Face Time Sales -Yes Or No

Pk 22dj

Here one for you - Face time sales etc

Might be a good idea for the site !!

My daughter aged 8 is currently having a girly face time film night with her school friends which got me thinking. Might be mad but here goes SS could be the first site that I know of to have a Face Time Section, sales etc where you can actualy see the record going on the deck / player and the person your dealing with etc. I know everyone isn't up to the technology and may not have an ipad/ pod, but times are changing. You could even haggle lie you would in person like you would at say at a an allnighter or soul night. Close ups and questions sorted out on the spot without emails flying here and there. So what dose everyone think Soul Source Face Time sales- yes or no

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I think its a brilliant idea, just because we are all mad about an ancient format doesn't mean we have to get about it in an ancient way

Social source share

I'm not sure what this would add to things - could be good, but I'm struggling to visualise how it would work in practice.

If I'm selling a record I usually put full information plus scans/digital photos and soundfiles. This gives as much information as possible and is the next best thing to actually having the record in your hand.

I'm not sure how watching a record going round on someone's turntable on your iPad or on Skype, with poor quality images and sound, is going to help see what a record looks like and plays at all.

As a buyer, for pricey items I would still want decent quality scans and MP3 soundfiles from the record for sale which would give much more accurate information on the record condition - how it looks and sounds.

I can see it would be helpful for people who want to do a "face-to-face" deal - especially those that want to try and negotiate down the price on set sale items.

Just strikes me that you would still have to do everything else and that this would be an extra activity/step on top of what people already do.

I'm willing to be convinced.

Can someone do a demo maybe?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not everyone has scanning equipment etc Richard but they might have an iPhone! lots of sales list on here that don't have scans. These could suggest you face time them about info and looking at the records etc. as we all know people also have different grading standards so looking at the record would be helpful, and finally not all scans come up to scratch as I've found out in the past. For buying off foreign sales it would be essential as how many times has money been spent and people have not received the record et, was there such an item or had they listed someone else's scan. This would prove at least they have what they say they have and maybe get rid of a few sharks out there.

Social source share

I'm off to Amsterdam for a few days and might put a couple of items up in sales when I come back with a request for them to contact me through face time at a suitable time for both should they need to ask or need any further info on the records.

Ps anyone know of a decent record shop to visit in Amsterdam

Pk

Social source share

I'm off to Amsterdam for a few days and might put a couple of items up in sales when I come back with a request for them to contact me through face time at a suitable time for both should they need to ask or need any further info on the records.

Ps anyone know of a decent record shop to visit in Amsterdam

Pk

Thread here about record shops in Amsterdam:

And another one here:

Happy hunting...

Social source share

a virtual record show would be kind of cool. in a real room there's space between everyone, it would be cool to have a scheduled record show where everyone was in chat the full time, it would be crazy and everyone would want the same record at the same time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

My daughter aged 8 is currently having a girly face time film night with her school friends

Sorry don't mean to go off topic.

But what on earth is a "face time film night". How does that work??!!

Social source share

Sorry don't mean to go off topic.

But what on earth is a "face time film night". How does that work??!!

I guessed - but I think they all watch the same movie together at the same time online but are also networked on "face time" so they can communicate with each other in real time about the movie even though they are all in different places - kind of like a video conference watching a movie? 

Am I right?  :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I guessed - but I think they all watch the same movie together at the same time online but are also networked on "face time" so they can communicate with each other in real time about the movie even though they are all in different places - kind of like a video conference watching a movie? 

Am I right?  :D

Cheers

Richard

Sounds like you could be. Like a sleepover but they don't actually sleep over. :D

I swear I'm losing touch with the modern world!! :yes:

Social source share

I remember recording the contents of my sales box on to mini disc and taking a portable player to Cleethorpes with me, late 90's I think.

When I asked people if they wanted to listen to anything and offered them the player and headphones, most people thought I had just landed from outer space :-)

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!