Flip Sides That Very Few Have Ever Heard, For One Reason Or Another?

Mal C

B Sides, if you have the 45, you would have flipped it, Ive never even cast my eyes on this one, anybody know what the flip is like? Its not on You Tube by the way... which brings us to a good thread starter, Flip sides that very few have ever heard, for one reason or another?

Mr. Lucky, “Taking  A Chance on Love,”  the flip of  “Born To Love You”

Malcolm

post-2025-0-74509200-1390843285_thumb.jp

Social source share

I assumed he was meaning on records so rare or obscure.

One I stumbled on recently due a a fantastic compiliation having extract of both sides, was Cody Black Keep On Keeping On, other side of the Pat Brady monster that is Slowly Molding, a rumbling mumbling magnificent Detroit mid tempo thing that has the Mr Gilly Gilbert written all over it. Completely new to my ears until then and I couldn't find it on You Tube etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had Earthquake - Al TNT Braggs on the old UK Action label for 30 years. Couple of years ago saw 'How long can you hold on' Al Braggs on a dealer listing.

U Tubed it, excellent, purchased it, disc arrived, a US Peacock copy, flipped it, bugger me, Earthquake on 'tother side, much rummaging through collection to find Action copy.....SOD IT, I already had it on Action !!!!!.

30 YEARS AND HAD NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT, OR PLAYED THE B SIDE, now I actually prefer it, and the bonus is it doesn't sound like a bowl of rice crispies.

Edited by ZootSuit
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've just rescued a record out of the crap box......Bobby Eaton Fever, Fever,Fever on Galaxy just because someone posted the other side in sales.People have been raving over the b side of John Bowie and Dr Love....they are poor compared to the other sides.One i have turned over because someone said i should was The Embers-Watch Out Girl...that isn't bad.Ive had large cod and chips with curry tonight.  

Social source share

Flip of bobby sheen 'sweet sweet love' is a killer crossover 45, better than dr love by a country mile... Had John Bowie, don't remember there being anything much on the flip, but then tastes change over time don't they... I do love curry sauce with me chippies....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Everybody's flipped this I guess but how good is Hurry Sundown on the back of I Don't Want To Discuss It.

Part Soul, part cowboy film soundtrack - WHAT a vocal performance! Love it.

With a voice like that I often wonder what other awesome soul records he would have made in the 60s if he'd toned down the good time rocknroll stuff. Imagine him singing on some proper detroit stuff (not that he wasn't surrounded by great musicians at OKeh & Brunswick etc...) You're all going to point out all his great soul sides now aren't you?!!!  :)

Social source share

Flip of bobby sheen 'sweet sweet love' is a killer crossover 45, better than dr love by a country mile... Had John Bowie, don't remember there being anything much on the flip, but then tastes change over time don't they... I do love curry sauce with me chippies....

i agree, sweet, sweet love is a brilliant  track, much better than dr love. more of an ender i suppose, dont hear it played out much mind.

Social source share

Lorraine Chandler-I cant hold on the other side I cant remember ever hearing this played out VERY under estimated b side - She don't want you

Anyone ever played it ?

Social source share

Think the world has gone mad if people think the B side of Dr Love is better than the A side.

both brill, but SSL is more my taste.. Its all great music isn't it..

though 'Hurry Sundown' was the flip of Milt Greyson on MGM, in fact its the A side and a Movie theme tune of the same name..

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest WheelCity45

Flip over these classics:

The Malibus - Gee Baby

(What's This Coming)

The Flirtations - Stronger Than Her Love

(Settled Down)

Kris Peterson - Just As Much

(Unbelievable)

Sissy Houston - Don't Come Running To Me

(One Brocken Heart For Sale)

Patti & The Emblems - Its The Little Things

(Easy Come Easy Go)

Atb...

Social source share

How about the Broadways track on MGM, You Just Dont Know, nice mid tempo track, flip it for the real deal, Sweet And Heavenly Melody, a top notch belter. I,d put it on here but dont know how !

Social source share

Guest United Sound

It as been mentioned before somewhere that a great deal of American releases during the 60's opted for an up-tempo track on one side and a slower ballad type track on the other in the hope that the radio stations would "flip the record over" if not happy with the official topside. This sometimes worked for artists (possibly the most famous, although from a different genre/era was Gloria Gaynor - I will survive).

With regard the NS scene, in the early days (before NS was its name) both up-tempo (Rufus Lumley) and down-tempo (Jerry Jackson), released on British labels and was the norm. Then when NS was truly born the majority of sounds played were largely up-tempo (though not exclusively). It would seem that the slower tempo (and in a lot of cases) the b side to former sounds were then (re)discovered alongside new mid/down-tempo tracks.

I myself used to always turn the record over if only to check whether I had got "Two for the Price of One" (excuse the pun), but more famously in the circles I associated with was Steve Smith form Northants, who would introduce countless people to sides that had not been heard played out loud before (remember records sound totally different played in different surroundings), a practice that should be encouraged more (IMO).

R E Gards

G T Woods

Edited by United Sound
Social source share

Always listen to "B" sides, first thing i do when getting a new (to me) record in,loads that should be played, Although i was recently caught out, can't remember the record at the moment but it will come to me.

Social source share

B Sides, if you have the 45, you would have flipped it, Ive never even cast my eyes on this one, anybody know what the flip is like? Its not on You Tube by the way... which brings us to a good thread starter, Flip sides that very few have ever heard, for one reason or another?

Mr. Lucky, “Taking  A Chance on Love,”  the flip of  “Born To Love You”

Malcolm

The flip to Mr Lucky is a nice deep/slow soul ballad, although on the primative side as one would expect.....

Social source share

The thread is about B sides you seldom hear (good or bad) so here's one for you

The other side of Life - Tell me why - Reprise

Always seen as as double sided demo and same for the boots - the original issues have a proper B side...........................problem is, its kack. I remember buying the issue and praying the B side would be good but no, it wasnae!

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Kack!   laughs...Same as the colour of the label (Issue), so that should have followed... :wave:

The flip of June Jackson on Musette is a great track, 'Bottoms Up' its just the lyrics are kack...No really its a great track;   no it is....

That United Sounds - It's All Over (Baby) that Butch plays, one came up for sale on ebay not that long ago didn't it, and luckily for us, the seller put MP3's of both sides with the ad ... so you get a very nice slowie 'And When It's Over'... His voice reminds me of Chuck Freeman of the Drivers on American International, that 'Blackbird in Despair'.. great 45, actually the flip of that, the beginning is brilliant, intense horns... but then it drops and goes dare I say Kack...

Wondered whether The Bitter & the Sweet - P.O.W., is the flip of  'I wont Have any Babies for You' got POW on a CD from Buey some years ago, I have no idea what 45 its linked to..

Bits 'n Pieces - Did I scare You, is that a flip of Keep On Running Away? never owned it so no idea, surley that group have nice things lying in wait on the other side..

A flip I started listening to recently, cheap one as well,  Bobby Jones & The Para-Mounts - Check Me out, flips with Beware a Stranger of course, Great track..

They are out there folks...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

keep on running away and did i scare you are two separate bits and pieces 45s.

"it won't work out" by the bobbettes is inferior to the two versions recorded by the Lost Souls on Glasco. There is another version of the song by an artist whose name I forget (also not very good).

Social source share

keep on running away and did i scare you are two separate bits and pieces 45s.

"it won't work out" by the bobbettes is inferior to the two versions recorded by the Lost Souls on Glasco. There is another version of the song by an artist whose name I forget (also not very good).

I rate 'Did I scare you' it came out before KORA and it's like a proto version - I love it, should get more spins?

Got to disagree Boba - the 'other' version of 'It won't work out baby' by LaVern is fantastic and is the BEST version by a country mile (imho). Crossover perfection!

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I rate 'Did I scare you' it came out before KORA and it's like a proto version - I love it, should get more spins?

Got to disagree Boba - the 'other' version of 'It won't work out baby' by LaVern is fantastic and is the BEST version by a country mile (imho). Crossover perfection!

Cheers

Steve

i think "did i scare you" is also a better 45. i think the lavern is average, but different strokes for different folks. it's better than the bobbettes version in my opinion.

Social source share

i think "did i scare you" is also a better 45. i think the lavern is average, but different strokes for different folks. it's better than the bobbettes version in my opinion.

It'd be boring if we all liked the same things Bob  :yes:

I think LaVern has a similar quality to Almeta Latimore's 'These memories'

Hope you're well Sir?

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!