Marvin Smith- Hold On

Souljer6

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Folk might have noticed that the Kent Release of this from the tapes that appeared on the Kent Tommy hunt LP back in the 8'ts, is allot different than the Atlantic 45, think I prefer the Kent one over the Atlantic one.

As for Marvin Smith's version, one of my favourite 45's that, I always thought the way they did that recording at Brunswick, was like Chicago's answer to Motown..its just fabulous...the orchestration is outstanding.

Fabulous song, all the versions....

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Do you know what Robb, I might have egg on my face, cant see that listed on the LP, but I know it exists, cause when I got the Atlantic 45, I distinctly remember it being different, and I'd wished I had the version I'd heard first, let me do some checking...

Sleeve Notes on the Kent LP is by Clive Richardson, as follows:

Now while the sequence of events appears fairly accurate in its Chronology there is a slight aberration dating from 1965. Michael Ruppli's Discography (Greenwood Press, 1984) lists a Chicago session in February 1965 yielding "Some things Take Time" while a 45 coupling I Don't want to Lose you / Hold On, Both written by Van McCoy appeared in 1965, listed as 'Purchased Master' and sounding like a New York Production.

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Do you know what Robb, I might have egg on my face, cant see that listed on the LP, but I know it exists, cause when I got the Atlantic 45, I distinctly remember it being different, and I'd wished I had the version I'd heard first, let me do some checking...

Sleeve Notes on the Kent LP is by Clive Richardson, as follows:

Now while the sequence of events appears fairly accurate in its Chronology there is a slight aberration dating from 1965. Michael Ruppli's Discography (Greenwood Press, 1984) lists a Chicago session in February 1965 yielding "Some things Take Time" while a 45 coupling I Don't want to Lose you / Hold On, Both written by Van McCoy appeared in 1965, listed as 'Purchased Master' and sounding like a New York Production.

Malcolm

I'm sure that Van McCoy produced that session in New York, and that the master was purchased by Atlantic.  Otherwise there would have been at least two Tommy Hunt singles released by Atlantic.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert