Contempo-Raries Series - Solid And 4-Prong Centres

Premium Stuff

Hi everyone

Anorak question  :D

UK collecting is not my thing, so I just wondered if there was any difference, from a collecting point of view, to the UK Contempo-raries depending on whether they are pressed with a solid centre or a push out four-prong centre please?

Couple of examples I know of that are on both formats are Chris Jackson - I'll Never Forget You [subsequently corrected that this was on Soul City - but there are solid and 4-pronged versions on that label also] and Deon Jackson - Love Makes The World Go Round. However, for all I know, every Contempo-raries release might have come out on both formats.

Anyone fill me in on the details please?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Chris Jackson didn't come out on Contempo Raries.

Sean

Doh! you're sure right there Sean. It was Soul City  :thumbsup:

Tired when I wrote it - and was confused by the similar pink coloured label I guess.

That said, the question still applies to both records/labels - why the two different pressings and does it make a difference?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hello Richard,

A lot of UK 45s were available with both solid centres and "optional" 4-prong centres - and sometimes with fully 'dinked' centres, most typically from Polydor/Phonogram.

Most 45s are pressed with solid centres and are dinked in an additional operation, originally to give the option of making them (or some of them) suitable for jukeboxes etc.  These days many UK 45s are dinked just to give them more of a US style.

I prefer UK 45s to have solid centres or 4-prong optional centres which are rarely seen these days.  I pressed a few of my Selecta and Shotgun 45s with both solid centres and dinked centres just in case some people had a "fetish" for one styles or the other   :ohmy:  ...and no doubt one day some collector will say the copies with the small holes are worth more than the others (or the other way around)  :g: 

The Contempo-Raries 45s were pressed at Pye and it was common to see these variations in their records - up until the late 1970s and early 1980s.  The same applied to the EMI, Decca and CBS factories.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Richard,

A lot of UK 45s were available with both solid centres and "optional" 4-prong centres - and sometimes with fully 'dinked' centres, most typically from Polydor/Phonogram.

Most 45s are pressed with solid centres and are dinked in an additional operation, originally to give the option of making them (or some of them) suitable for jukeboxes etc.  These days many UK 45s are dinked just to give them more of a US style.

I prefer UK 45s to have solid centres or 4-prong optional centres which are rarely seen these days.  I pressed a few of my Selecta and Shotgun 45s with both solid centres and dinked centres just in case some people had a "fetish" for one styles or the other   :ohmy:  ...and no doubt one day some collector will say the copies with the small holes are worth more than the others (or the other way around)  :g: 

The Contempo-Raries 45s were pressed at Pye and it was common to see these variations in their records - up until the late 1970s and early 1980s.  The same applied to the EMI, Decca and CBS factories.

Paul

Thanks Paul - very helpful - appreciate the info - spot on  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Here's a couple of mine, Deon Jackson - "I can't go on" and Robert Parker - I caught you in a lie"

Both being the solid centre 'variety' - I'll have to go digging and see if I have any others, then maybe we can compare / see if there's any of the dinked ones of the same record?

attachicon.gifDeon Jackson I can't go on UK Contempo version.jpg  attachicon.gifRobert Parker I caught-you-in-a-lie-contemporaries.jpg

Cheers John

I have the Deon Jackson on the 4-prongued format.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

decca in the 60`s and 70`s only issued in the four pronged format wasnt til around 79 when they issued some in full centers....

Dave that's not quite correct, I've had a few early 60's Decca's with solid centres, at first glance I thought they were from Hong Kong or somewhere like that but they were definite UK pressings - possibly for overseas market, but to all intents and purposes, they were the same as the push out centre ones. I think one was by Karl Denver!

* nb also had solid centre demos - I had John E Paul as a solid centre demo

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave that's not quite correct, I've had a few early 60's Decca's with solid centres, at first glance I thought they were from Hong Kong or somewhere like that but they were definite UK pressings - possibly for overseas market, but to all intents and purposes, they were the same as the push out centre ones. I think one was by Karl Denver!

* nb also had solid centre demos - I had John E Paul as a solid centre demo

yes i seen the odd demo and like you say pete i think there was the odd export 45..i have a tom jones from 1966 with a full center made for export

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!