The Babysitters - Wait 'til I Get To Know Ya

Mal C

Just listening to this tonight, and realise Ive never actually seen or known the orig label for this 45,  anybody know, or have a scan, or was it a acetate jobbie? Its the Group version of Bobby Treetop - Wait Till I Get To Know Ya, of course...

Malcolm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes got this Mal.

Its on Spectator and as you say a version of Bobby Treetop, by Ken Williams and the Babysitters.A more gritty r'nb style version,same lyrics.

Put out on Spectator by KR and Herb Abrahamson of (Festival records etc),after KR found the tapes at HA's.Apparently a demo for BT.

KR put out 200 at Wigan.Downside - ?  lo fi recording although i have played it out the sound system nearly shook its self to death. :lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Never released Bob

I guess the SPECTATOR "label" credit in that CD was just a bunch of smoke and mirrors then?

I've always been led to believe that it was issued as a bootleg 45 in the 70's, but I've never seen a copy, so that's probably wrong.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Just found this written on here in 2008 by KevH:

"found out the Ken Williams "Get to know ya",is taken from master tapes originally owned by the Festival records boss.Done as a demo for Bobby Treetop. Later released as a batch of 200 in '79 on the Spectator label,by the then owner of the master tapes, who shall remain nameless"

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I guess the SPECTATOR "label" credit in that CD was just a bunch of smoke and mirrors then?

I've always been led to believe that it was issued as a bootleg 45 in the 70's, but I've never seen a copy, so that's probably wrong.

No I've had that bootleg, just mean it was never released in the 60's that's all.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In the latest Manship guide it is listed and seems to exist:

Ken Williams - Get To Know Ya' / same - SPECTATOR 2 (70s bootleg poor quality) - £20

Also, several mentions of it existing on the internet, but no proof.

Would love to see a scan of it in case it indeed exists.

I have seen this boot for sale at a Piercebridge All Dayer, in the mid-00s.

The guy had more than one for sale and they looked like they had just been done!

Selling them as limited ed. from label owner, lol.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Just found this written on here in 2008 by KevH:

"found out the Ken Williams "Get to know ya",is taken from master tapes originally owned by the Festival records boss.Done as a demo for Bobby Treetop. Later released as a batch of 200 in '79 on the Spectator label,by the then owner of the master tapes, who shall remain nameless"

It actually says a bit more than that in KevH post earlier in this thread.......   :)

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Maybe a boot maybe not.Just re-read the email from 2008 with corrections....

Released into the wild however in '79,ltd to 300.Not a "sousann" either.(But was never going to trouble Bobby Treetops version bitd.)

Herb Abrahamson is no longer with us, i believe,so only KR's word for it.(the master purchased from HA). I'll try and scan it ,but don't hold your breath,i'm pretty useless....... like Pete says white label,black print,same both sides....

Edited by KevH
Social source share

I'm sure I answered this question a few years ago.

1. It ain't a boot. Herb pressed 300 of each and I bought them all for the uk market. Sadly the quality was so poor, they didn't sell.

2. This and Charlotte Stokes Is this the price I have to pay were both unreleased demos that Herb Abramson(owner of Festival records and Original Atlantic partner) gave to me in 1977/78.

3. Same source gave me the instrumental acetate of Stronger than her love.

Sadly Herb is no longer with us.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

See post 23.

Sorry Kev not sure what you mean? I was just letting those who hadn't heard it know where they could. What I intended to convey was to the 'not knowing the origins' was that of the series of Lost Soul compilations  that appear on Spotify.

Social source share

Sorry Kev not sure what you mean? I was just letting those who hadn't heard it know where they could. What I intended to convey was to the 'not knowing the origins' was that of the series of Lost Soul compilations  that appear on Spotify.

I knew what you meant  :thumbsup:

Social source share

thanks for posting the pic. is the singer really a "ken williams" and not baby huey (james ramey)?

Bob...no idea on that one. All I remember is, I spent a pleasant afternoon listening to reels of 60's tapes owned by Herb. Most were Sidney Barness/JJ Jackson penned demos.

When 'To Get To Know Ya' came up, he referred to it as the Superiors and Okeh solo artist Ken Williams.

Social source share

Sorry Rich,thought you hadn't seen the scan with correct artist. :thumbsup:

Social source share

edit same post.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Bob...no idea on that one. All I remember is, I spent a pleasant afternoon listening to reels of 60's tapes owned by Herb. Most were Sidney Barness/JJ Jackson penned demos.

When 'To Get To Know Ya' came up, he referred to it as the Superiors and Okeh solo artist Ken Williams.

What I would give to listen to them tapes....!.........and where are they now? 

BTW Kev R. Is this the same batch you sourced the Ad-Libs version of "You'll always be in style"?

The connection being Sidney Barnes?

Triode

Social source share

Hope you dont Mind Kev, but here it is all cleaned up for your i-Tunes people...

M

Malc Does the record play for 3.07 as it only plays for 2.33 on the golden age of northern soul CD but the carver we have plays for 2.37 as it comes back in again at the end you know think it's finished but it hasn't.

Cheers Kirsty

Social source share

What I would give to listen to them tapes....!.........and where are they now? 

BTW Kev R. Is this the same batch you sourced the Ad-Libs version of "You'll always be in style"?

The connection being Sidney Barnes?

Triode

Nope. The Ad Libs came from April Blackwood and TM Music publishers. I cleared out their acetate inventory around 77/78

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!