John Manship Auction Results 12-2-2014

JOE TORQUAY

well done to chris king who made it a big sound

With respect Mark, I was with Chris when he bought his copy off Pete Coulson, in fact I had the copy with me and they did the deal over the phone, late 90's, maybe very early 00's,

It was massive in the North West at the time with Terry Davies probably getting behind it it more than anyone,

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

I love the Constellations, such a feel good tune, brilliant atmosphere and fantastic vocals. A bit like this one by the Manhattens which is a tiny fraction of the price, but very similar.

This is the first time i have heard this track and it certainly made me want to get up and dance.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

With respect Mark, I was with Chris when he bought his copy off Pete Coulson, in fact I had the copy with me and they did the deal over the phone, late 90's, maybe very early 00's,

It was massive in the North West at the time with Terry Davies probably hammering it more than anyone,

Remember Pete having that, did he get about £200 for it?

Social source share

Remember Pete having that, did he get about £200 for it?

Wasn't going to mention the price Jim as Pete's on here, any way it was £250 :D

Was one of the first records I looked for (that I could probably afford at the time) when Terry decided to sell up, somebody beat me to it :(

Acquired one not long after though :yes:

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Nev - I'm pretty sure it's 20% commmachineso the seller gets £600 which is pretty good compared to the price it would fetch at an allnighter.

A VG copy sold for £400 on eBay ,but seller did say it plays better ,well it had been cleaned on a VPI machOK ine :)

Being as i keep a keen eye on a lot of sales lists ,ive seen a fair few records auctioned on here and ebay ,go for massive prices ,that would have not done any better on JM's ,jnfact some of em wouldnt even get on JM's due to cond lol

Social source share

I was thinking Mark meant Constellations Chalky, maybe not, and if not my last couple of posts are a totally pointless, :lol: oh well nothing new there then

Many DJ's had the 45, many bought them both together in the 80's/early 90's so for me it wasn't a case of anyone particular DJ making either Constellations a big record but the fact that many had them and it/they was played everywhere you went form the 80's up to the present day.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Many DJ's had the 45, many bought them both together in the 80's/early 90's so for me it wasn't a case of anyone particular DJ making either Constellations a big record but the fact that many had them and it/they was played everywhere you went form the 80's up to the present day.

I'm not disputing that Chalky, assuming Mark meant the Constellations I was merely pointing out that at the time Chris got his copy it was exactly as you say above, although at that particular time I associated it with Terry more than anyone else, but that's just me, like you say any amount of DJs had it in their collections,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pardon my ignorance in advance, but why does buying off Manship mean paying such a premium (is it solely due to the fact that it is off such an esteemed dealer)?

In this day and age of the internet (and indeed Johns own publications on the matter) authenticity can't be a factor.

And even on e bay surely no one would pay any kind of money for a record without there being a copper bottomed returns policy in place.

Social source share

You got it wrong its commission at 20% making 200 then 20% of that is VAT if its all being done legitimately making another 40 ...a grand deduction of 240.00 from the selling price...if it sold for 1,000

Keep up at the back there...£200 commission and £200 VAT leaves the owner of the record with about £600...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well she didn't write the song...but you could write better songs than the Poindexters!!!  F**k me sometimes I wonder!

So you are saying every song they wrote is a gem? Get real, even the best have bad days. Every component is there, except the song. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Social source share

And %20+%20=%40, in this case, a deduction of £400 making IDKAY a £600 sound. I doubt we will see IDKHT becoming an auction record in this class...

:no: VAT is paid on annual turnover by the trader, not the seller of an individual record. If the seller sells loads of records and makes the VAT threshold he may need to worry about VAT, but in this case JM only acts as a "broker" or middle man…..so VAT not payable at 20% on £1000….Sorry.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

:no: VAT is paid on annual turnover by the trader, not the seller of an individual record. If the seller sells loads of records and makes the VAT threshold he may need to worry about VAT, but in this case JM only acts as a "broker" or middle man…..so VAT not payable at 20% on £1000….Sorry.

Steve - thanks for clarifying this. I assumed that VAT was factored into all sales individually. At one stage, John maintained that the valuations in the Price Guide included 20% VAT but evidently it works differently for records sold on a commission basis.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve - thanks for clarifying this. I assumed that VAT was factored into all sales individually. At one stage, John maintained that the valuations in the Price Guide included 20% VAT but evidently it works differently for records sold on a commission basis.

The vat is worked out on the quarterly buying and selling of that period (3 months), but 'for arguments sake', John is correct on his vat summery (give or take)

So what's the general opinion folks? - Which is better 'I don't Know About You, or I Didn't Know How To'?

Answer -  'I Didn't Know How To'  :)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQRFuAdVoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7cHcSSvpw&feature=kp

.......Actually, now I've had another listen.......I'm not sure again :huh:  :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The vat is worked out on the quarterly buying and selling of that period (3 months), but 'for arguments sake', John is correct on his vat summery (give or take)

So what's the general opinion folks? - Which is better 'I don't Know About You, or I Didn't Know How To Tell You'?

Answer -  'I Didn't Know How To Tell You'  :)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQRFuAdVoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7cHcSSvpw&feature=kp

.......Actually, now I've had another listen.......I'm not sure again :huh:  :D 

Nice one Len. I like the white label as someone's written on the pink one...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you didnt know this record,,,,,,have you been in the antarctic or something for the past 10 years

Far too South for me (being up here in the frozen north, Edinburgh). Maybe not been to the right places (i don't get out as often as i used to) to hear it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!