The Trent Sisters

Guest The Wommbat

Guest The Wommbat

Anyone have an idea of the value of The Trent Sisters "A Letter A Day" on Gogate? I have a line on one here in California and I want to get an idea of it's true value. Thanks!

Social source share

Guest The Wommbat

I'm meeting the guy this weekend to take a look. He hasn't mentiond any price yet so I am trying to get an idea of the value so I'll know if his asking price is reasonable. He says the condition is very good. Any ideas on value? Is the above offer realistic? Thanks

Social source share

Guest The Wommbat

I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea but it still has value. I'm getting the feeling no one really knows for sure. I'll see what the seller is asking and let you all know.

Social source share

Took me 25+ years to get one. Fantastic and dog rare.

Would I sell it for 2k? Not even nearly.

People want 1k+ these days for records that aren't even rare, never mind genuinely so.

:D sorry Phil I know you always wanted it. It is very rare, but just not for me.

Now Little John, well that's right up my strasse  :thumbup:

Social source share

I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea but it still has value. I'm getting the feeling no one really knows for sure. I'll see what the seller is asking and let you all know.

No offence intended mate, it is a very rare piece and some people seem to love it. And indeed it will be very valuable.  :wink:

Social source share

Eyup Phil

Little John can't sing either mate but I still absolutely love that record too because, like the Trent Sisters, it epitomises a time and a place when there was still a whiff of 'f*ckin get a load of this' in the all night air.

Theres nothing quite like a drop of finest Wilson Turbinton champagne but you can't beat a wee dram of crazy Gogate whiskey when the moon is full lol.

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

I remember when Ion had this in his sales box for ages at Stafford and couldnt sell it for peanuts lol How times change eh :)

Social source share

I remember when Ion had this in his sales box for ages at Stafford and couldnt sell it for peanuts lol How times change eh :)

And Tony's. I picked the blighter up :huh: Sooo many records at that time I should've bought with hindsight but absolutely no money or real idea at the time as a callow yoof. I try really hard not to think about it

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

Not really mate, I still think it would be of interest to a very limited few collector / Dj's. But with the internet, it's become much easier to find those interested parties.

1. It's going to be a four figure sum. That is a very limiting factor.

2. It's not a popular tune. This limits it even more.

In my humble opinion, if more than half a dozen turned up it would be almost impossible to sell.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

In my humble opinion, if more than half a dozen turned up it would be almost impossible to sell.

if i turned up half a dozen cheap Id risk the impossibility of selling them lol

Social source share

You would have to be very careful and sneak them out over a long period. You only have to see what happens when a single copy of a rare record turns up. The scare mongers are out in force on this forum saying it's a bootleg, or it's turned up. 

Six turning up would see owners of said record throwing themselves out of the windows of high rise buildings.  :rofl:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You would have to be very careful and sneak them out over a long period. You only have to see what happens when a single copy of a rare record turns up. The scare mongers are out in force on this forum saying it's a bootleg, or it's turned up. 

Six turning up would see owners of said record throwing themselves out of the windows of high rise buildings.  :rofl:

I agree,raretie can be its worse enemie sometimes!

Social source share

Not really mate, I still think it would be of interest to a very limited few collector / Dj's. But with the internet, it's become much easier to find those interested parties.

1. It's going to be a four figure sum. That is a very limiting factor.

2. It's not a popular tune. This limits it even more.

The reason it isn't popular is probably due to its rarity.  There would still be enough interested in this disc for it to sell.  Obviously the price would be affected after the first two or three.

Social source share

Guest The Wommbat

Wow, very interesting banter going on here. I appreciate all of you that chimed in. Other than 4 figures, and that can range from $1000 to $9999, I don't know what this record is worth. Tomorrow is the big day, I'll see what the

asking price is.

Social source share

Following the molten nuggets of bronzed wisdom offered up here I got up this morning and snapped the fecker in half first thing. Still not 'quality' of course but even rarer now at least so you're potential sale to 1.5 potential buyers, globally, might still go ok mate; fingers crossed. Now, where's that Little John piece of sh*t?

hey phil you like em and you believe in em.....all that matters..dont matter what me or anyone else thinks

ps i dont think they are shit.....but way down on my list even if i had the money but if i could buy them because i could maybe i would lol

Social source share

last copy i knew of being sold came from cali to uk was m- and for $200 roughly 5 years ago.  

i seem to recall james trouble trying to buy it off the new owner (one of many people he had had spats with) with hilarious publicly displayed bile laden consequences.

one of those situations where previous incidents of running your mouth off comes backs to haunt your wants list. the seller publicly refused to sell it to him at any price. where it ended up and for how much im not sure.  

Social source share

hey phil you like em and you believe in em.....all that matters..dont matter what me or anyone else thinks

ps i dont think they are shit.....but way down on my list even if i had the money but if i could buy them because i could maybe i would lol

It's too late Dave; I've just shot Little John in a fit of pique :lol:   

It's always been full of healthy debate and divergent taste which has gotta be a good thing ain't it. One example would be that Joseph Webster thing on Crow. If I found a box I'd  take a hammer to every copy in the blink of an eye :wicked: Some people love it, it's undeniably rare and commands a heavy price. I think it's sh*t of the highest order and a prime example of 'rarity over quality' if you like. And so it goes on ...

Take it easy mate

atb

Phil

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

last copy i knew of being sold came from cali to uk was m- and for $200 roughly 5 years ago.  

i seem to recall james trouble trying to buy it off the new owner (one of many people he had had spats with) with hilarious publicly displayed bile laden consequences.

one of those situations where previous incidents of running your mouth off comes backs to haunt your wants list. the seller publicly refused to sell it to him at any price. where it ended up and for how much im not sure.  

$200?  Given away.

£2445 on JM auction in 2008. 

Social source share

Wow, very interesting banter going on here. I appreciate all of you that chimed in. Other than 4 figures, and that can range from $1000 to $9999, I don't know what this record is worth. Tomorrow is the big day, I'll see what the

asking price is.

If it comes for $3k or less you've swum the channel!! If it's $4k it's still cheap!! imho

Social source share

It's too late Dave; I've just shot Little John in a fit of pique :lol:   

It's always been full of healthy debate and divergent taste which has gotta be a good thing ain't it. One example would be that Joseph Webster thing on Crow. If I found a box I'd  take a hammer to every copy in the blink of an eye :wicked: Some people love it, it's undeniably rare and commands a heavy price. I think it's sh*t of the highest order and a prime example of 'rarity over quality' if you like. And so it goes on ...

Take it easy mate

atb

Phil

i think joseph webster is probably worse in all honesty..never got on with it..messy racket just like jerry washington

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

To my ears, both the known Go-Gate releases are proper "all-nighter" hard edged, unpolished northern soul of the highest quality. 

When I first heard the Trent Sisters, the chorus "Letter A Day" seemed overwhelming, almost monotonous, but like many great 45s you have to hear out loud and a good few times too. At just over 2 minutes long, the Trent Sisters has now become one of my favourite records ever.

It's rarity has most definitely held back it's popularity. As to value... £3k+, anything less would be an exceptional acquisition. A few more copies 'in the right hands' would take the record to its full potential. The same is of the Little John 45.

The rumoured 3rd release would be interesting  (if it indeed exists), my suspicion is that it does, as i've heard from 3 unrelated sources it was cut and  pressed, one side is up-tempo, the flip a bluesy deep number.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To my ears, both the known Go-Gate releases are proper "all-nighter" hard edged, unpolished northern soul of the highest quality. 

When I first heard the Trent Sisters, the chorus "Letter A Day" seemed overwhelming, almost monotonous, but like many great 45s you have to hear out loud and a good few times too. At just over 2 minutes long, the Trent Sisters has now become one of my favourite records ever.

It's rarity has most definitely held back it's popularity. As to value... £3k+, anything less would be an exceptional acquisition. A few more copies 'in the right hands' would take the record to its full potential. The same is of the Little John 45.

The rumoured 3rd release would be interesting  (if it indeed exists), my suspicion is that it does, as i've heard from 3 unrelated sources it was cut and  pressed, one side is up-tempo, the flip a bluesy deep number.

Do you mean a third release on the label,or by one of the artists? If you mean a third release on the label,then it does exist,it was on eBay not long ago,it had sound files,and it was bloody dreadful,so bad that you couldn't even convince yourself it's good tune just because of the label.

Social source share

I'm absolutely astounded that anyone into dance music can think that Joseph Webster is shite and the Trent Sisters is good.

I am not usually a fan of 70's records but to me Joseph Webster along with Little Major Williams are the best examples of 70's dance music I have ever had the pleasure of dancing to. 

Amazing how we can all be into northern and yet have such massive differences in taste.

Social source share

I am not usually a fan of 70's records but to me Joseph Webster along with Little Major Williams are the best examples of 70's dance music I have ever had the pleasure of dancing to.

Whilst wearing headband n sandals n tooting on your whistle Phil?

Social source share

Sorry to go against the general consensus but I think both the Trent Sisters and Little John are great northern records, and would like both of them even if they weren't rare. 

But then again I also like Joseph Webster so obviously have no taste in music at all......................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry to go against the general consensus but I think both the Trent Sisters and Little John are great northern records, and would like both of them even if they weren't rare.

But then again I also like Joseph Webster so obviously have no taste in music at all......................

Let you off George lol

Hope you're well mate

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!