Blackberries - Somebody Up There - Mowest 5020 (Unissued) - Test Press

The Blackberries - Somebody Up There - MoWest 5020 (Unissued) - TEST PRESSING

I thought this might be of interest?

I was recently sorting through a handful of test pressings I had bought a few years ago and realised I had a TEST PRESSING of the above MoWest 45. It is listed as unissued?

It is a 'Columbia Record Productions - Santa Maria - TEST PRESSING' with the Artist, Title, Label No and Stereo/Mono written in biro'. There is also what looks like a date hand-written in red biro '7/25' therefore I guess the date it was pressed was 25th July 1972?

It is a Stereo/Mono pressing of the top side, so the official B side (But I Love Him) is not on the other side.

Even though it is listed as unissued, does anyone know if demo's were pressed? I tried the Detroit/Motown forum but got no answer?

post-2772-0-30906900-1395651752_thumb.jp

post-2772-0-89067900-1395651766_thumb.jp

Cheers
Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi John

Thanks for the reply

Not 100% sure without checking the group members but i think Shirlie Matthews 'may' have been in the group as she wrote it?

There was definitely an 8 track LP recorded (incl this track) but that wasn't released, although i think possibly hip-o-select may have put it out on CD a few years back?

It is actually a pretty good early 70's funky soul femme mover (for want of a better description!)  :wink:

Just wondered if white demos ever sneaked out? I haven't seen any but that doesn't mean owt  :g:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Track Artist Title Composer Producer Arranger Rating A The Blackberries Somebody Up There Sherlie Matthews, Dennis Lussier Deke Richards, Sherlie Matthews Deke Richards, James Carmichael Rate B The Blackberries But I Love You More Sherlie Matthews, Frank Wilson Deke Richards, Sherlie Matthews James Carmichael Rate

Notes

Issued as a bonus 7" with the 5 CD set The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12a: 1972

Images

the-blackberries-but-i-love-you-more-mow

Comments

this might help Steve from 45cat.

ricky.

Social source share

Track Artist Title Composer Producer Arranger Rating A The Blackberries Somebody Up There Sherlie Matthews, Dennis Lussier Deke Richards, Sherlie Matthews Deke Richards, James Carmichael Rate B The Blackberries But I Love You More Sherlie Matthews, Frank Wilson Deke Richards, Sherlie Matthews James Carmichael Rate

Notes

Issued as a bonus 7" with the 5 CD set The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12a: 1972

Images

the-blackberries-but-i-love-you-more-mow

Comments

this might help Steve from 45cat.

ricky.

Thanks for that Ricky

I didn't realise it was issued with the 1972 CD box set?

Not sure when the box set came out but i'm presuming the test pressing i have is an original from 1972 and not a TP of the bonus 45?

Thanks again

Steve

Social source share

I'm pretty sure there was no blackberries 45 released on mowest.

i have a few mowest unissued test presses, i think a gc cameron and something else i can't remember right now.

Thanks Bob, I suspected as much  :thumbsup:

I just wondered, as there was a test pressing, whether any white demos were made from it?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert