Awesome - New - Soul Track Discovery - 1St Feb 2014

That's great  :thumbup:  I'd like to hear the whole record, can't wait till I do but unfortunately I won't get to hear Steve tomorrow.  Will there be a listen again?
Who was responsible for unearthing this?  Ace/Kent or did you get it via other means Sean?  Well done to whoever it was.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Shades of Na Allen "Thanks for nothing" in the intro... but that's no bad thing  :thumbup:

I'll be tuned into Steve's show tomorrow for the full but no doubt 'jingled' version!

Chalky - Steve usually does a download for his shows, at some point - you just need to keep on at him :-)

Edited by John Benson
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

That's great  :thumbup:  I'd like to hear the whole record, can't wait till I do but unfortunately I won't get to hear Steve tomorrow.  Will there be a listen again?

Who was responsible for unearthing this?  Ace/Kent or did you get it via other means Sean?  Well done to whoever it was.

Hi Mate, don't know if there's a 'listen again' on Solar, but you can be sure it'll be getting lots of plays this spring & summer.

Ace / Kent have the Dore Catalogue and (as with Spencer Wiggins, Willie Walker, Willie Bollinger, Candi Staton and others of a 'crossover' or midtempo nature) they've entrusted me and Steve Plumb to spread the word... along, of course, with Mr C.

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Shades of Na Allen "Thanks for nothing" in the intro... but that's no bad thing  :thumbup:

I'll be tuned into Steve's show tomorrow for the full but no doubt 'jingled' version!

Chalky - Steve usually does a download for his shows, at some point - you just need to keep on at him :-)

Shades of Na Allen 'Thanks For Nothing' throughout the whole thing John. :thumbsup:

Said the same thing to Ady a couple of weeks ago.

And yes... the 'Jingle Remix' is what you'll be hearing tomorrow!

Enjoy matey!

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can be heard tomorrow (Sunday) in its entirity on solar radio between 8pm-10pm when i stand in for eddy edmondson on his 'A Taste Of Soul' show - what a track - i listened to it 12 times straight when i received it from Ady!

Well done Sean for the excellent write up for the track - I think it lives up to the hype for sure  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Chalky

After the show tomorrow i will put links on my website, itunes and mixcloud etc, so it will be possible to listen again  :thumbsup:

If i get time i will cut the full track from the show and post it on here to save folks' having to put up with me for two hours  :wicked:

There might be the odd jingle in there though  :ohmy:

Take care

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree with you. Was going by the SKM Discography which shows the Dore period as 1967 https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/tmccall.htm Certainly sounds later to my ears too!

Sean

Edit: On the McCall discog it shows 1967 on the Dore listing it states 1970! 

843 - Toussaint McCall - I Would Rather Have Nothing At All / Sweet Tea - 1970 

However.. There is also another Dore 45 (not on SKM unless I'm going blind!) Mary b/w Sweet Tea - which shows number 842 which is The Whispers Dip b/w It Only Hurts For A Little While. This is wrongly given a 605 number on Discogs as that's early 60s. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toussaint-McCall-Mary-Sweet-Tea-Funk-Soul-45-2-sider-Dore-M-HEAR-/200942474583

"‹So definitely post-Ronn as the recording would suggest!

Bloody ace whenever it was recorded!

Q to Ady - Is this part of a Dore package or a Toussaint project?

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sorry but got to go against the flow here - is this another case of the Emperors new clothes?

A nice tune, a fine voice, but overall pretty mediocre IMO and instantly forgetable.

:( - Kev

ditto :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe you could say 'well he would say that', but I think this is an incredible track. 

Also most definitely 1970ish. That dating in the SKM link is not correct.

I can't wait to start to play this out, because I think it will go down fantastically in a variety of settings.

Nice spot of  Ady's is this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I living in a parallel universe here?

I read threads all the time on here telling me the "scene " as never been better, more events than there as ever been ( point taken there will never been an event where people head to the same  venue in their hundreds/thousands  on a weekly basis ever again)

And yet i am being told a track  as turned up that is an  "Awesome discovery", teased with a  40 second play, told we can tune into a radio show to listen to the full track, told if we attend certain weekenders we can can here it played out, then finally we will be able to buy it.(Not a bad sounding tune by the way)IMHO

Hats off to everybody involved in the discovery, breaking, playing of the said track, but please don't anyone tell me the scene has never been better, when tunes  were turned over at a rate of knots we could only dream about today?

I know this may upset people, but i am quite happy to post what i think, put on my tin hat and retreat 100 yards! 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I read threads all the time on here telling me the "scene " as never been better, more events than there as ever been ( point taken there will never been an event where people head to the same  venue in their hundreds/thousands  on a weekly basis ever again)

And yet i am being told a track  as turned up that is an  "Awesome discovery", teased with a  40 second play, told we can tune into a radio show to listen to the full track, told if we attend certain weekenders we can can here it played out, then finally we will be able to buy it.(Not a bad sounding tune by the way)IMHO

Hats off to everybody involved in the discovery, breaking, playing of the said track, but please don't anyone tell me the scene has never been better, when tunes  were turned over at a rate of knots we could only dream about today?

I know this may upset people, but i am quite happy to post what i think, put on my tin hat and retreat 100 yards! 

No one on this thread is or has mentioned about how the scene has never been better... it is simply a promotion of a piece of unreleased S.O.U.L that to quite a few of us is exciting and screams of quality. This is not 1973 or whatever year people care to quote. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea i realise that but to some of us it's new fresh and exiting and long may companies such as Kent continue to find these little nuggets and continue the great tradition of soul in the uk. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think I'm with you all the way there.

Don't think for a minute that 'the scene has never been better'.

Also agreed, there was a time when great quality records were turning up every week.

Sadly, those days are long gone.

Hence the big push on the above. It's rare we hear anything 'new' anywhere near as good.

Glad you liked the record.

Here's hoping Ace / Kent find more awesome discoveries in the Dore vaults, during the months ahead.

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Awesome is a pretty overused word these days, around the forums and on Facebook etc. to describe a particularly good Soul record, but in all honesty, I don’t think it would be an over exaggeration to describe something that was sent to me, only a short while ago, as ‘absolutely AWESOME!’

It's overused again in this case imo. It's ok, quite good I guess but not awesome. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!