Len Barry Is He Blue Eyed Or Not There ?

Sceneman

i have always been confused by old Len ,is he a blue eyed boy or just a pop records singer ??

where does he stand ? no doubt he was lucky with 123 but what if  J Radcliffe had done it instead ?

or by some other black singer it could have all been so different .

he is on the northern compilations so that should settle it right ?

Social source share

I think he's got at least one foot in the soul camp - I think the backing tracks have quite a good 'big city soul' feel. His voice could do with a bit of grit that's all. He's from Philly so I guess he must have picked up on what was happening there soul wise.

Social source share

His versions of "It's a crying shame" and "I'll always need you" are excellent. To be honest, when I first heard Dean Courtney at Wigan in 73', I thought he was blued eyed soul and even Jimmy Radcliffe. Danny Wagner another great singer. As Pete says, a great production team behind him.

Social source share

I struck it rich, like a baby, its that time of the year, love, love, love, I, ll always need you, you baby, and the relatively new find on the kent cd say it all for me.. top, top singer, great material, with tremendous producers and musicians. I think I have missed one biggie, but am rushing this?

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I struck it rich, like a baby, its that time of the year, love, love, love, I, ll always need you, you baby, and the relatively new find on the kent cd say it all for me.. top, top singer, great material, with tremendous producers and musicians. I think I have missed one biggie, but am rushing this?

Social source share

i see he was sued by motown as they thought  123  a bit too similar to 'ask any girl'  by the supremes so what do you reckon ?

he wrote 123 so thats good enough i reckon ,and with his voice its a classic IMO .

so i can sleep easy tonight .

Len is in the right camp

Social source share

Funny this should come up as I've been listening to his Decca stuff over the weekend. I've actually always loved his voice as I listened to his stuff as I was growing up. The productions are just incredible too. 

Has anyone ever heard the album he did for Buddah in 1972 by any chance? Judging by the sleeve and the title I'm not holding my breath.........,.

R-5065854-1383571929-8268.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/Len-Barry-Ups-And-Downs/release/5065854

Ian D  :D

Social source share

An incredibly talented singer and songwriter and a 100% soul man, regardless of the colour of his skin.

Growing up as a jewish kid in a black neighbourhood in Philadelphia, he's always viewed himself and his life as part of the black experience.

He even wrote a book a few years ago titled "Black Like Me"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He was the lead singer of the Dovells who had several hits in the USA before the "British invasion", Bristol Stomp, You Can't Sit Down, Hully Gully Baby.

I've got one on a CD by him on Cameo Parkway, Hearts Are Trump, which is nice but I've never heard it played out. Presume it was before 1-2-3.

Just played 1-2-3 on YouTube, I'm not at home, and it took me right back to the Scene and when I was 19, loved that record, always got up for it. And does it really matter what ethnicity he is? It's the music that counts surely.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i have always been confused by old Len ,is he a blue eyed boy or just a pop records singer ??

where does he stand ? no doubt he was lucky with 123 but what if  J Radcliffe had done it instead ?

or by some other black singer it could have all been so different .

he is on the northern compilations so that should settle it right ?

... And Len Wade - Bossbeat :yes: 

Edited by Zanetti
Social source share

Funny this should come up as I've been listening to his Decca stuff over the weekend. I've actually always loved his voice as I listened to his stuff as I was growing up. The productions are just incredible too. 

Has anyone ever heard the album he did for Buddah in 1972 by any chance? Judging by the sleeve and the title I'm not holding my breath.........,.

R-5065854-1383571929-8268.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/Len-Barry-Ups-And-Downs/release/5065854

Ian D  :D

Funnily  enough i found a copy of this the other week in oxfam, couple of quid in mint condition. not got round to playing it though.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

nope :D  ... question was if someone knows what is Len Wade ... blue-eyed aswell ?

Dunno about blue eyes but he was and still is white

https://redkelly.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/tikis-vocal-by-len-wade-minaret-111.html

It Comes And It Goes (Dial) is one of the blackest sounding "white" records one is likely to hear

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Len Wade is definitely white and 'It Comes And It Goes' is one of my all-time favourite deep soul ballads.

I really can't think of a more convincing soul performance by a white man.

Paul

Social source share

that 123 single is ethereal and seems to come from somewhere on high ,its stretching it a bit for motown to claim it was a copoff of the Supremes 45 and they have credits on the title now .

the confusion set in many years ago at a party when the record was played some herbert claimed it wasnt soul and turned off the music and we nearly came to blows

Edited by sceneman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Len Wade is definitely white and 'It Comes And It Goes' is one of my all-time favourite deep soul ballads.

I really can't think of a more convincing soul performance by a white man.

Paul

It's funny, the 'It Comes and it goes' side sounds really classic black, deep soul, but my favourite side is the flip 'Whatcha gonna do' where he sounds a lot lighter in voice, not unlike Little Anthony. They could be two different singers to my ears. Great 45 though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm well into Len Barry stuff,however his voice sounds weak sometimes,compared to the likes of Steve marriott or steve winwood,I suppose lens voice is more of a silky sound!  He is like a Cary Grant with a soul...haha

Edited by dobber
Social source share

In my view, 123, Like a Baby and I struck it Rich should have been candidates

for Top of the Pops as was Wayne Gibson... Under my Thumb, yet they are all

classed as "Northern" which puzzles me! My take on Northern seems different

to some folk, having said that I shall now listen to Lens lesser known stuff

and come to a conclusion.

Social source share

Top man, his version of 36-22-36 with the dovells is great although it shows his vocal limitations but I love his 'rainy side of the street' and dont get why it's not a classic.

has the feel of 'wrong man' and contains the line 'I'm so befuddled just walking around in them puddles'... superb

Edited by penny
Social source share

In my view, 123, Like a Baby and I struck it Rich should have been candidates

for Top of the Pops as was Wayne Gibson... Under my Thumb, yet they are all

classed as "Northern" which puzzles me! My take on Northern seems different

to some folk, having said that I shall now listen to Lens lesser known stuff

and come to a conclusion.

Theres the rub as they say:  "123" is pop, but if it hadn't charted and only sold a few copies, it would be "northern soul".  If you see what I mean.  The actual sound is 100% northern.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Len Barry, his "1-2-3" was the first Soulsong I listened to outside Motown, also amongst the first 45s I ever found. All his Decca 45s came with nice looking picture sleeves here in Germany. His ex-drummer who can be heared on all his Decca recordings used to live in Berlin.

I interviewed him in 1988/89. He was in a soulband over here. Wonder what ever happened to him..

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Theres the rub as they say:  "123" is pop, but if it hadn't charted and only sold a few copies, it would be "northern soul".  If you see what I mean.  The actual sound is 100% northern.

Er Peter, I get easily puzzled... "123" is Pop but its 100% Northern???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!