Soul Patrol (johnny Vaughan) On You Tube

Its each to their own really,personaly i dont get involved with the frivolities kirsty and as long as they dont affect me or if its at one of my venues dont annoy anybody else thats fine,as for soul patrol think its the wrong way to potray the scene imo of course.

I take it you didn't stand too close to Mr Shaw when he'd been at the apple juice and decided that a spin was in order :thumbsup: Human skittles? He was the bloody original bowling ball!!

Personally I thought the whole idea of going to a soul venue was to enjoy yourself, and yeh with the proviso, no-one or their property gets hurt, I don't mind people having fun.

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest biggles

Is it just me or does any one else think things like this just make us (as a scene) a laughing stock, might as well have gave em bag's and a beer towel and put a 'big top' up too, just encouraging people to take this p*ss IMO.

Come on Mr Soulfulsaint when are you going to get a proper documentry out, with out the same tried and tested backing track, the same tried and tested 'past it' DJ's the same tried and tested footage and emphisise on the 'coolness' about it all. give the public something to say yeah thats underground.

People dancing about on lino- at peoples work please :thumbsup: some of you wonder why you get piss takers coming along to your nights there is your answer :(

Thats how I saw it..........F*ck off JV

Social source share

I remember seeing these on Johnny's show and wished they would come to my place of work... I would have joined them on that talc'd lino :thumbsup:

Deffinately do likewise, If they ever turn up at anywhere i am ime on the Lino with em!

That would throw a spanner in the works :( !

Social source share

Whooooooooooooooa - incoming, take cover !!!!!

As the originator of the thread I'm dumbfounded. Given the offence caused to so many I'm wondering who the psychos are that I've been sharing so many hours of my night life with - thank god I didn't casually mention "did you see Soul Patrol on telly" - Taliban fundamentalists or what !

Probably the same ones who fly into eye popping, vein bulging, neck spinning rages when I dare to mention the word soul, cd and great in the same sentence !

Methinks Johnny Vaughan if he ever read this thread would be fully entitled to do a sketch with the Soul Enforcers fully dressed in Wigan uniform raiding unofficial nighters and smashing any sounds not on their lists - stoning anyone incorrectly dressed & sending anyone with cd's in their possession to re-education camps (in Wigan)

Bloody hell - I saw nothing but a tongue in cheek pi** take which actually juxtaposed (hey big word there) the normality and drudgery of normal life with the fun and individuality of the Northern Scene.

As for deterring younger folk from taking up the music, I think that the pc responses and attitudes will do far more to achieve this than any light hearted telly programme.

Going for a lie down in a dark room - to watch Johnny Vaughn !

Social source share

Bloody hell - I saw nothing but a tongue in cheek pi** take which actually juxtaposed (hey big word there) the normality and drudgery of normal life with the fun and individuality of the Northern Scene.

"fun and individuality" half a dozen geezers wearing expressionless faces all dressed and dancing in much the same style.... woulda got the same or better "hilarious" reaction if you had transplanted, morris dancers, human cannonball, set up a football or boxing match or a host of other impromptu events in the normally subdued surroundings of a workplace, lazy tv.

And like Morris dancing its a passion for some who would get fed up of seeing the usual and obvious quirkiness being laughed at on Nobheads national tv show.

danny

Often laugh at me self but this is old hat sit-com stuff.

danny

Social source share

Cheers Soulgirl & others in the relaxed camp.

Having just ventured back into the light, I really think that some of the responses to what was meant as a very light hearted thread, highlight why our "community" is sometimes viewed as insular and detached - we sometimes (often!) take ourselves far too bloody seriously, particularly when exposed to non believers !!

Surely a major indication of the strength and maturity (and appeal) of any individual or group is the ability to laugh at themselves and through this understand how others may see them. Even though this may involve parody or cheap jibes, surely it's all fair game - although I didn't actually see the Soul Patrol item as any form of pi** take on ourselves as explained earlier. Quite the opposite in fact - didn't it suggest that we are recognised as a group of people that turn the mundane into joy just by dancing to our music.

If Christianity can take Life of Brian surely we can handle a sketch on Johnny Vaughan.

We could always go the Salman Rushdie, Satanic Verses route and issue a fatwah death threat against anyone that dares criticise our scene in a manner that is perceived to be unflattering - watch the kids flock to join us !

As for such a lighthearted item putting anyone off from getting interested in the music, I assume this argument would be supported by analysis that Spinal Tap was the nail in the coffin for Rock Music ! Methinks not.

Off to polish my CDs -Sax (Haydn the obnoxious to those that want to stick pins in effigies)

Edited by Saxafone
Social source share

Saxafone (Hayden) im sure you read too far into my posts, its only discusion and was only airing my views on the whole subject :thumbsup:

You compare it to the life of brian, but where that is a very well put together 'piss take' of christianity/the church/religion in the hunt for 'the holy grail' and is known by any one whos attended school so they have an understanding of the whole concept, how ever with the soul patrol (wild stab in the dark) 90% of people who've seen it proberly have no understanding of the concept of northern soul or even herd of it. Johnny V's soul patrol will be giving millions of veiwers their first impressions of northern soul, and first impressions count for every thing :thumbsup:

P.S im not as serious or take the scene as serious as you may think :thumbsup:

Social source share

Saxafone (Hayden) im sure you read too far into my posts, its only discusion and was only airing my views on the whole subject :thumbsup:

You compare it to the life of brian, but where that is a very well put together 'piss take' of christianity/the church/religion in the hunt for 'the holy grail' and is known by any one whos attended school so they have an understanding of the whole concept, how ever with the soul patrol (wild stab in the dark) 90% of people who've seen it proberly have no understanding of the concept of northern soul or even herd of it. Johnny V's soul patrol will be giving millions of veiwers their first impressions of northern soul, and first impressions count for every thing :rolleyes:

P.S im not as serious or take the scene as serious as you may think :lol:

Fair points, Baz. However, do we really care how the scene is perceived?

Every now and again the media will plunder the scene for its perceived cool to sell things to the unsuspecting (although catfood was a strange one!) but surely the scene has broad enough shoulders to laugh it off and forget about it.

I like the fact that the idiots who were daft enough to waste their time watching Vaughan's drivel think badly of the Rare Soul Scene and don't really have an understanding of this thing of ours.

Anyway - if people wanted to have a giggle at our expense all they would need to do is to look at the photo gallery of this very website! :huh:

Social source share

Only just found this due to Angela (Mrs Shute) ringing me up and telling me to watch it .. she was laughing her head off ... but more so to the posts on here that took it all too serious :thumbsup:

Loved it ... wish they'd come to my works ... brilliant :D:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert