Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 34.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Other great versions of these ie Latimore or Womack but nobody gets more plays in our house than OV

For me he just makes it all sound so believable

That's The Way I Feel About Cha

Let's Straighten It Out

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

So this thread is for some reason making me turn to dark songs, menacing songs, and this one sounds like its set at the back door of hell, with the swirling devils flying around your head, whispering go on, do it one time, you know she is right.

When he hits the chorus, his tone makes you visualise the junk vanishing into the veins, swooshing through the blood, the backing singers now the devils celebrating taking another soul

And over that a man who sings like an angel. 

Its a bit of a paradox this soul music sometimes......

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

So this thread is for some reason making me turn to dark songs, menacing songs, and this one sounds like its set at the back door of hell, with the swirling devils flying around your head, whispering go on, do it one time, you know she is right.

When he hits the chorus, his tone makes you visualise the junk vanishing into the veins, swooshing through the blood, the backing singers now the devils celebrating taking another soul

And over that a man who sings like an angel. 

Its a bit of a paradox this soul music sometimes......

Love it to bits, should be compulsory listening at school assemblies and if they get fed up listening to it every day they can for a change listen to James Brown "Public Enemy # 1 parts 1&2" and "King Heroin"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Another one that just makes my mood as black as the night in the Outer Hebrides, dark, despairing and little joy, apart from the sheer beauty in the performance when someone so troubled can just pour his whole worried world out in a song. Sheer talent

One of the greatest artists ever, really moved up into my top 3 this last 10 years, all of his songs seem to tell you of his troubles, with closer inspection of the lyrics hinting at the demons that sadly destroyed him. Whilst his genius shines through like a remote lighthouse in almost everything he did.

Just magnificent and only recently did I read the story that this is not a political song but was written for Donny by someone that saw his tortured soul. Just a magnificent feat to take this from someone and make it so your own.

Amazingly the most heart breaking part is not when he is singing its when the trumpet comes in at around 2 minutes, and the sadness just seems to seep out ever part of the speakers. Then comes Donny to take the 12 pieces of your heart and turn them into 30.

My second favourite recorded performance of all time.  

Buy his latest anthology, and turn the lights off and lie down. F***ng life changing. 

WOW. What a tune. Thank you . Steve

Social source share

If we're talking about stuff that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.......Levi Stubbs (RIP)......acapella. What a voice this guy had. Had the privilege of meeting Levi and the rest of the Four Tops backstage at Blighty's in Farnworth, way back in 1973. Still got there autographs..... :thumbsup:

Simply the greatest vocalist ever singing the greatest heartbreaker of all time. IMHO. Tears running down my cheeks as I write this. Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Not all that deep - but some raw emotion going on here.

"Takes a woman like you - to get through - to the man in me"

Original - believe it or not - Bob Dylan.

Social source share

Heres a few tha hit the spot everytime

freddy cole i,d have it made

Sandra Wright I,ll come running back

Dells, Make sure

Chuck Jackson, Whats with this loneliness

Barbara Mason, Yes i,m ready

Al Green,How can you mend a broken heart

Little melvin & boleroes, I,m in love oh yes i am

Robbie williams, Mr Bojangles (off the swing concert)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Shirleys finest moment for me , love the way it builds and the way she lets it go at the end.

Shirley Brown, such a great artist   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Was waiting to see if anyone would take the bait, this is truly awesome, what its all about

Kev

Gret choice SoulStu & Kev.

Jimmy Conwell again fronting up the Exits with the flip to the excellent "Another Sundown In Watts"

I'm So Glad

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Lee Charles, relatively unknown Chicago great. A dozen 45s to his credit and hardly a duffer among 'um

Love his distinctive voice and a couple of faves of his.

Social source share

Guest ukyclub

Some brilliant choices

What about...

I was checkin out,she was checkin in....Don Covay

I'm Through...Bobby Womack

Thank you lord...Rance Allen...yeah bit gospel but no questioning the mans vocal range.

Social source share

Other great versions of these ie Latimore or Womack but nobody gets more plays in our house than OV

For me he just makes it all sound so believable

Must have missed this post, just posted the Latimore version ,always liked OV's voice ,wasn't aware his version  before, good stuff

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert