was an everplay in my Cleethorpes sets, early eighties, once it had started getting accepted.

Bound to get a spin at the upcoming CLIFTON HALL REUNION (Plug Plug).

See you there old chum!

Sean

Social source share

Bought this from Soul Bowl in about 1983 on the strength of Sean's review in Black Beat. It was £3. Happy days. As othershave mentioned the other side is an absolutely brilliant slice of suicide-soul, making it a great double sider. I agree with Tony in that it is overpriced given that it has never been in particularly short supply, but on a quality basis it more than justifies its price tag.

Social source share

Bought this from Soul Bowl in about 1983 on the strength of Sean's review in Black Beat. It was £3. Happy days.

Hi Gareth,

So the reviews worked then!

Been waiting 23 years for some feedback! :thumbsup:

The record took me a while to break at Sheffield and Clifton Hall etc. but Cleethorpes was a much more open minded scene than most, in order to break absolute unknowns.

Everything played seemed to go MASSIVE overnight... and most of them have sustained their popularity into this century (I always felt that, in some ways, we were ahead of our time).

Would be interesting to see what other tracks from the same period (Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes) have gone on to become classics and equally to see which have been consigned to the archives... and possibly due for reactivation.

You're right. Very happy days.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Everything played seemed to go MASSIVE overnight... and most of them have sustained their popularity into this century (I always felt that, in some ways, we were ahead of our time).

Would be interesting to see what other tracks from the same period (Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes) have gone on to become classics and equally to see which have been consigned to the archives... and possibly due for reactivation.

You're right. Very happy days.

Sean Hampsey

Biggest one for me at that time was Sydney Joe Qualls, Mick Godfrey played it me on a tape in the car outside the Winter Gardens, bought the L.P. off him and played it that night. Went big straight away, good old days early 80's.... :thumbsup::D

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Biggest one for me at that time was Sydney Joe Qualls, Mick Godfrey played it me on a tape in the car outside the Winter Gardens, bought the L.P. off him and played it that night. Went big straight away, good old days early 80's.... :D:thumbsup:

Mick Godfrey, theres a Blast from the past!

Had a few of bits off Mick that went on to become biggies at the time.

High Fashion - 'Hold On' on Capitol, Skip Mahoney 'Running' on Abet etc.

Smooth as a Baby's arse Mick.

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert