Soul Patrol (johnny Vaughan) On You Tube

• Replies 64
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andycambs

I'm not claiming I can speak French, but I don't think the guy at the end really say's "I loved it" thumbsup.gif . Anyone confirm???

Andy

Social source share

I remember seeing these on Johnny's show and wished they would come to my place of work... I would have joined them on that talc'd lino thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Is it just me or does any one else think things like this just make us (as a scene) a laughing stock, might as well have gave em bag's and a beer towel and put a 'big top' up too, just encouraging people to take this p*ss IMO.

Come on Mr Soulfulsaint when are you going to get a proper documentry out, with out the same tried and tested backing track, the same tried and tested 'past it' DJ's the same tried and tested footage and emphisise on the 'coolness' about it all. give the public something to say yeah thats underground.

People dancing about on lino- at peoples work please thumbsup.gif some of you wonder why you get piss takers coming along to your nights there is your answer :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agree with baz 100% just makes us look like twats to joe public.

But aren't Joe Public twats to us?

Just showed my Mrs the clip, she's upstairs changing her undies thumbsup.gif

Social source share

"They weren't professional. But good." :thumbsup:

very funny thumbsup.gif

The ring leader Pete Kelross is a mate of mine. But it caused me to re-evaluate everything the day he told me that he got paid for dancing! It was strange experience, similar to the day when due to BSE McDonalds announced they were no longer selling hamburgers.

Social source share

Is it just me or does any one else think things like this just make us (as a scene) a laughing stock, might as well have gave em bag's and a beer towel and put a 'big top' up too, just encouraging people to take this p*ss IMO.

TOTALLY agree with you here Baz. It's a particularly nasty piss take too from a bunch of overpaid media arseholes.

Social source share

To most people with the 'soulie mentality' yes!

One thing i cant stand is when your at a do and joe public turns up, then you get 'soulies' scouring at them.

Was out with my good friend a couple of weeks ago and we were in a pub with a bit of a do on it was all bordered off but a few of the locals were in, wernt doing any thing wrong just having a dance and a laugh but he started to point at them, and told him to pack it in, they've got as much as a right to be here as us, we're not above any one! its people pointing at them and giving them looks what'll make them lash out, leave em be.

Any way back to the original (sort of) question, 'soul patrol' aint doing us no favours :thumbsup: showing the 100 club in full swing with 'oh baby dont you weep' pounding while the dancers are at it will make us look underground, not some blokes thinking they can dance on a bit of lino covered in talc thumbsup.gif

It was meant to be tongue in cheek. Thats why they used scooterists, not soulies.

Dont mater still makes us look daft.

Social source share

One thing i cant stand is when your at a do and joe public turns up, then you get 'soulies' scouring at them.

Was out with my good friend a couple of weeks ago and we were in a pub with a bit of a do on it was all bordered off but a few of the locals were in, wernt doing any thing wrong just having a dance and a laugh but he started to point at them, and told him to pack it in, they've got as much as a right to be here as us, we're not above any one! its people pointing at them and giving them looks what'll make them lash out, leave em be.

Any way back to the original (sort of) question, 'soul patrol' aint doing us no favours :thumbsup: showing the 100 club in full swing with 'oh baby dont you weep' pounding while the dancers are at it will make us look underground, not some blokes thinking they can dance on a bit of lino covered in talc thumbsup.gif

Dont mater still makes us look daft.

But we are daft!! actually I reckon half of us mentally deranged.... I took delivery of some white promos for the collection this morning, went to file away Tami Lynn I'm gonna run away..Nice spanking new Cottilion white promo....filed it with two others that I'd forgot I had :D

Stop taking the NS scene so serioulsy....be like me just besotted :D

Social source share

Guest trickbag

wot no girls,,just five fruits dancing on a bit of lino.

thats what they think,totaly ignorant. :ohmy:

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Social source share

wot no girls,,just five fruits dancing on a bit of lino.

thats what they think.

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Exactely because thats their first impressions, you would say the same :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

:)

Not to me - people on the Soul Scene are no better than my mates off the scene.

Nothing against the lads who are in it, sure they had little say over the editing but Baz is right it makes the soul scene look daft. The way it is edited: dancer on lino - cut close up to bemused onlooker cut back to dancer with serious face whilst spinning - the way I've interpreted it the premise is to create a comic spectacle with the lads and conventions of the scene (talc, dancing, claps, spins) at the centre, which is does well.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

the one when they're at B&Q is the best

i took a non soulie mate out with me one night and he thought the sight of grown men off they're tits and chewing like cows was far more entertaining than watching them dance :)

Social source share

Was out with my good friend a couple of weeks ago and we were in a pub with a bit of a do on it was all bordered off but a few of the locals were in, wernt doing any thing wrong just having a dance and a laugh but he started to point at them, and told him to pack it in, they've got as much as a right to be here as us, we're not above any one! its people

pointing at them and giving them looks what'll make them lash out, leave em be.

Completely agree with your observations Baz, some soulies are very paranoid :) , I've had conversations with non soulies who've never heard the music before think it's really great and catchy and want to hear more.

I can remember when the 'Soul Patrol' was on the Johnny Vaughn (who is into Soul, by the way) show and a few blokes at work the next day said it was great and they loved the Northern Soul dancers and thought the music was good.

Anyway, I think youngsters, especially today are very tolerant of any underground musical scene and are keen to learn. Not the silly little teenage girls cacked in make-up (my 2 daughters for a start!) but lads who are into Hip-Hop etc....believe me, they know who Curtis Mayfield, Impressions, O'Jays....blah blah are that's for sure.

Northern Soul encompasses a vast array of styles and to be honest, some does sound dated, but you blast Luther Ingram 'If It's All The same To You Babe' out of the speakers and tell me anyone who's half hip (dated word!!??) doesn't feel the quality, a quality that will never date no matter how many musical styles they invent!

Soul is a very hip, happening, dope, phat, bad...(or whatever word you choose to describe it by, young or old) musical genre.

Quality always shines through!

But...I can see how some of the great unwashed perceive Northern Soul, I remember a mate of mine convincing these two lovely ladies we met in a local pub to accompany us to an all-nighter, I presume they thought "ooh, some dancing to soul music, sounds alright".... they paid their entrance fee (about £8) and got the shock of their lives! They did like the music but couldn't understand the dancing! Suffice to say we didn't get our legs over that night!!!! :)

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

As a 'soulie' I loved The Soul Patrol! I'm not embarrassed and I don't think it shows us in a bad light either.

As far as I'm concerned, it was light hearted, tongue in cheek and would have given the onlookers something to think about, check out and possibly get into. I suspect 99% of those onlookers didn't even know about Northern Soul. Now they do... YIPEEEE :)

Social source share

As a 'soulie' I loved The Soul Patrol! I'm not embarrassed and I don't think it shows us in a bad light either.

As far as I'm concerned, it was light hearted, tongue in cheek and would have given the onlookers something to think about, check out and possibly get into. I suspect 99% of those onlookers didn't even know about Northern Soul. Now they do... YIPEEEE :)

Yeah surprised by some of the above comments. I agree with you Karen (well dunno about loved but..) And this from the man who complained to McDonalds ad agency for the northern music usage in their ads.

Social source share

Yes i take it as light hearted and tongue in cheek, but why is it when ever we are precived on in the media, its either tongue in cheek or completely off the source of todays scene, its not doing the scene any favours IMO, most of my non scene friends think its strange all ready with out the aid of Johnny Vaughn and his bloody soul patrol, its a piss take at the end of the day just wish some one would actually make somthing worthwhile to give a proper view of our scene, not one that will fuel a piss take, so what if some twenty somthings turned up at a do, hey look im like the 'soul patrol' im sure they would be met with unwelcomed glances :)

It's time something was done and showed the scene for what it really is an uderground movement :P

Social source share

What ever 'anyone' does media wise about the soul scene will always upset someone :)

Besides, it is a strange scene! Accept it girl_haha.gif

Social source share

Guest kid mohair
Yeah, sorry about that! I have that effect on a lot of people kid mohairknitting.gif
nah your ok ,you gave me a bag to hold at gleggy, and took a photo , mmm, the guy in the brown shirt :) lol. :)
Social source share

Oh! girl_haha.gif

You also made it into my review about that photo... you weren't very impressed as I remember :)

CIMG0921.jpg

Edit: changed blog for review!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

As far as I'm concerned, it was light hearted, tongue in cheek and would have given the onlookers something to think about, check out and possibly get into. I suspect 99% of those onlookers didn't even know about Northern Soul. Now they do... YIPEEEE :lol:

Great bunch of lads they were at the rocket in the early days some of there dance moves are out of this world there all over there 40's you try and complete no chance.

Billy whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

From what I can see on the clips it looks pretty much like what I do apart from they probably dance a little better! From my memories we have always been a source of amusement to the uninformed eg baggy trousers upto our chests. The main point is that its a unique scene where blokes can dance side by side freely without ridicule and the music is beyond comparison. Regards Ade

Social source share

As someone who doesn't go to venues much these days other than the Orwell - The dancing thing is what the press latch on to. In most parts of the country blokes of our generaqtion won't even get up and dance with a woman, let alone on their own, so we are different from the majority to begin with. Add to that the style of dancing and you've got two reasons to be different. I have to confess I have two styles of dancing, one for Northern soul( and the kitchen floor) and one for weddings.

The music is another issue, play any quality northern track to anyone who appreciates music generally and you get a positive response. Play a good quality track behind an advert or in a documentary and people prick up their ears.

Add the two things together and you have a scene - like minded people meeting up to share their enjoyment of the same thing. No different than barn dancing or salsa dancing ( except you get to rub up against the opposite sex with the latter )

I suppose what I am saying is that we are paranoid - and yes they are out to get us

Social source share

Guest Rowly

I always loved this... cracked me up at the time...and did again now - Sorry Baz! whistling.gif The call centre one is class... would've loved to come to my work - I'd have been right up & on that floor with them, same as Karen.

Not seen the Paris clip before.....

Social source share

Err I thought (not that it counts for much thumbsup.gif ) that it was absolutely hilarious, not once did I think the piss was being taken out of the scene. Having only just rediscovered my sense of humour after a particularly bad year it was just what I needed.

My 15yr son, who, without any pressure from me, has taken to playing MY music, as he calls it, thought they were bloody brilliant, and 'can we have them at the shop Mum, they'll go down a storm'

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

being one of the younger ones amongst us (i'm 38, and i'm joooooooooooooooking!!!)

it's be great if somewhere in the country a group of 18/19 year olds picked up on northern soul and the press got a hold of THAT!! i would love it if the scene got an injection of youngsters - sure it would have its pitfalls, but it'd be great i think. the problem over the last 10/15 years outside the scene is that jazz and funk have been promoted as 'cool' and soul hasn't. so i don't think that because our music is old no youngster will like it - i work in a (rough) school , and there's quite a few arctic monkeys etc fans who like a bit of the who and motown etc - they are one step away from becoming soulies - how many of us started off as (ahem) plastic mods atr school? i did - the jam etc - also rode scooters up to 1993, but only the soul has stuck.

we gotta make it look cool if we wanna sell it, and a bunch of balding blokes dancing quite 'carefully' coz they're cracking on a bit doesn't look cool (ps i'm one of these blokes who dances carefully due to a dodgy knee these days)

brinns me on to another point - i'm from hull but grew up in dundee on account of my dad's job - and used to go to allnighters at the caird/marryat halls - and this was early 1980's so they weren't rammed - but was TRULY AMAZING was watching a bunch of BLOKES doing the most amazing dancing you will ever see - i#d sometimes go along just to watch them - it held a fascination - it was very much a 'dancers scene'. would you say it was now?

Social source share

very funny....

Andy, I can understand you taking offence as you come accross as that kinda guy :lol::lol:

But Baz? You younguns ain't got NO sense of humour!! Whether we like it or not, we are a bunch of saddos.

Some peoples heads are so far up there own arses that they think they are above ridicule. But then again, these are the same people that look upon people that take "toys" to nighters as idiots? Goodness only knows what they think of girls that can get complete strangers to play human skittles thumbsup.gif:yes:

Come on we have to laugh at ourselves! We all look better with a smile on our face

Social source share

very funny....

Andy, I can understand you taking offence as you come accross as that kinda guy :yes::yes:

But Baz? You younguns ain't got NO sense of humour!! Whether we like it or not, we are a bunch of saddos.

Some peoples heads are so far up there own arses that they think they are above ridicule. But then again, these are the same people that look upon people that take "toys" to nighters as idiots? Goodness only knows what they think of girls that can get complete strangers to play human skittles thumbsup.gif:(

Come on we have to laugh at ourselves! We all look better with a smile on our face

It was more to start a bit of a debate going really, we've not had a good un for a little while :lol:

Come on Kirsty no sense of humour, this is a guy who carrys a lightsaber and duct tape around in his nighter bag :lol:

As for human skittles well your just nuts :yes:

Social source share

In most parts of the country blokes of our generaqtion won't even get up and dance with a woman, let alone on their own, so we are different from the majority to begin with. Add to that the style of dancing and you've got two reasons to be different. I have to confess I have two styles of dancing, one for Northern soul( and the kitchen floor) and one for weddings.
As a paid up member of the grumpy old men club I do not dance at weddings, family partys etc and always watch in amusement at the "I`ve just shit my pants" style of dancing that most men of my age manage after being pressured by their wives to dance.

But you see me at a soul night or nighter and try keeping me off that dance floor so lets be proud of our scene and f**k what anyone else in their ignorance thinks of it.

Having said that if any young people saw the soul patrol do you think thay would be gagging to join our scene.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Its each to their own really,personaly i dont get involved with the frivolities kirsty and as long as they dont affect me or if its at one of my venues dont annoy anybody else thats fine,as for soul patrol think its the wrong way to potray the scene imo of course.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert