Len Barry Is He Blue Eyed Or Not There ?

Sceneman

Theres the rub as they say:  "123" is pop, but if it hadn't charted and only sold a few copies, it would be "northern soul".  If you see what I mean.  The actual sound is 100% northern.

Same thing in reverse - if "You Don't Love Me Anymore" - Johnny Caswell had been a pop hit I guess........

Same sound pretty much...

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well if a record gets into the charts, it's a pop record, whether it's a soul record or a reggae record, if it's a hit, it becomes pop - but it's undeniably a soul record, like Israelites is clssic early reggae but gets called a pop record.  I know what I"m talking about if nobody else does.  Northern is meant to be underground - which is why you would rarely hear a million seller like 123 out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well if a record gets into the charts, it's a pop record, whether it's a soul record or a reggae record, if it's a hit, it becomes pop - but it's undeniably a soul record, like Israelites is clssic early reggae but gets called a pop record.  I know what I"m talking about if nobody else does.  Northern is meant to be underground - which is why you would rarely hear a million seller like 123 out.

Bessie Banks... Go Now... original recording... 100% Soul

Moody Blues... Go Now... cover version... 100% Pop

Is it Soul, is it Pop?

Social source share

Is it Soul, is it Pop?

First one is soul, second one is pop, no doubt about that in this case.

The fact that the second one is better than the first usually causes a few arguments though  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it Soul, is it Pop?

First one is soul, second one is pop, no doubt about that in this case.

The fact that the second one is better than the first usually causes a few arguments though  :lol:

Yeah, someone should start a topic on that subject....

:lol:

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

its like trying to define hip hop

its not black or white

its just taste

its just music

if it sounds right to you, then it is right

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

In interviews Len Barry has expressed his bitterness that he never achieved the fame in the US that his talent deserved because of a kind of "reverse racism" .

When 1-2-3 was first released, it was as big a smash on black radio stations as it was elsewhere but when it was discovered that he was white they stopped programming his follow up releases and so hampered their chart potential.   This was particularly  galling for him as he regarded himself very much as a genuine "soul" singer .

He was equally bitter with the fact that his record label Decca dictated to him what his follow up releases to 1-2-3 should be. They were trying to steer him towards the white, middle of the road pop market (eg "Somewhere" from West Side Story) whereas he wanted them to put out his gritty soul orientated Motown sounding tunes.

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Now that we've triumphed against insurmountable odds and discovered that Len Barry is white (just as he looks in all the pictures and film footage of him) what colour eyes do we think Frank Sinatra had...?

We all know that Frank was reckoned to have blue eyes but watch some smart Alec come on here and insist they were actually Hazel (with close up footage) :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

found this on popsike

Artist : LEN BARRY 

Title : 'IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR'

Format LP  Label & Catalogue No. UK DECCA TEST PRESS (LAT 8656)  Country and year of issue  UK 1966 Cover Condition N/A Disc Condition EXCELLENT 

According to 'Record Collector', only 3 copies of this LP are known about! (I've pasted the article below).This LP belonged to someone who worked for Decca, in the 60's and was never released. No cover, or artwork was sanctioned either.

It seems that it's release was due on or about the date that Len Barry was about to sign with RCA, so all production stopped. I find it incredible that no copies were pressed at all in the U.S., but there you go.

As for the music, well it's a top bit of blue eyed northern soul, which you'd expect from Len Barry. A couple of the tracks were issued as 45's and the remainder have been booted over the years. I've listed the tracks below.

You see some really mediocre stuff on ebay where the seller says "You won't see this one again, for a long time", but in this case the phrase is warranted!

price 647

Edited by sceneman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well Mr Sceneman, you've had quite a varied response so far, are you any wiser?

We know he's white with ? colour eyes, educated in a soulful environment,

a talented singer but the question of his material being Pop or Soul I think

remains unconvincing. :) 

Social source share

found this on popsike

Artist : LEN BARRY

Title : 'IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR'

Format LP Label & Catalogue No. UK DECCA TEST PRESS (LAT 8656) Country and year of issue UK 1966 Cover Condition N/A Disc Condition EXCELLENT

According to 'Record Collector', only 3 copies of this LP are known about! (I've pasted the article below).This LP belonged to someone who worked for Decca, in the 60's and was never released. No cover, or artwork was sanctioned either.

It seems that it's release was due on or about the date that Len Barry was about to sign with RCA, so all production stopped. I find it incredible that no copies were pressed at all in the U.S., but there you go.

As for the music, well it's a top bit of blue eyed northern soul, which you'd expect from Len Barry. A couple of the tracks were issued as 45's and the remainder have been booted over the years. I've listed the tracks below.

You see some really mediocre stuff on ebay where the seller says "You won't see this one again, for a long time", but in this case the phrase is warranted!

price 647

which ones were booted
Social source share

as white singers go, with a genuine feeling for soul music, len is as close as damn it, probably moreso than paul anka...but then these guys got to hang with the best black america had to offer and it obviously rubbed off....len got to mix with the guys on the philly block and the result is a collection of tunes with a fair representation of the sound of soul. love "you can't sit down" with the dovells, big mod tune way back when as was "hearts are trumps " & "little white house", cut for cameo....then came all the brunswick stuff, all worthy club sounds through the 60's into the 70's.....then lo and behold, we get his unreleased version of "when you call me baby"...i think he knew what he wanted and even if it didn't make a hit, he wanted quality production...that's exactly what he got...you can never really believe that bobby goldsborough had any affinity with soul music, though his "northern" contributions owe much to the fact they made the right sound....so that, in effect, puts len firmly in the soul camp...do we argue about dusty then?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Slight tangent...Sarah Vaughan's version of '1-2-3' is ace and possibly a bit overlooked. Can't find on youtube . Had it on Mercury 7" for donkey's years but also found the LP in a charity a few years back. that's got one or two other belters on it.

If I like it, I don't really care what category a record is in, much less what the artist looked like. This is on the jukebox in one of my locals. Superb record. I am sure it would have got spins if it had it been by some obscure / unknown artist.... (mind you, I do love the singer's other records as well and the work of the fella who wrote / produced it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Yj9oHikgY

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!