Do You Feel Sorry For Northern Soul Collectors Starting Out

Wiganer1

Dead right bud,

To mark my impending 50th I'm just in the process of replacing some of my boots/reissues with US 1st pressings. It's going to be a long job. I'm picking up some decent stuff for about £30 - £50 but there's a hell of a lot of records that are way out of my price range. I'm planning to get a couple or 3 a month so it's gonna take ages. I'm beginning to wish I'd done this a couple of decades ago!

However there's a lot of quality motown to get my teeth into.

Edited by SoulStu
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

It's all relative, in 1967 FL Moore was selling The Poets She Blew a Good Thing on Symbol. (This is the first 'proper' Northern track I acquired)

At time I'd never heard of FL Moore OR Northern as such, but Dingle, then quite a well known local DJ) had played it at a do in Bedford I were at.

ASAP, off to Leighton Buzzard by bus I went, a 17 year old 2nd year apprentice at Vauxhall earning, before tax, 35 shillings a week, ( £1.75P a week to those of you not familiar with Pounds, Shillings and Pence).

SO, Mr Moore wanted £1 5/- (£1.25P !!!), suffice to say, suffice I couldn't afford that sort of dosh, I did get a 'free' copy :shhh: , the story is on another thread, yes I still have it, AND I'd snatch some ones arm off if I were offered a copy at that price today !!!!, (no, don't offer me yours :lol: )

(How the feck do you  live on £1.75 a week !!!!!, well 10 ciggies were round about 12P, beer were 7 or 8p  a pint (lager hadn't arrived in the UK), daily papers no more than tuppence (1P) for example and it were 5/- (25P) to see Drifters at the California Ballroom in Dunstable.) Pop singles were I think 3/- (15P)

However, to answer the question, yes, for those starting out on a serious collecting path, its going to cost a lot of money, BUT in 46 years they'll look back and realise how cheap it actually was......in relative terms, ie the cost now as opposed to what they will cost then, assuming the scene still exists :hatsoff2: .

Edited by ZootSuit
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

prices wane and soar over the years if i told you that you could buy mint classic demos in the late 60s for 10pence or 5 old pennies would you believe it ?

soul prices had slumped at that time and soul boys were dumping their collections .

the problem buying good soul when they came out was there were 100s of records hitting the shops every week some,only on special order ,so you wouldn't have enough spare cash at that time to buy even a good selection of classics by the famous names. (allowing for very low wages then )

hence many good obscure titles were overlooked as they were overshadowed by the famous names and top classics and went unnoticed and sold few.

record shops couldn't stock them all so you just wouldn't know what was hot or what was kerap unless someone recommended a particular title .now with the benefit of all the online resources you can get a handle on them all in short time .

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

Most records at moores were a pound to 3POUNDS and not many were over a fiver.. Fiver then must be 50 now. So comparable in a way .Think your normal retail priće uk releases was about 3s 6d late 60s. I woudnt want to be buying nowadays .

Social source share

It's all relative, in 1967 FL Moore was selling The Poets She Blew a Good Thing on Symbol. (This is the first 'proper' Northern track I acquired)

At time I'd never heard of FL Moore OR Northern as such, but Dingle, then quite a well known local DJ) had played it at a do in Bedford I were at.

ASAP, off to Leighton Buzzard by bus I went, a 17 year old 2nd year apprentice at Vauxhall earning, before tax, 35 shillings a week, ( £1.75P a week to those of you not familiar with Pounds, Shillings and Pence).

SO, Mr Moore wanted £1 5/- (£1.25P !!!), suffice to say, suffice I couldn't afford that sort of dosh, I did get a 'free' copy :shhh: , the story is on another thread, yes I still have it, AND I'd snatch some ones arm off if I were offered a copy at that price today !!!!, (no, don't offer me yours :lol: )

(How the feck do you  live on £1.75 a week !!!!!, well 10 ciggies were round about 12P, beer were 7 or 8p  a pint (lager hadn't arrived in the UK), daily papers no more than tuppence (1P) for example and it were 5/- (25P) to see Drifters at the California Ballroom in Dunstable.) Pop singles were I think 3/- (15P)

However, to answer the question, yes, for those starting out on a serious collecting path, its going to cost a lot of money, BUT in 46 years they'll look back and realise how cheap it actually was......in relative terms, ie the cost now as opposed to what they will cost then, assuming the scene still exists :hatsoff2: .

i can remember when lager was a girls drink  :wicked:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

At time I'd never heard of FL Moore OR Northern as such, but Dingle, then quite a well known local DJ) had played it at a do in Bedford I were at.

ASAP, off to Leighton Buzzard by bus I went, a 17 year old 2nd year apprentice at Vauxhall earning, before tax, 35 shillings a week, ( £1.75P a week to those of you not familiar with Pounds, Shillings and Pence).

SO, Mr Moore wanted £1 5/- (£1.25P !!!), suffice to say, suffice I couldn't afford that sort of dosh, I did get a 'free' copy :shhh: , the story is on another thread, yes I still have it, AND I'd snatch some ones arm off if I were offered a copy at that price today !!!!, (no, don't offer me yours :lol: )

(How the feck do you live on £1.75 a week !!!!!, well 10 ciggies were round about 12P, beer were 7 or 8p a pint (lager hadn't arrived in the UK), daily papers no more than tuppence (1P) for example and it were 5/- (25P) to see Drifters at the California Ballroom in Dunstable.) Pop singles were I think 3/- (15P)

However, to answer the question, yes, for those starting out on a serious collecting path, its going to cost a lot of money, BUT in 46 years they'll look back and realise how cheap it actually was......in relative terms, ie the cost now as opposed to what they will cost then, assuming the scene still exists :hatsoff2: .

What thread's the Poets story in?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

With inflation and what not, I think people will be surprised at how comparable prices actually are from now and then. Obviously the demand of a record has an influence in the price, and that can go up and down. But thats the same with any collectable commodity... One example are Lambrettas, I seem to remember the price of a new TV200 or 175 in the 60scant remember exactly was around 116 pound, and some one put that into an inflation calculator... And it came back with a value very similar to the current market value of the scooters.

Pretty much no 18 year olds would have been able to afford one out right in the 60s, just like no 18 year old can really afford one now. So, these originals at 75 quid a pop, yes they arent cheap but when they were say 2-3 quid in the 80s I bet your incomes wouldn't have allowed to buy a whole collections worth in a month? Just like my income as a young collector allows me to buy 2-4 cheapies a month... The difference is now for you guys, your middle agaed, generally with a better income and a collection already built up.

Social source share

You're not seriously trying to compare 1967's prices with today's prices, are you?

Hi Benji, perhaps you'd have another look at what I wrote, the term 'relative' is in the post :thumbsup: .

NO I'm not comparing then and now prices, I'm saying when you're earn 175P a week  and a dealer wants 125P for a record, that record. in relative terms is just as expensive then as paying £105 for a disc when I was working 8 years ago and earning £500+ a week, in fact, in relative terms the Poets disc was a damn site more expensive, he wanted 71% of my weekly wage, whereas Laura Green was 19.7% of my weekly wage.

And NOBODY in the 60T's earnt the sort of wages being paid now, those who are working that is, and I've been collecting sing 1967 and think prices are cheaper now, relatively, than they werein 1967 :wicked: .

OR perhaps I've just got more flush financially as I've got older as I cant see any 18/19 year old being able to pay £75/£100 a pop AND buy in bulk, mind ALL my cash, before I got married, went on everything involved in the nighter scene, as Ian Dury sang, Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

What thread's the Poets story in?

Old timers kicking Ady, its not in a post, its was a story I told Kimbo in a PM, not a post on here :huh:  but it goes like this :-

Mr Moore had his shop in an old terraced house, it would have backed onto where Tescos is in Leighton Buzzard today, you knocked on the front door, Fred let you in and gave you a single sheet of his stock list, NOT a photocopy, you remember those printers that used a carbon, were talking the Dark Ages technically, anyway, to be honest, I couldn't afford anything on that list, even the 15/- (75P) stuff, however, before I left a copy of the Poets some how got inside my jacket.

Years later, when Fred was based in Luton, I bought rakes and rakes from him and it got to the stage where he was letting up in his stock room with the old discatron, found some wonderful stuff, Bobby Taylor, San Remo Strings, Bob Wilson (All turned on), You ought to be in heaven, Clara Ward (Right direction), by this time I'd told him about the Poets, which had been about 6 years earlier AND paid him for it, but the kicker was, he never checked what I pulled out of his stock, used to let me have them at 3 for a £1.00

• Helpful 2
Social source share

With inflation and what not, I think people will be surprised at how comparable prices actually are from now and then. Obviously the demand of a record has an influence in the price, and that can go up and down. But thats the same with any collectable commodity... One example are Lambrettas, I seem to remember the price of a new TV200 or 175 in the 60scant remember exactly was around 116 pound, and some one put that into an inflation calculator... And it came back with a value very similar to the current market value of the scooters.

Pretty much no 18 year olds would have been able to afford one out right in the 60s, just like no 18 year old can really afford one now. So, these originals at 75 quid a pop, yes they arent cheap but when they were say 2-3 quid in the 80s I bet your incomes wouldn't have allowed to buy a whole collections worth in a month? Just like my income as a young collector allows me to buy 2-4 cheapies a month... The difference is now for you guys, your middle agaed, generally with a better income and a collection already built up.

big difference between buying in the 8ts compared to now was there were no guides or pop sike, you used to get people flogging boots as the real deal and (less often) vise versa. finding out what was what as a young collector was tough, often the guys selling didnt have a clue either. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

big difference between buying in the 8ts compared to now was there were no guides or pop sike, you used to get people flogging boots as the real deal and (less often) vise versa. finding out what was what as a young collector was tough, often the guys selling didnt have a clue either. 

The upshot though is that there is a lot more information about now.I used to buy blind after looking at a record and try and offload the turkeys.At least now you can youtube it and get the info from this very site on boots pressings etc.If you have taste and are willing to put the hours in then you should be able to build up a reasonable collection on a limited budget as the sheer volume on e bay etc is immense.Use the sniping tool to full effect.No use in chasing the current biggies if you have limited funds.And it depends on what you plan to do with the records.Collecting for yourself or deejaying.Buying the future biggies you will get no bookings or have empty dancefloors.Gone are the days when people will dance to unknown after unknown.Here in the uk anyway.A quality record is a quality record.I recently got The Remarkables Is The Feeling Still There and Fred Hughes Dont Let Me Down from this site.Both for under 50 quid.Both i think are good solid northern records and will weather the fads of the northern scene.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Youre right in a way its all relative Paul,as a thirteen year old frequenter of the North Park club Kettering among others remember the price of beer 11pence(pre decimal money)for starlight bitter.Crazy as it sounds now I had to got to the bar for my mates Keith and George who were both sixteen then but short arses who would be refused to be served.However beer took a back seat fairly quickly from soon on.Over the years having been a guest of HM on a few occasions,not for over thirty years now thanfully,what records I did used to buy would never be there when I came out(from polkey that is)Wasnt a big collector or anything but like near everyone else did have a few choons.people didnt discriminate,chons,clothes,yer best leather jacket etc,once you werent there if you hadnt been living at your mums or a loyal girlfreind ,mrs everything  never mind "Must Go", it "Did Go".Since back on the scene I do buy a few records here and there without spending silly money and must admit at first when coming back got a bit of a shock at what sort of stuff was going for what and the mass of boots and the price charged for them,adverts effectively saying "This boot is the first of a half dozen or so later  boots that came out of ...????? there fore a bargain at 40quid.Also these days there seems much more people chomping at the bit to dj as opposed to collecting to listen to at home primary purpose.However after a bit of time had passed I realised it was all relative as Paul says ,theres more money about now and still as well as the big well known classic stuff the real art is finding what will become classics themselves ,putting in loads of hard work if you havent got the cash to match the big money buyers and buying the right stuff that people dont know but will respond to big style.Must be thousands of sixtees still out there still not known or not known very well,same again for underplayeds.,the sort of thingPremium stuff and Patto are advocating sounds the way to go for people coming into it now new to the scene.

Social source share

I feel sorry for the poor souls out there deciding they want to be a floor filling northern soul dj. They will be competing with many bidders to pick up all the records that so many people all ready own and play all the time. For the collectors out there looking to pick up records that they can simply play to themselves and maybe the world seems like a nicer place, I don't think theres any need to feel sorry for them. They are in a good place:) 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Attended a couple of nights in the northwest within about six weeks of each other.  Two different venues but a young DJ was on at both.  To be fair, he did a good spot, well received both times, but his playlist was almost identical both times, with only a few exceptions.  To give him the benefit of the doubt, I put it down to his age, and the fact that he wouldn't have been collecting long.  So yes, I can empathise with the OP comments, and everybody has to start somewhere.  After all, I believe the children are our future.

Social source share

Not quite right Jordan.I was certainly a lot better off in the 80s (except for one crucial year)than i am now and had a lot more disposable income back then.Times are a lot harder now for most middle aged people as you put it with most of my mates in low paid or part time jobs.Also most of us are subbing our teenagers who cant find work

Edited by Patto
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Very true....As a kid I got skimmed £4 at Wigan with a Sam & Kitty early boot by one of these so called "older lad heroes" we're always hearing so many fond memories about - c**t. And a Mel Britt 2nd press too....was still in school at the time so had diddly squat money. Still it taught me a valuable lesson.

Exactly......I mean why would a youngster want to buy the same standard records anyway? Plenty of other stuff out there and it's only the older generation that have this god given belief that their favourite records are the only good northern records.

I agree with what you are saying Steve. But someone new into the scene may not have heard Epitome Of Sound 15000 times. They are probably having the same experience we had a long time ago, and just HAVE to have it on original.

But like Mark says its not a passtime everyone can afford.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Here are a few comparisions.

£20 in December 1974 = £171 today

£20 in December 1977 = £106.12 today

£20 in December 1979 = £83.51 today

£20 in December 1984 = £55.77 today

£20 in December 1989 = £42.66 today

£20 in December 1994 = £34.71 today

I actually expected 20 on the 70s to be worth quite a bit more. I'd imagine in 1974 that wasnt a million miles away from the average weekly wage. (Will ask a colleague to find that out for me.)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Yeah, I was only really meaning in monetary terms. I agree it's definitely easy now, but, you can still make mistakes when you start out. Theres stuff on Ebay that are definitely on the vague side, with almost identical lables!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not quite right Jordan.I was certainly a lot better off in the 80s (except for one crucial year)than i am now and had a lot more disposable income back then.Times are a lot harder now for most middle aged people as you put it with most of my mates in low paid or part time jobs.Also most of us are subbing our teenagers who cant find work

I suppose, theres definitely less costs when you are young especially regarding running a home... However, most of you will have a collectiosn, and its bit like money make money. You have a lot of tunes that you can sell/swap according to your current tastes.

To be fair though, unless you are very wealthy collecting records is a tough game! However, its great fun and very rewarding when you finally get the tunes you want!

Social source share

I actually expected 20 on the 70s to be worth quite a bit more. I'd imagine in 1974 that wasnt a million miles away from the average weekly wage. (Will ask a colleague to find that out for me.)

Nice one Mikey.  From your table, in 1977 I was earning the equivalent of less than £60 a week in today's money.  Mind you, that was all spending money as the navy fed and sheltered me back then.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Talking to myself

Here are the average weekly wages I mentioned earlier

1974 - £27.80

1977 - £54.80

1979 - £76.10

1984 - £126.40

1989 - £192.30

1994 - £255.20

1999 - £317.50

You can compare how much of an average weekly wage a 20 quid record was and the subsequent values as time moved on.

Edit, will work out the equivalents in a bit for the full comparrison..

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

But there is no correlation.....a record that sold for £30 in 1990 may sell for thousands now......How many of us turned our snouts up at Eddie Parker when they were £35 for instance? I know at least two of us who did......too expensive we convinced ourselves.....

Conversely a classic that sold for £100 in 1990 may sit languishing in dealers boxes for years now......unloved and unwanted.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But there is no correlation.....a record that sold for £30 in 1990 may sell for thousands now......How many of us turned our snouts up at Eddie Parker when they were £35 for instance? I know at least two of us who did......too expensive we convinced ourselves.....

Conversely a classic that sold for £100 in 1990 may sit languishing in dealers boxes for years now......unloved and unwanted.

Exactly, the figures put up by Mikey are interesting but theres lots of other factors to be thrown in.

Ive got some old Pat Brady lists from the early 90s and you could have bought an Invitations - Watch Out Little Girl on MGM for £5 which is £8.67 in todays money according to those figures. How much would you have to pay for one now? £150/200 ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Exactly, the figures put up by Mikey are interesting but theres lots of other factors to be thrown in.

Ive got some old Pat Brady lists from the early 90s and you could have bought an Invitations - Watch Out Little Girl on MGM for £5 which is £8.67 in todays money according to those figures. How much would you have to pay for one now? £150/200 ?

not many returnees buying oldies in the early 9ts at all, the demand was for current sounds back then, imho.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

That true. Rather than making the correlation between the cost of Danny Moore 20 years ago to today. I'm trying to make the comparison that if you spent 20 quid on a record in say 1974, that it would be most of the average weekely wage. So you'd look at spending say 170 quid today, to be buying a record, on par with that 20 quid buy in '74. Irrespective of the actual record.

Or actually more if you were spending the same percentage of your salary in 2014.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

basically no one goes by book price , dealers get what they can and thats understandable , what i dont  get is when i see a record on the

many lists i see that remains unsold , price is inflated  and probably stays listed at this price until the  record gets reactivated  and people

want it , are there any dealers out there that are willing to  " price drop " as per Mr Manship  until sold ?, sounds commonsense to me .

PS I have a list of records wanted which i am waiting for them to become "unpopular " , so they may then be listed at proper prices

Social source share

But your assuming that in the interim period the value has remained the same, its just inflation that has increased.  By that reckoning all records should be selling for the original value when released, plus inflation !.

Apologies if I have mis un understood what your saying.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Talking to myself

Here are the average weekly wages I mentioned earlier

1974 - £27.80

1977 - £54.80

1979 - £76.10

1984 - £126.40

1989 - £192.30

1994 - £255.20

1999 - £317.50

You can compare how much of an average weekly wage a 20 quid record was and the subsequent values as time moved on.

Edit, will work out the equivalents in a bit for the full comparrison..

When James Fountain sold for (I think) £70.00 in 1974 ish ?...today that would be the equivalent of just over £2,500 approx....assuming I have my facts right (?), that kinda puts things into a better perspective I think.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When James Fountain sold for (I think) £70.00 in 1974 ish ?...today that would be the equivalent of just over £2,500 approx....assuming I have my facts right (?), that kinda puts things into a better perspective I think.

Russ

Russ it was £170......not £70.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But your assuming that in the interim period the value has remained the same, its just inflation that has increased.  By that reckoning all records should be selling for the original value when released, plus inflation !.

Apologies if I have mis un understood what your saying.

Russ

Apology accepted :)

Social source share

Yes its an expensive game at times.But if you were starting out now as a new young soul,imagine hearing some of the classic thumpers for the first time.!!! Dig deep young men.

I remember when i couldn't afford boots at Wigan,so its all relative to your own circumstances. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i definitely dont feel sorry.And here's why...many many records are so much easier to find via dealers/internet etc..than bitd..ive bought several over recent years that i never used to see for sale.They are also cheaper in relative terms..some great tunes available for peanuts.The top indemand & classic tunes are a different story, most will usually keep or increase their high price..but for a collector just starting out..with a blank page..must be exciting..ive been collecting since 1970 and i'm still finding great stuff, underplayed, new to me..etc at decent prices..buy cheap but quality 45's..and keep your eyes open for a bargain or top sound that is reasonable..you could get a decent collection going without leaving your house, you couldn't do this bitd..

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There's still plenty of cheapies to start a half decent collection though , if you're prepared to wait and shop around. I just won these earlier this afternoon , not big ticket stuff I know but some nice classics I reckon all for less than £12 + £7 P&P.

JACKIE WILSON - YOU GOT ME WALKING - BRUNSWICK W/D - EX

EDDIE & ERNIE - OUTCAST - EASTERN W/D - VG++

BETTY WRIGHT - IF YOU LOVE ME - ALSTON W/D EX

DEON JACKSON - OOH BABY - CARLA W/D VG+

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Would be nice to know which bit I miss understood :) .

Russ

The point was made previously that buying records has always been expensive and that looking back in time you have to consider what earnings were and what money was worth compared to now.

I was saying the same as you, you can't just use the figures comparing what money is worth between two specific dates to compare what a records value is on the same dates.

If it worked like that you could buy a copy of the Invitations I quoted for less than a tenner which you quite obviously can't on todays market (unless you are extremely lucky)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!