If You Had The Chance To Be In A Recording Studio/ What Record

:g: After watching the documentaries, Muscle Shoals and 20 Feet from stardom. I got to thinking "if you had your chance to be in a music studio when putting  one record together, what would the record be. Mine would be. If I could only be sure - Nolan Porter-ABC RECORDS 1972.with the Guitar Riffs and Piano work ;;; That must have been some session. Saw him do it at Richard Searling gig at Summer in the park at The Dunkenhalgh hotel. Accrington.

Hairs on the back of your neck tune. Rod Clegg :yes:

Edited by Rodders22
Social source share

Would love to be in on one of those big beaty New York type productions.... The orchestration does me in on those tunes. But really would love to have heard all the artists I either collect or dance too. One not enough rodders so gonna plump for 3!

Freddie Houston - if I had known

Jimmy Helms- you're mine you

Just Clay - haven't got what it takes

Then there's all the fabulous productions from Chicago I love etc etc .... Could go on all day

Social source share

:thumbsup: Great taste of Music Tiggerwoods, Chicago now your talking, all those great Brunswick tracks from Eugene Record and Co. One record comes to mind. Coldest day of my life- Chi-Lites. Feel really emotional when I hear this. Rod :thumbup:

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The Casanova Two's "We Got To Keep On" just the witness the intensity of one of the greatest male duets ever put to plastic....

Ian D :D

Ian did you ever see the performance of this on one of the Soultrip USA videos?  I hope I've got the right record. Freddie Hughes sang it.  He was just awesome.

Social source share

Ian did you ever see the performance of this on one of the Soultrip USA videos?  I hope I've got the right record. Freddie Hughes sang it.  He was just awesome.

No never seen that Pete. I just love the passion of Freddie Hughes' vocals. He's turned into one of my favourite vocalists over the last 40 years.......

Social source share

No never seen that Pete. I just love the passion of Freddie Hughes' vocals. He's turned into one of my favourite vocalists over the last 40 years.......

It's amazing mate, he is just totally brilliant, one of the best performances ever - and this is in the 90's or 2000's as well.

Social source share

The Casanova Two's "We Got To Keep On" just the witness the intensity of one of the greatest male duets ever put to plastic....

Oh yes, Freddie Hughes is one  half, don,t know who the other one is, but yes Ian, the two incredibly soulful diverse vocals, plus the intensity, powerful soulful stuff indeed

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

jackie wilson -to be loved

4 tops -something about you ,the funks were on fire with this track

marvin & tammi-aint no mountain high enough ,the intro with the drumsticks hitting off the side of the drums unique .

Two great Motown tracks there, and I think -to be loved/ Jackie Wilson was written by Berry Gordy. His AUTOBIOGRAPHY was named TO BE LOVED. Rod

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In Chicago in 1953, to watch The Flamingos recording "Golden Teardrops" with lefty Bates and his band, and all those great Chicago session players.  I WAS in Chicago for Christmas -New Years, and most of the summer.  But I was a "White" kid of only 8 years old.  So, naturally, I wasn't invited.  I think the session occurred in spring, before I arrived, in any case.  I DID get to meet some of the Blues and R&B singers at my uncle's grocery store on The South Side.  But i never met The Flamingos.

I might also have wanted to be in the studio in New York in 1955, when Okeh Recorded planned to record "Screamin'" Jay Hawkins singing several Blues cuts for an upcoming LP, and he (and his entire band) came in roaring drunk, and they ended up with a novelty album and a giant national hit single that vaulted his career to fame.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

To be in Stax Studios May 12th 1965 whilst in the company of Wilson Pickett, Wayne Jackson, Andrew Love, Charles Axton, Floyd Newman, Steve Cropper, Joe Hall, Duck Dunn and Al Jackson putting together  Pickett's immortal In The Midnight Hour

Social source share

Where ever Lacindy recorded the Man oh man session!

Aghmmmm Walter cough cough! Eh that sounded ok that. Is there any chance I could maybe take a cpl of copies of that when its pressed. Its a catchy wee tune that.

Yes really ! Sound, top lad !

Cool! N eh I Don't suppose you could play that again there fella. Yes? Appreciate it !

Your a gent.

Could ya imagine !!

Heaven

Clint

Social source share

The Vel-Vets "I Got To Find Me Somebody"

.....great vocal and instrumentation but it is the backing singers that make it stand out, they appear to get more excited as the record begins to fade.....'whooo'.........what a record.......I bet that studio was buzzin'!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To be in Stax Studios May 12th 1965 whilst in the company of Wilson Pickett, Wayne Jackson, Andrew Love, Charles Axton, Floyd Newman, Steve Cropper, Joe Hall, Duck Dunn and Al Jackson putting together  Pickett's immortal In The Midnight Hour

Good call Dave - same studios for me.  But the day in '62 when Johnny Jenkins' young driver stepped up to the mic and launched into 'These Arms Of Mine' .  No room for Cropper on guitar - he played the triplets on piano.  The legend that is Otis and quite possibly Southern Soul was born - and the rest is history!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Good call Dave - same studios for me.  But the day in '62 when Johnny Jenkins' young driver stepped up to the mic and launched into 'These Arms Of Mine' .  No room for Cropper on guitar - he played the triplets on piano.  The legend that is Otis and quite possibly Southern Soul was born - and the rest is history!

:thumbup:

Social source share

marvin & tammi-aint no mountain high enough ,the intro with the drumsticks hitting off the side of the drums unique .

Years ago I read that they were never in the studio together for  duets including ANMHE because Anna Gordy forbade it. Anyone know if that is true?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I'm tempted to say I would put an early Beatles session above anything else. :ohmy:

But soulwise I'm straight down to Memphis to be there when Otis records "I've Been Loving You" or "Try a Little Tenderness".

Thinking about it what about being there when Phil Spector recorded River Deep Mountain High or one of his all-time classics. Probably hours of interminable boredom, but out at the end pops a masterpiece. 

Social source share

:g: After watching the documentaries, Muscle Shoals and 20 Feet from stardom. I got to thinking "if you had your chance to be in a music studio when putting  one record together, what would the record be. Mine would be. If I could only be sure - Nolan Porter-ABC RECORDS 1972.with the Guitar Riffs and Piano work ;;; That must have been some session. Saw him do it at Richard Searling gig at Summer in the park at The Dunkenhalgh hotel. Accrington.

Hairs on the back of your neck tune. Rod Clegg :yes:

An ironic choice Rod,  because there is a bit of contention as to who played guitar - Johnny 'guitar' Watson or Lowell George?   your attendance would of been able to confirm it one way or the other :o)  it is also ironic in that a lot of the session men were an assortment of old hippies and ex Mothers Of invention - not your normal Soul 'heroes', but of course Nolan was not your regular Soul man or even saw himself as one! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!