Things In Records That Make You Shiver

Gilly

Guest eulalie

Jimmy Ricks' voice in just about every recording he has sang on, but I can't think of a better example than this. His take on the the line "Baby, you've got me beat up, down, inside out and across, ooh yeah!" - ahhh that illusive, but very real feeling!

Edited by eulalie
Social source share

Rockmasters Raining Teardrops   I think the whole song is mental but from 1:28 sec he kicks off big time until the end singing mainly on the up I think hes gone mental I know I do when I hear it.Find its a great way to get in the mood for a days work

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

I can't believe I am still hearing stuff recorded in 1967/8 for the first time in the last couple of weeks. It's very inspiring with my song writing. Indeed I just heared recently 'In the nick if time' by Toni Lamarr on Buddah Records. They just get better. In fact I just analysed the song with a view to it's structure, use of pre-hook and chorus key change. Also the drummer seems to be using ride rather than hi hat in places. It is on YouTube and about £30 from the record stores. Brill tune and shocked me when I heard it. Here is my analysis:

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/in-the-nick-of-time

The horns are slightly different, but in essence I have the structure now....

Actually it sounds very Teen Turbans (I think) 'Need to be loved'. I wonder if that was a Van McCoy Production?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

goosebumps?.....shivers down the spine??......there is ONE supreme hands down WINNER.....LINDA JONES, unquestionably, and without any shred of a doubt, THIS woman HAD IT ALL.  not an octave on the chart she couldn't reach...coupled with THE genius that was GEORGE KERR, her contributions to soul music are nothing less than SUBLIMINAL!..we could talk for eternity about wonderfully dynamic orchestrations and the legendary and integral sax break that is the trademark of many historic northern soul records, but only ONE ARTIST can contrive a "vocal break", if such a thing exists...and that would lead all and sundry to conclude that i speak of "MY HEART NEEDS A BREAK", a song in itself that could easily have doubled for a blockbusting 007 soundtrack, when from out of nowhere, bursts forth, a mind blowingly sumptuous mini-aria that is breathtaking, yet not beyond the realm of a woman, mature beyond her years...she takes it in her stride with ease, pitched within the confines of kerr's heartwrenching lyrics.

a true heroine of the northern soul saga, who seccumbed to diabetes, LINDA was taken from us, aged just 28 years in 1973, an incalculable loss in terms of her mastery of a meaningful song, her catalogue has no flaws, such was her very real greatness...had she lived, what price a performance on a stage in this country??.

I wish to associate myself with this post - nail and head.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't believe I am still hearing stuff recorded in 1967/8 for the first time in the last couple of weeks. It's very inspiring with my song writing. Indeed I just heared recently 'In the nick if time' by Toni Lamarr on Buddah Records. They just get better. In fact I just analysed the song with a view to it's structure, use of pre-hook and chorus key change. Also the drummer seems to be using ride rather than hi hat in places. It is on YouTube and about £30 from the record stores. Brill tune and shocked me when I heard it. Here is my analysis:

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/in-the-nick-of-time

The horns are slightly different, but in essence I have the structure now....

Actually it sounds very Teen Turbans (I think) 'Need to be loved'. I wonder if that was a Van McCoy Production?

...mmmmmmmm interesting

Social source share

Yep, with you on that mate.

Rose Royce's "Wishing" is class too - absolutely.

Peter

:thumbsup:

always regret not buying charles johnson in the 70's, still have my wants book with it in and sadly not crossed out.

rose royce what can i say CAR WASH is still one of my favourite films

kev

Social source share

goosebumps?.....shivers down the spine??......there is ONE supreme hands down WINNER.....LINDA JONES, unquestionably, and without any shred of a doubt, THIS woman HAD IT ALL.  not an octave on the chart she couldn't reach...coupled with THE genius that was GEORGE KERR, her contributions to soul music are nothing less than SUBLIMINAL!..we could talk for eternity about wonderfully dynamic orchestrations and the legendary and integral sax break that is the trademark of many historic northern soul records, but only ONE ARTIST can contrive a "vocal break", if such a thing exists...and that would lead all and sundry to conclude that i speak of "MY HEART NEEDS A BREAK", a song in itself that could easily have doubled for a blockbusting 007 soundtrack, when from out of nowhere, bursts forth, a mind blowingly sumptuous mini-aria that is breathtaking, yet not beyond the realm of a woman, mature beyond her years...she takes it in her stride with ease, pitched within the confines of kerr's heartwrenching lyrics.

a true heroine of the northern soul saga, who seccumbed to diabetes, LINDA was taken from us, aged just 28 years in 1973, an incalculable loss in terms of her mastery of a meaningful song, her catalogue has no flaws, such was her very real greatness...had she lived, what price a performance on a stage in this country??.

Agentsmith

I think your comments are 100% spot on. Linda has always been my queen of soul and theirs no rival. But I think she passed at 27 in 1972 I have only mentioned this as you are obviously a big fan.Check it out I may be wrong (wouldent be the 1st Time) I always thought the great My Heart Needs A Break was a 70s track but now I wonder if it was late 60s   MIck

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Kevin - that piano intro is unique isn't it! It works.

Jez - Van McCoy has a certain stamp on his tracks....especially singing as a girl on one of his productions I believe.

Don't forget the Soundcloud analysis I did on 'Nick', is not the original, just me laying down the groove to see how the structure worked. I decided to put the hand claps and tambourine on to give it a more organic feel.

Social source share

kevinsoulman, on 31 May 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

always regret not buying charles johnson in the 70's, still have my wants book with it in and sadly not crossed out.

rose royce what can i say CAR WASH is still one of my favourite films

kev

I had a Charles Johnson Kev. It was one of the records that I had stolen many moons ago.

Peter

Social source share

I just love the wonky sax break on There's No Stopping Us Now, and think a very similar break in I Guess I'll Always Love You is breathtaking. 

I think the only word I can think of to describe them is Melancholy.

Also love Levi's voice breaking towards the end of Can't Help Myself.

Really good thread.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

For me it has  to be  Alice Clark, the parts from where she says "Suddenly... watching you go.........  the whole build up through to the words you "Hit me hit me etc into the chorus" what a voice combined with a  brilliant musical arrangement and build up going on, now that gives me  a "Shiver",if thats what you call it ....then some more of the same besides.Classic all nighter soul at its most magnificent adrenaline rush shiver down and up your every bone in your body provoking  best .One of those many from back then(Among present day others I still do  on  hearing   the  first time )made you shiver and ask as soon as you heard it "Who sung that,whats it  called",one of those you continued to love and always will love one that never fails to give you that shiver"as they call it".By the way the intro gives me a shiver and for that matter every little bit of You hit me does just that raw emotion true all nighter style.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Dave Turner

KoKo Taylor's gutsy take of Etta's immortal "I'd Rather Go Blind" gave me a rush the first time ever I heard it.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dave Turner

A million miles from Northern but a multiple shiverer

The beginning, then end and everything in between

J Blackfoot - I Stood On The Sidewalk

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Yvonne Baker & the Sensations I cant change at 40secs & 1:47secs when she wraps that vocal round that single word change

Cashmeres, Dont let the door hit your back Intro that guitar intro then them drums is like a pied piper to the floor

Yum Yums, Gonna be a  Big thing also intro to this :)

Tropics, hey you little girl just sways along on a tide of emotion (bring a lump to the throat of a woman !)

Freddie Scott girl i need you the hole magical record but that way he delivers the vocal at 2:04 WOW then even better at 2:49

Billy kennedy sweet things drums are phenominal

Al green how can you mend a broken heart

up there with my top 5 faves but gotta be this live version just something about the delivery,s so special

Marlena shaw Go away little boy the way the instruments and the vocal marry up perfectly, just swings along with a gr8 little story line getting spoken then WHAM! just as its plodding along she hits you with the delivery of Go away little boy at 2:47 then biulds to a creshendo of exquisite female vocals

Theres just so many, I,m getting carried away now & have to go play some tunes as ive got a very warm glow and magic feeling coming over me, but before i go got leave you with my ultimate complete record which is the Dells Make sure WOOOooooSh !

atb Charlie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There's so many but the one that gives me goose pimples every time is Jimmy Radcliffes, Long After Tonight is all over.

From start to finish pure magic. 

Social source share

Virgil Henry "Ain't saying nothing new". The whole chorus part.

Bobby Cutchins "I did it again".    "The wall I built just came tumbling down................brick by brick."

Jerry Warren "I really love you".     Trumpet break.

Skip Mahoney "Janice".   "I feel just like a wolf up in the hills..........roooooah".

William Bell "The man in the street".   "The man in the street, the common people"

The Innersection "I'm in debt to you".  The whole chorus part about what she can have.

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

JOHNNY SALES - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH of your love instrumental  break half way thru awesome

YES! I heard this for the first time the other week, so powerful, nearly took my bloody head off.
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Ree Flores - Look into my heart,

the machine gun intro, the singing, the words, "damage has been done" complete package.

Arin Demain - Silent Treatment.

again fantastic intro and the way the tempo changes

Lee Rogers - How are you fixed for love

complete package.

Ree Flores, again, so powerful.fabulous. Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!