Found This On Youtube, What Do You Think ?

Guest Kadikoy

Guest Dave Turner

One of those records where there are a few good versions so most everyone will have a favourite.

Either it be Tyrone Davis, Doug Haynes, Don Bryant, Gene Chandler, Charles Pryor or others

Personally my fave is Don Bryant's LP only cut but like I said everyone will have their own personal choice.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

One of those records where there are a few good versions so most everyone will have a favourite.

Either it be Tyrone Davis, Doug Haynes, Don Bryant, Gene Chandler, Charles Pryor or others

Personally my fave is Don Bryant's LP only cut but like I said everyone will have their own personal choice.

That's an awesome version Dave - didn't know it so thanks for posting  :thumbsup:

So how many versions were there and can we list them all?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Without searching Richard there are the ones I listed above plus Chuck's plus there are a lot of reggae versions as well

I also like Charles Pryor as "I Just Want To (Change My Mind)" which is considerably different but obviously borrows a lot from the Tyrone Davis ... appeals to my deeper side

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Without searching Richard there are the ones I listed above plus Chuck's plus there are a lot of reggae versions as well

I also like Charles Pryor as "I Just Want To (Change My Mind)" which is considerably different but appeals to my deeper side

Thanks Dave

I actually have the Charles Pryor but didn't realise the connection.

Nice one.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

think above folk have said it, very Nice, Love chuck, but you simply cant beat Tyrone Davis...

Ohh, wait there not heard Don Bryant before.... thats done it Dave, Urrrrrrrr.... I'm getting me head turned here... :huh:  how can I not say Tyrone is the best, Its SOUL BLASTPHEMY!!

M

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Just to add a little more to this, there's at least 3 different mixes of the Tyrone Davis recording of this song.

The LP itself and the Dakar 45 - the LP just being longer than the 45

The the Roulette release with Eddie Holman's 'Hey there lonely girl' on the flip side. - This one is the same backing track as the Dakar but without the horns and added female backing singer.

The MCA release with Eddie Holman as above - Same backing track but without the horns and no female backing singer. this one has a much lower sound to the recording.

The Goldies  release, also having Eddie Holman on the flip. - This one is the same recording as the MCA release but this time it's a much louder recording so the instruments can be heard easier.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!