Fall From Grace

hovis09

I was reading an old record collector the other day and it had a list of the top twenty most expensive records at that time(1991} and all the usual suspects were there FRANK WILSON, DENIS EDWARDS, INSPIRATIONS, JOHNNY HONEYCUTT, ETC all rated at over a £1000 back then but what caught my eye was DANNY MOORE SOMEBODY NEW rated at £1200 as there ever been a record that has fallen so much in value . or even one that has shot up so much in value

Edited by hovis09
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Royal Esquires - Ain't gonna run - Prix

I can concur with that one paid one and a half grand for it about five years before the big find.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

that's a nightmare, but for the 5 years you had it and played it out I bet it was £1500 well spent, still a great tune imo

I'll tell you what no lie or leg pull it emptied the floor a few times , I played it at Prestatyn and it emptied the floor then I played the Ravins and got a totally empty floor .

Social source share

just wondered if the danny moore would even go today if found as new discovery? still love it myself, whatever the price, but its well out of place with the current sound imho.

incidentally how many DM's actually turned up? I'm thinking just a couple of hundred, highlighting just how small a market NS actually is.

Edited by geeselad
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

just wondered if the danny monday would even go today if found as new discovery? still love it myself, whatever the price, but its well out of place with the current sound imho.

incidentally how many DM's actually turned up? I'm thinking just a couple of hundred, highlighting just how small a market NS actually is.

Danny Moore rather than Danny Monday. Tracked down by a New Jersey sleuth and shipped in bulk to the Potteries. A few punters had their fingers burned on this one, myself included. Same partnership brokered the Dream Team on Gregory I think. Richie Rosen had quantity of Frederick Hymes III and was behind the flood of Reverend George Mortons, fingers burned again... On the plus side, it is good to see the trackers uncovering hoards of good records such as Four Tracks, Clara Hardy, Willie Pickett etc - the down side is paying too much for a copy in the hurry to be at the front of the queue. Trick is, get to know the dealers and their M.O. so the records can be sourced for a reasonable outlay. And if someone says 'this is the last copy', maybe think twice before handing over the cash.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Danny Moore rather than Danny Monday. Tracked down by a New Jersey sleuth and shipped in bulk to the Potteries. A few punters had their fingers burned on this one, myself included. Same partnership brokered the Dream Team on Gregory I think. Richie Rosen had quantity of Frederick Hymes III and was behind the flood of Reverend George Mortons, fingers burned again... On the plus side, it is good to see the trackers uncovering hoards of good records such as Four Tracks, Clara Hardy, Willie Pickett etc - the down side is paying too much for a copy in the hurry to be at the front of the queue. Trick is, get to know the dealers and their M.O. so the records can be sourced for a reasonable outlay. And if someone says 'this is the last copy', maybe think twice before handing over the cash.

I'm fairly sure Greg and Tim had no involvement in the Dream Team.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yep sorry, moore- somebody new- though danny monday is ironicaly tim's favorite tune!

Social source share

Mind & Matter......

I remember someone fairly well know saying to me once "I paid £1,200 for mine and I ain't gonna see much of that back!"

There's always a flip side to the coin......the "find" was great news for mortals like me!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mind & Matter......

I remember someone fairly well know saying to me once "I paid £1,200 for mine and I ain't gonna see much of that back!"

There's always a flip side to the coin......the "find" was great news for mortals like me!

Cheers,

Mark R

Yes, i remember when I first heard the Codfather play this in Dudley last century, what a record, I never thought I'd own a copy, until the the batch was found and then it was possible.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, i remember when I first heard the Codfather play this in Dudley last century, what a record, I never thought I'd own a copy, until the the batch was found and then it was possible.

Makes the thread title a bit of a misnomer mate doesn't it?  "Fall from grace" probably a bit strong and infers a new found inferiority!!  We should be clear the thread is JUST about values, and not quality in the grooves.

M&M would be as expensive as they come if price were based on tune quality alone!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

What about Betty Lloyd, crashed, but is gradually increasing in value again over the years...  

Russ

Anglo had so many Betty Lloyds that if you ordered something and it was out of stock, they'd put that in as a replacement and hope you'd keep it, I got one instead of a Jimmy Seals when JS was about £70, Betty came down to as low as £30 at one point, must be £200 again now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anglo had so many Betty Lloyds that if you ordered something and it was out of stock, they'd put that in as a replacement and hope you'd keep it, I got one instead of a Jimmy Seals when JS was about £70, Betty came down to as low as £30 at one point, must be £200 again now.

£350+ now......

Social source share

£350-£400

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

joe vallentine has dropped in price and there one for sale in most boxes 

I sold a dreamteam to a guy in the states and he told me about his mate 

who had swapped two copies of Ruby Sherry for one dreamteam

He wasn't a happy bunny 

Hi Mick the Joe Vallentines are just about gone now , that'll go up again you watch.

Social source share

Hi Mick the Joe Vallentines are just about gone now , that'll go up again you watch.

Hi Sy

You can buy mine then (only joking)

I remember the worry when Montclairs -hey you and Greater Experience turned up 

in small quantities, but they soon shot up to there original value and higher 

Problem is when something is found in count boxes you never now if all the

find is being put out there or drip feed to the eager punters.

Panic sets in - and we all end up blaming you 

See ya soon    MIck

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Sy

You can buy mine then (only joking)

I remember the worry when Montclairs -hey you and Greater Experience turned up 

in small quantities, but they soon shot up to there original value and higher 

Problem is when something is found in count boxes you never now if all the

find is being put out there or drip feed to the eager punters.

Panic sets in - and we all end up blaming you 

See ya soon    MIck

give your sweet girl a peck on the nose from me , you Sir I will deal with when I see you .

Social source share

What did it peak at ?

Whatever it started at. I first remember Henry Atkinson having it and it was a big, big rareity. Then when stock was found ithe price came down and down, and with the confusion and rumours of boots/re-presses, people seemed to lose confidence in the record. Now though, it seems to be be making a resurgence which I'm glad about as it's a killer tune.

Social source share

Oxford Knights was a weird one, when the quantity turned up, it didnt seem to effect the price too much....

I have a theory on that one....I think that they had been around some years, I do not think that they had been done recently to rip people off, I think they were a repress from the original stampers done back in the day, but were never distributed/sold. 

My thoughts are this, one of the group members had a small quantity (in a wardrobe apparently ?), a prominent record dealer used to get 2 or 3 of these each year & drip them out (I know this to be true).  Then another dealer, from the Beach scene, also discovered this source, he then completely flooded the market, which was when the scare started, & the rumours of a re press/boot started.

I think the original dealer who found the copies, genuinly thought these were from the original press & sold them as such for some years, including to other dealers, when the rumours started, they were then retiscent to substantiate the rumour because they didnt want people to think they had deliberatly duped others.

This is purely part speculation on my part, based on conversations I have had with people over the years since this occured, & is just a theory & may not be (exactly) how things happened.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I actually like bulk record finds, I'd never have a mint Danny Moore otherwise. Somebody found a box of tony Hestor - Just can't leave you demos and I bought one of those too, think it was $150 - absolutely mint. Wish I'd bought one of the Four Tracks on Mandingo, just love the tune, a couple of people bought two and sold the spare to pay for the first.

Please keep digging and find a couple of boxes of Chico lamarr!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I got burned with Danny Moore, paid £700 for it, even though John manship warned mein so many words. Then not long after I was offered the montclairs hey you , I gave Henry Atkinson a deposit of £25 then was told there was a big find, and told Henry to forget it and keep the deposit....funnily enough I had a oxford knights from butch snd made a good profit when I sold up.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'll tell you what no lie or leg pull it emptied the floor a few times , I played it at Prestatyn and it emptied the floor then I played the Ravins and got a totally empty floor .

If only they'd find the Ravins in the same quantities as the Royal Esquires. :(

I can dream...

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

If only they'd find the Ravins in the same quantities as the Royal Esquires. :(

I can dream...

I don't think that would happen as I was told Dave Hamilton just had a few as give aways maybe Ady Croasdale or Gilly may know more . Happily I picked another up last year for 400 euros .

Social source share

I got burned with Danny Moore, paid £700 for it, even though John manship warned mein so many words. Then not long after I was offered the montclairs hey you , I gave Henry Atkinson a deposit of £25 then was told there was a big find, and told Henry to forget it and keep the deposit....funnily enough I had a oxford knights from butch snd made a good profit when I sold up.

I never knew there was a big find of Montclairs. I know it's not a real rareity because it was such a sizeable local hit, but I never knew of a quantity find.

Social source share

I never knew there was a big find of Montclairs. I know it's not a real rareity because it was such a sizeable local hit, but I never knew of a quantity find.

Tony Tisovic of St Louis made the find back in the days of Goldmine and Discoveries. When I went to his house, he was down to his last two so I bought them at a hefty price. A few months later, Don Parker phoned up and offered me one. More popped up on major dealers' lists and in collectors' sales boxes so I sold the spare copy for what I bought it for. The stock came from the label owner's family, and having followed the saga quite closely, would estimate the haul to be at least one 25 count box but no more than two. There were no other good quality, good condition records at Tony's house despite there being box-loads - he still turns up the occasional record but the St Louis market has been cornered by another dealer who is letting out quantity finds in auction lists.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lew Stanley came up with the Oxford Knights. Fantastic record and muchos credit to Ion for bringing it to Londoners' attention. The stock was in pristine condition like it was pressed yesterday, prices duly fell but try finding one now...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oxford Knights was a weird one, when the quantity turned up, it didnt seem to effect the price too much....

I have a theory on that one....I think that they had been around some years, I do not think that they had been done recently to rip people off, I think they were a repress from the original stampers done back in the day, but were never distributed/sold. 

My thoughts are this, one of the group members had a small quantity (in a wardrobe apparently ?), a prominent record dealer used to get 2 or 3 of these each year & drip them out (I know this to be true).  Then another dealer, from the Beach scene, also discovered this source, he then completely flooded the market, which was when the scare started, & the rumours of a re press/boot started.

I think the original dealer who found the copies, genuinly thought these were from the original press & sold them as such for some years, including to other dealers, when the rumours started, they were then retiscent to substantiate the rumour because they didnt want people to think they had deliberatly duped others.

This is purely part speculation on my part, based on conversations I have had with people over the years since this occured, & is just a theory & may not be (exactly) how things happened.

Russ

Interesting conjecture Russ. Like your good self, I am somewhat baffled by this business. My shiny label copy sounds the same as any matt label, and as it is clearly stamped, I am fairly content, but you can't help feeling you paid too much for the record, brilliant though it is...
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Lew Stanley came up with the Oxford Knights. Fantastic record and muchos credit to Ion for bringing it to Londoners' attention. The stock was in pristine condition like it was pressed yesterday, prices duly fell but try finding one now...

I've been racking my brains to remember what Ion had the Oxford Knights covered up as, I'm in Baghdad right now & cant check the tape Ion gave me with this on to check...anyone ??? 

Russ

Social source share

i guess it's just a technicality because it's effectively the same, but the neither the four tracks, clara hardy, or willie pickett were "tracked". The four tracks and clara hardy were just uncovered by junkers and dumped on the market. The willie picketts were a result of funkyou's detroit operation hitting an old record store stock. So in none of these cases did someone track the producer, label owner, etc., it was just a case of bulk being found.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've been racking my brains to remember what Ion had the Oxford Knights covered up as, I'm in Baghdad right now & cant check the tape Ion gave me with this on to check...anyone ??? 

Russ

Keep your head down and stay safe out there Russ.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!